Are good puppeteers also good at drawing?

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you out there are not only good puppeteers, but can also draw really, really, well? I wonder if there is a link? I just ran through my noggin how many really good puppeteers there are that are also very artistic, and I was amazed to find about 90% of them were! This might be a stupid question, but these are the type of things I think about while on vacation :smile:

puppetise

Reaction score
well over the years i have gotton really gtood at drawing mystical creatures and live animal scetches

Teenager's

Reaction score
I draw all the time and have for awhile....and I think when it comes to puppets....Personally if I can't draw it I can't build it.

maniacal muppet

Reaction score
("Begins big, stuck-up voice, kinda like Link's") Well, if I do say so myself, I'm not too bad of a puppeteer and I have a talent for drawing as well... (Insert Link smiley here.):smile:

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I actually started as a a cartoonist and found puppetry as another outlet for my creativity ( I also developed some issues with my fine motor skills and found operating a puppet easier than drawing). Ironically I get paid by the school I work at to teach art and puppetry to children so its all good. I also have to teach fourth grade every day so I am happy summer is coming (for a whole month I get paid to do nothing but work with puppets... I couldn't ask for a better job)!

spcglider

Reaction score
Most puppet builders need a modicum of 2-D artistic talent simply for doing sketches of what they intend to build. And that seems to be fairly universal.

I'd be interested to see, however, the correllation between the types of puppets that they are involved with and the art style the are most proficient at. Do Muppet-style puppet folks excel at cartoon-y art? Do marionette puppeteers excel at finer, more realistic interpretations? Etc.

-Gordon

Super Scooter

Reaction score
When I was younger, I either wanted to be a comic book artist or a puppeteer. Not meaning to "blow my own horn", but I think I'm fairly good at drawing/painting.

Teenager's

Reaction score
I'd be interested to see, however, the correllation between the types of puppets that they are involved with and the art style the are most proficient at. Do Muppet-style puppet folks excel at cartoon-y art? Do marionette puppeteers excel at finer, more realistic interpretations? Etc.

-Gordon
Oh.....Thats an interesting question Gordon...

ploobis

Reaction score
I am a puppeteer and a cartoonist my self.

I think Caroll Spinney was a cartoonist too. He drew the Mr. Hooper portrait on Big Bird's wall.