Another Jurrassic Park 2014

jvcarroll

Reaction score
JURASSIC PARK 4 to Open in 3D on June 13, 2014
Steven Spielberg Will Produce
Universal Pictures just announced that Jurassic Park IV will open in 3D on June 13, 2014. While many are quick to speculate that Steven Spielberg will direct, having just shelved the sci-fi adaptation Robopocalypse for an indefinite period of time, no director is attached as of yet. Spielberg will return as a producer, however. Screenwriters Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver, both of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, just turned in a fresh draft of the film earlier this week. For those of you keeping score at home, that gives Universal less than 18 months to do all the pre-production, shooting and post-production visual effects (these are dinosaurs in 3D after all). You can get a glimpse at what the original Jurassic Park looks like in 3D when it opens on April 5th, including a one-week IMAX run. Hit the jump for more on Jurassic Park IV.​
Deadline broke the news that Jurassic Park IV will roar into theaters in the summer of 2014. Here’s what we know so far. Producer Kathleen Kennedy previously spoke about the project in an interview with Steve at the end of 2011. Back then she said that Jurassic Park IV would take a “great script” to get off the ground, since the property was not originally intended to be a franchise. It seems like the execs are happy with Jaffa and Silver’s latest draft since a release date announcement is a strong showing of support. As recently as last summer, producer Frank Marshall also commented on Jurassic Park IV, saying: “I would say that it will be on the screen within two years.” Spot on, Mr. Marshall. The producer also commented on his anticipation for the what they’re going to be able to do with visual effects on this picture: “That’s what’s gonna be great about it, technology’s taken a leap now that we can really do some great things.” Although Jurassic Park IV is definitely going to be released in 3D, Marshall had previously commented that practical effects still resonate better with audiences and helps the actors perform, so there is hope that the entire thing won’t be green-screened. That same year, Spielberg declined taking the director’s chair for the sequel, but we’ll see where he stands this year.​

Teheheman

Reaction score
Just let it die already. I mean, really, it's almost like those movies where the house is haunted and they make 8 movies on the same house. Wouldn't you think by now that they would've heard about it by the 3rd movie that people would've went "I don't think I'll go there".

Daniel

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Just let it die already. I mean, really, it's almost like those movies where the house is haunted and they make 8 movies on the same house. Wouldn't you think by now that they would've heard about it by the 3rd movie that people would've went "I don't think I'll go there".

Daniel
I'd agree, but the initial Jurassic Park film was a legitimate piece of cinematic history. The sequels, well they had their moments. The concept, like many other Spielberg films, lends itself to serials.

The article makes the case for more films by citing the great strides in technology over the 12 years since the last movie hit theaters. The idea that there are too many Jurassic Park films being made is a completely false premise and comparing them to the cheaply made Paranormal Activity franchise doesn't really make any sense.

A lot of films have been made that use the techniques pioneered by the 1993 masterpiece and it would be great to see the ones responsible for that to come back and do it right. So, I support the idea if they have a good script and Spielberg is back at the helm. I just thought it was interesting to note that they're finally going forward after years of talk.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The article makes the case for more films by citing the great strides in technology over the 12 years since the last movie hit theaters. The idea that there are too many Jurassic Park films being made is a completely false premise and comparing them to the cheaply made Paranormal Activity franchise doesn't really make any sense.
I really like that bit about Paranormal Activity. That's right. There's a difference between what Jurassic Park was and horror film franchises. For some reason, horror franchises keep getting sequels well after they've started becoming annoying, and only die hard fans bother. And it's not even a fun campy way like the last Nightmare on Elm Streets and Friday the 13ths. But then again, if they don't make sequels, they make knockoff films with the same plot that might as well be sequels. Horror franchises are completely different from any movie out there, especially do to the audience it attracts.

The only problem I see with a Jurassic Park 4 is the whole stalled franchise sequel decades later bit. The one where we want the movie until we see it, like the last Indiana Jones film. I really liked the first one (though I fell asleep initially during the Triceratops being sick sequence and MISSED the guy getting eaten off the toilet and I'm STILL angry about that), but really didn't see the other two. Just parts of them on television.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I really like that bit about Paranormal Activity. That's right. There's a difference between what Jurassic Park was and horror film franchises. For some reason, horror franchises keep getting sequels well after they've started becoming annoying, and only die hard fans bother. And it's not even a fun campy way like the last Nightmare on Elm Streets and Friday the 13ths. But then again, if they don't make sequels, they make knockoff films with the same plot that might as well be sequels. Horror franchises are completely different from any movie out there, especially do to the audience it attracts.

The only problem I see with a Jurassic Park 4 is the whole stalled franchise sequel decades later bit. The one where we want the movie until we see it, like the last Indiana Jones film. I really liked the first one (though I fell asleep initially during the Triceratops being sick sequence and MISSED the guy getting eaten off the toilet and I'm STILL angry about that), but really didn't see the other two. Just parts of them on television.
You have another chance! The original Jurassic Park will be reissued in 3D later this year. I know your passion for 3D! Ha! :stick_out_tongue:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Jurassic Park 2 and 3 were both horrible and bland. 3 was a step closer to the first movie, but nowhere near as enjoyable. What would 4 even be about? They pretty much exhausted "people stranded on a deserted island being hunted by dinosaurs"

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Jurassic Park 2 and 3 were both horrible and bland. 3 was a step closer to the first movie, but nowhere near as enjoyable. What would 4 even be about? They pretty much exhausted "people stranded on a deserted island being hunted by dinosaurs"
2 & 3 didn't do much for me either. 2 was rushed into production because Spielberg didn't want the sequel taken away from him and 3 was an attempt to fix what went wrong with 2. Neither did much to advance the storytelling or the technology.

But, I object to the notion that they've exhausted the story ideas. One could say the same thing about alien invasion films, superhero films, Muppet films or any number of things. The theater would be rather bare and boring if directors and studios used that as a litmus test. There really aren't that many new ideas to be made into movies. It's the exploration of the material that can be unique. Unfortunately, it seldom is.

And that really is the question. What would 4 be about? How would it explore the world of dinosaurs differently than before? Would it still seem as spectacular now that every movie seems to be able to replicate such grand special effects? I think it definitely could under the right direction.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You have another chance! The original Jurassic Park will be reissued in 3D later this year. I know your passion for 3D! Ha! :stick_out_tongue:
I've seen it multiple times since... just very very angry it happened when I saw it in theaters. I mean, that was the best scene!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
As a diehard Jurassic Park fan, I soooooo want but am afraid of a JP 4. I am the kinda person with the T-shirt, the hat, the pin, the raptor claw, and the heartfelt desire that if I can never visit the Muppet Theater, the second place where I could die and go to heaven is Jurassic Park. Any of you who ever saw me in Hensonville knows I have a ... thing ... for dinosaurs, LOL. :wink:

The third movie was better than the second (though watching the Rex go through a neighborhood was amusing), and I get the impression that the implied issues with InGen would be the plot of 4 (namely, that InGen was less than open about not only the dinosaurian population but the whole purpose of the project to begin with).

Or you could just offer some huge fangirl like me a chance to get to the island. I could see a movie about a fangirl who is desperate to live with the true masterpieces of creation. :big_grin: