April Fools: I'm working on Sesame Street DVDs now!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Ever since I joined the forum in 2005, fans have been looking at my Sesame Street DVD wish lists and, especially in recent years, have been saying that I should be in charge of Sesame Street DVDs. Well a couple of months ago, Sesame Workshop contacted me and told me they thought the same thing. And now I'm allowed to share the news!

By the way, you may have noticed last week that I noticed there hadn't been any announcements for the next Sesame Street DVD, even though the last announced one had been released for weeks. And then the next one was announced.... I was worried about whether they decided to stop making DVDs because I was worried that would mean the deal would be canceled.

I'll tell you what I can tell you. I can tell you that I suggested a number of types of releases and a wishlist of segments. I am not "in charge", and there will still be releases I have no involvement in. For the most part, I am corresponding with Sesame Workshop online, but will be flown to their offices in New York once every few months, and I'll even be allowed to look in their vaults/archives, view existing episodes, and even keep a few copies. I'm told that the video distributor does not have as much control over the releases as we think.

They also told me not to "go crazy" on classic clips. They say their policy on "collectors releases" is one per year (though they asked me for ideas on a number of collectors releases, one was a series of character spotlight releases focusing exclusively on classic clips with the characters, and they liked that idea so much that they are "considering" changing their policy slightly). They also say that it's okay to do one or two "family market" releases that are heavy with classic clips, but in general they want most of the releases to have three or less classic clips. They also told me that there will be a "collectors release" this year, though I'm currently not allowed to confirm whether it'll be a fourth old school, 45th anniversary release, or something entirely different (I can, however, confirm that it's not any of the collectors releases I suggested to them).

Interestingly, they told me that, when the Old School series had started, their plan was, if the releases were successful enough, to release the season premieres up to season 20, and after they got there, further Old School releases would go back to the past, but now if they release more, they plan to go up to the first 25 season premiers before going back to earlier seasons.

The first Sesame Street DVD I suggested will come out in August. Even though I won't be involved with every release, Sesame Workshop will send me info on upcoming releases I did not suggest, and I will be allowed to suggest clips to include. They even want me to write a script for an entirely clip-free video. However, I am no longer allowed to post my own wishlists for future Sesame Street videos on the forums, because they think it will confuse fans as to whether it's actual upcoming release info. While it's okay for me to read other people's wish lists, I am not allowed to read private messages requesting clips or ideas for releases.

APRIL FOOLS!!!

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Aw, did you just give me a shout-out in the first paragraph? You shouldn't have! :wink:

Either way, you outdid yourself with this one!

Slackbot

Reaction score
*laughs* Well played, sir. Well played.