April Fools: Muppets to do TV special with Belinda Carlisle and other '80s stars

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's just been announced that, after the success of last Thanksgiving's Lady Gaga special, that the Muppets are now going to do a special with various pop stars from the 1980s, but mostly Belinda Carlisle.

The special will be entitled "Belinda Carlisle and the Muppets Karaoke Jam", and will find them at a 1980s-themed karaoke bar, using a special karaoke machine built by Dr. Bunsen Honeydew to make the karaoke experience more fun: in addition to just reading the lyrics and singing, they'll also get virtual settings. Belinda Carlisle and the Muppets will sing some of her hits, including "Heaven is a Place on Earth", "I Get Weak", and "Leave a Light On", as well as such '80s hit songs as "Crazy for You", "You Can't Take No for an Answer", "You Can Call Me Al", "The Midnight Star", and "Private Eyes".

They will also be joined by other pop stars who were primarily popular in the 1980s, including Pat Benatar, Debbie Gibson (Disney's first choice for the special, but her schedule only allows for one number), and The Bangles. Said a Disney representative, "With how popular our Muppets have been in the past few years, I thought it'd be great to use the Muppets to repopularize many of my favorite pop singers from the 1980s, ones who had a few more minutes than 15 minutes of fame."

Obviously, the special will also feature everybody's favorite Muppets, including Kermit, Miss Piggy, Gonzo, Janice, Thog, and the Jason Segel Muppet. This special will also feature the long-awaited return of the cast of The Jim Henson Hour, including Digit, Leon, Ubu, and Flash.

APRIL FOOLS!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Your first line gave it away. "after the success of last Thanksgiving's Lady Gaga special..."

Well, it could have been Disney thinking the "success" was successful enough. Or it could have been a game of "telephone", me reading an article first, writing what I remember from the article (without actually looking at it while I type) and mistakenly thinking I saw it mention the "success".

Then again, if I really did read such an article and saw (or thought I saw) it mention that special being a success, I think I might have made a big deal out of that line in my initial post.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I will admit it was fun to read though. I need something like this with the way my life has been going lately.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that April Fools is over, we're moving this thread to the Games section.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
After some of the mention of this being "because of the success of the Lady Gaga special", I now remember that I got the idea for this April Fools joke while reading forum posts about the Lady Gaga special, particularly when somebody said we should have been thankful the Muppets were appearing with an A-list star as opposed to D-list celebrities, getting me thinking that it would be great if the Muppets used their popularity to bring back stars who were primarily popular in the '80s (and hadn't exactly become legends like some '80s stars).

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
This was funny! Good April Fools prank! I wish the Muppets would do TV specials all the time.