Best of The Muppet Show: Time Life vs. Columbia releases?

rexcrk

Reaction score
I've decided to get myself the Best of The Muppet Show DVDs. I initially stayed away from these back when they first came out because I couldn't justify spending what they were charging for three episodes on a disc x fifteen lol and decided to hold out on season sets (and my waiting paid off! For the most part).

But, seeing as how it's unlikely we'll ever get seasons 4 and 5 on DVD, I'm tracking these down. I know there are two versions: the original Time Life releases and ones released widely by Columbia.

I'm sure the on-disc content is the same, but are there any possible differences between the two releases that make one better than the other? Does it make a difference at all?

Thanks!

MuppetGuy75

Reaction score
I own the Time-Life set and they are great! Mostly because many of the episodes they had were from season 4 and 5! You don't get them all but it's better than nothing! Plus you get opening trivia bits from Jim's son Brian. Good stuff! :smile:

gravy

Reaction score
The DVD versions are good if you'd rather not watch them chronologically online, but I'd rather recommend DVDs for better quality. Personally, I really don't know the difference between the 2 releases, but they're better than watching VHS rips.

jobi71

Reaction score
A bit from column A and a bit from column B. I think the first three season sets are very good (and close to excellent). There are a few musical numbers not included (due to licensing issues I believe?) You get some extra features and it is the full season. I own all three. With the Time Life discs I initially (pre-season releases) purchased two that contained my favorite episodes. So my suggestion is look at what episodes are on the season discs. And then supplement with Time Life. Yes you will end up with some duplicates, but that way I think you get the most variety and episodes for viewing. Either way you are getting Muppet Show episodes to view, so there isn't a bad choice.

Oh, I missed a part of your original post where I believe you say you have the season sets. Well as for Time Life - if there are only key episodes you want then seek those discs, and I know a few are pricier than others. If you want as much as possible and have some money to spend get both. If I had that money I would do the same.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I have 2 "best of the muppet shows". One is a VHS tape (time-life video) with the Belafonte, Ronstadt, and John Denver episodes. The other is a DVD (Columbia) with Raquel Welch,:flirt: Star Wars, and Paul Simon. There's no real difference from what I know. Obviously, the DVDs have some extra tidbits, but nothing mind-blowing that you can't find online.