1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31, 2019.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Below the Frame Season 3 Episode 1: Caroll Spinney Tribute

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Phillip, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Here's the latest edition of "Below the Frame" with the Muppeteers of Sesame Street.

This is the first live stream from the shooting of Season 50 which begins airing on HBO in November 2019 and PBS in September 2020.

[​IMG]

Below the Frame videos and live segments premiere weekly while Sesame Street is in production. Follow Matt Vogel on Facebook for live videos and updates as they happen. Matt is the host of "Below the Frame" while Stephanie D'Abruzzo performs the theme and produces "Below the Frame" extras when the Muppeteers aren't live on Facebook.

If you enjoyed this video, please like this message and share your thoughts below.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  2. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Seeing Alan as Caroll makes me smile. I'm really excited to see those bits from the retirement party.

3. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Dang, Elmo's Daddy is huge!

5. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Ikr. His head is bigger than Richard Hunt's ego!

6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Wow, they recorded the whole retirement party show (though I'm not really surprised). IF they put out a special DVD for the 50th anniversary, they should include some of it as a bonus feature.

I heard that when The Jim Henson Company honored Caroll Spinney with an event a few months ago, there was a sketch featuring a puppet version of Jim Henson. I wonder if the one pictured from the event is the same one. Could it have even been the same sketch?

7. D'Snowth

8. Pig's Laundry

:laugh::laugh:

No, but seriously, that whole episode was absolutely amazing. It was beautiful, and it almost made me feel like I was there. It's hard to put into words but, I just love Caroll, I love all the people in this video, and the episode made me ridiculously happy. Can't wait for more Below The Frame!

Any Del likes this.
  9. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Those retirement party videos are great. Big Bird's reaction to Caroll talking to him in his Big Bird voice was the best: "Hi, Big Bird! That feels weird."

10. Pig's Laundry

My favorite one of the retirement videos is definitely the one with Matt and Eric. Can the two of them just do more sketches like that, please? Seriously, this is the type of nerdy content I didn't know I needed.

And the one with Big Bird's poem to Caroll, I think I could hear Matt getting a little emotional there in the middle.

EDIT: Also, I soooo wish we could see that What's My Line? sketch with Cookie, Ernie, and The Count, and the skit where Alan Muroaka plays Caroll. Really would love to see that.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    dwayne1115 likes this.
  11. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

When Jim was alive he was the face of the Muppets. After his death Brian tried to fill that role to an extent, but here lately Matt has become that, but maybe that's me.

12. Pig's Laundry

And rightly so, i'd say. I mean, it makes sense considering he's now the most famous characters from both The Muppets and Sesame Street, not to mention the show's puppet captain.

You know, I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Big Bird and Oscar are played by the same guys who do Kermit and Miss Piggy. It's so weird.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  13. dwayne1115

Having two different performers for Oscar and Big Bird may be interesting. Look at the dynamic Grover and Cookie have developed over recent years.

As for Matt I'd say you're right. He has really been able to do wonders with Big Bird and his other Classic Muppet Characters.

The one thing I want to see from Matt with Big Bird is an emotional story. I wanna see how Matt handles something like that. Because Carol was simply wonderful with those kinds of parts like in Follow that Bird or learning about death.

As far as Eric is concerned, I think he was the best recast in most recent years.

14. D'Snowth

Have there been any other BTF episode since? I know Matt said the scheduling for BTF was going to be a little inconsistent this year, and so far, I don't recall seeing any notifications for any further episodes since the Caroll Spinney tribute.

15. D'Snowth

Stephanie explained on Twitter this evening that because of all that had been going on with Season 50 taking up so much of Matt's time that they couldn't do any more BTF this year. :(

16. dwayne1115

I mean he is now Big Bird, and the Count full time now. He may also be directing now as well so yea I can see that time would be an issue.

17. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

'Tis a shame, but that's the rub. It's too bad Stephanie couldn't cook up some pre-taped stuff in the meantime.

18. dwayne1115

Also Matt just posted on his Facebook page a picture from the Wizard of Oz show Kermit is hosting. He said it will be running till the 30th so I'm wondering if he will be doing each show, or have to go back to Sesame. I really hope for Kermit and the Muppet Show Muppets he stays and does all the shows, because that is something Steve Whitmire said Disney has wanted to do from the beginning, having several puppeteers for one character.

19. Pig's Laundry

Yesterday was the last week of shooting on season 50, so he should be available for all of the Wizard of Oz shows.

20. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Matt Vogel is kind of like the modern day Jim Henson. He has two shows he’s working on along with directing and writing. Plus he has a plethora of the characters like Sweetums, Floyd, Lew Zeland, Count, Big Bird, and Kermit.