Celebrating 40 Years of Fraggle Rock

superboober

Reaction score
Back in the day, we probably never imagined reaching this milestone, but it's now 40 years since the show debuted on January 10, 1983. And yours truly was a hardcore viewer for most of the original run, eagerly awaiting each Monday night at 7:30 for the zoom in through Doc's window and hard right turn through the Fraggle hole to follow Gobo down to the Great Hall for a half hour of sheer joy. While we may not have world peace yet, and may never get all the way there, there's no question Jim's hopes of trying through the program was laudable. And I have tried to carry the show's lessons with me all these years later, for they, like the program itself are timeless. We cannot leave the magic indeed; it stays with us once you get a taste of it. And may it continue to enliven all of us who have known it.

Side note: for most of the run, of course, the show was prefaced by the HBO Family Showcase variant of their immortal Starship intro--which 3 year me was convinced Doc had built and was piloting through space, since in my mind he of course was a network employee and the first person they'd go to to build something like that. That he and Sprocket took it well up beyond the solar system (with the Fraggle Five naturally jumping on board to see what was going on) and into another dimension via warp drive, and when the director gave him the go signal, he brought it back to our space and maneuvered it into position to get the shots they wanted. Anyone else here imagine this scenario when they were younger?