Animaniacs reboot in the works

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Apparently, after a recent upswing in popularity after being added to Netflix last year, it was just announced that Stephen Spielberg, Amblin Television, and Warner Bros are working on a reboot/revival of the classic show:
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/animaniacs/265291/animaniacs-reboot-in-the-works

I'm extremely excited about this! Animaniacs, along with Pinky and the Brain and other Warner cartoons were cancelled before their time, so I always thought that there were a lot of stories that still could've been told. And with such a huge cast of characters, the story possibilities are endless :smile:

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
Apparently, after a recent upswing in popularity after being added to Netflix last year, it was just announced that Stephen Spielberg, Amblin Television, and Warner Bros are working on a reboot/revival of the classic show:
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/animaniacs/265291/animaniacs-reboot-in-the-works

I'm extremely excited about this! Animaniacs, along with Pinky and the Brain and other Warner cartoons were cancelled before their time, so I always thought that there were a lot of stories that still could've been told. And with such a huge cast of characters, the story possibilities are endless :smile:

Wow, that's awesome! I love Animaniacs! :big_grin:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Honestly, I feel like the show ran its course with 99 episodes and a TV movie in the bag, hardly something "cancelled before its time". Though it would be neat seeing the original cast and writers return, if they will be involved.

And I have a strong feeling this will be put on Netflix or something. No doubt the writers and producers would prefer something where S&P won't be breathing down their necks every minute.

Last edited:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Honestly, I feel like the show ran its course with 99 episodes and a TV movie in the bag, hardly something "cancelled before its time".
Well, I say it was cancelled a little too early because the whole reason WB cancelled it was because their were too many adults watching and not enough kids (similar to Young Justice dying because too many girls like super heroes) and they wanted to replace it with cheaper to produce shows like Pokemon. So it died after the network gradually started ordering less and less episodes every season. I guess they had no idea how to market a cartoon to an older audience so this show along with it's spin off aired their last episodes on the exact same day.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If it's as clever, sharp, and unique as the original was, I might actually be willing to give this a shot, but I know how hard it is to try to recapture lightning in the same bottle.

If anything, I wouldn't mind a Freakazoid reboot - that one really got the short end of the stick, and honestly, of the three Spielberg-produced cartoons, that one was my favorite (Animaniacs did come in a close second though).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Hopefully, it won't end up like Wabbit - try as they might, that show is dull. Literally, the somehow managed to make the idea of Bugs Bunny vs. DEATH HIMSELF totally lame.

If does actually get made, I hope the animation is also top-tier. None of this crappy Flash like The Tom & Jerry Show has. There's plenty of good hand-drawn stuff still being made (Steven Universe for example). I'm not gonna expect anything like the TMS studios did, which was like 95% flawless, but it still needs to look good.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have the sickening feeling it's either going to be Flash or CGI.

But, considering even the original went through multiple different animation studios and often times had an inconsistent look to it, I think I can be a little more forgiving if the animation isn't exactly top-notch . . . unless it's just so bad it's hard to get into like the 2012 TMNT series on Nick.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I have the sickening feeling it's either going to be Flash or CGI.

But, considering even the original went through multiple different animation studios and often times had an inconsistent look to it, I think I can be a little more forgiving if the animation isn't exactly top-notch . . . unless it's just so bad it's hard to get into like the 2012 TMNT series on Nick.
Spielberg will still be bankrolling this revival, so maybe he'll have the good sense to go with full hand-drawn animation or, worst-case scenario, a Flash studio that can allow for very fluid and expressive animation, like Bardel or Mercury Filmworks. TV-quality CGI can't really allow you to be super loose and expressive unless you spend a fortune on it, which is why squash and stretch is shown more frequently in film.

And as for the Nick TMNT series, you must have only watched the 1st season where the visuals admittedly felt a tad off. Since then, I've seen subtle improvements in textures in lighting with each subsequent season. The detail on the Triceratons is especially impressive.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And as for the Nick TMNT series, you must have only watched the 1st season where the visuals admittedly felt a tad off. Since then, I've seen subtle improvements in textures in lighting with each subsequent season. The detail on the Triceratons is especially impressive.
Same with ALVINNN - obviously TV CGI series do improve over time. But really, for me, it's more the overall look and design of the Nick TMNT that just doesn't appeal to me; Splinter in particular isn't easy to look at.