"Check New Posts" link

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Ok, so every time I log into the message board I always click on "Check New Posts" link (or whatever it's called). You know, so I don't have to look at the threads that don't have new posts. Anyway, lately when I log in and click that link it tells me that there are no new posts even though there were new posts. Then I go back to the main board, and then **poof** all of the new posts are now marked "read". Why? Why? Why? Why? I am not a speed reader. I cannot read many new posts in the single click of a mouse. So, why? Am I don't something wrong, is there a "bug" in the system, or is this just another case of my computer being super evil?

I need to go listen to some calming music...

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emmy,

Thanks for letting us know about this. Hopefully some of these tips will help.

Go to your user control panel above. Click on the "edit options" link. Be sure that both of these options are set to "yes". If not change them from "no" to "yes".

1. Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies)
2. Browse board with cookies?

When you are finished with the forum, try to close the window on your browser. If you leave the forum window open for a long-time, it may mark your messages as read.

If you continue to have difficultly, log out when you are done reading messages. This will definitely take care of the problem for you if the above changes do not. There is a log-out link on the front page of the forum. Then next time you visit, log-in on the front page (just like on our old Delphi forum) and the new messages will appear as unread.

If you need additional help, please let us know. Others may have some additional tips as well.

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Thanks Phil!

I tried that, and the new messages are still there (then again, sometimes they disappear, and sometimes they don't)...

GWGumby

Reaction score
I have this problem too. I normally check the board at work with Netscape, but at home I use IE (6.0). I have the problem at home, but not at work. I'm logged in and set to use cookies at both places.

Sometimes it does work at home on IE, but only intermittently. I have yet to solve the problem. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you click on the "log-out link" on the front of the forum when done reading? That should definitely help.

Luke

Reaction score
If logging in/out isnt working (clearing the cookies) and all the posts are still there when you come back and log in it sounds like you'll need to delete the cookies either manually or through internet explorer and start over.

towels

Reaction score
Wouldn't cookies be more likely to indicate posts you've read haven't been read than to indicate that posts you haven't read have been?

I think I griped about this a couple of upgrades ago. Glad to hear others are having the same trouble. (Well, not glad for them but...maybe the squeaky wheel will get the grease)

smcguire

Reaction score
I was having similar problems, but after Phillip suggested that I be sure to log in and log out every time I read the forums, they went away - now it precisely remembers what I've read and what I haven't.

Be sure to go log out on *all* the browsers you use to read the forums first (I had cookies in like sixdifferent browers on three different computers).

Good luck!

--Scott McGuire

towels

Reaction score
It seems to me that there is a flaw in the program then. Automatically logging in should be a feature, not a disadvantage.
(Oy, the passwords...)

Luke

Reaction score
I wouldn't say to log in/out every single time - just every time you have this kinda problem. It clears the cookies that have probably got mixed up somehow.