Amanda Bynes is "retired" from acting at 24.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
The young former Nick star is seemly done with acting.

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/b186747_amanda_bynes_done_with_whole_acting.html

I don't know I just found it odd that she would really quit. I think she could of made better choices as far as what movies she should of star in, but her career still shows a lot of promise and she seems to have a more "level head" than say Lindsay Lohan or the Olsen twins. So I don't totally buy it.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The young former Nick star is seemly done with acting.

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/b186747_amanda_bynes_done_with_whole_acting.html

I don't know I just found it odd that she would really quit. I think she could of made better choices as far as what movies she should of star in, but her career still shows a lot of promise and she seems to have a more "level head" than say Lindsay Lohan or the Olsen twins. So I don't totally buy it.
I find it odd too. Maybe she wasn't getting the roles that she wanted. She's not the greatest talent, but she does have a unique screen presence and a likability factor. I've always enjoyed her. This could be temporary or it could be a stunt to get somebody to create a project for her.

Her final movie will be this summer's "Easy A". She plays a mean girl this time out and the movie looks very funny. Check out the trailer on YouTube. I'd link to it, but it is a smidge racy and I don't want to have it removed by a moderator. :embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Never really cared all that much for her... I RULLY hated that WB sitcom of hers... but it seems to me she's upset she gets attatched to crappy projects that don't do well, and somehow quitting because she isn't as successful as she wants to be. Feh! That guy that plays Dwight in The Office hasn't had a meaningful role in his entire career until he hit it big with that show. He's either in his 40's or almost 40... I can't remember what he said in that interview... but he had the sense to keep trying until a huge opportunity comes up.

And here's another thing. A LOT of actors that actually get huge meaningful roles and they wind up destroying their careers or making them typecast. Bela Lugosi, as I've been saying... this highly talented Shakespearean actor had to make B horror films for the rest of his career. Adam West had trouble finding work after Batman. And a LOT of the Star Wars cast had such huge problems after those films too, except for Harrison Ford. It's a nasty business, and it tore down people a lot more than Amanda does here.

So, I don't really know if this is just the move of a sore loser, or she's on to something.

That said, Lindsay Lohan... glad that you brought that up. She threw her career away trying to be a party girl. And I'm sure her screwed up upbringing is a reason for it... but all it takes is a couple bad moves to destroy a career.

dwmckim

Reaction score
she seems to have a more "level head" than say Lindsay Lohan or the Olsen twins. So I don't totally buy it.
...But perhaps having the more level head may actually explain why she's better able to make such a decision.

Being a professional actor is not as easy or glamourous as it may strike the general public (especially in the current celebrity-crazed atmosphere) for those of ANY age, but certainly takes a huge toll on those that started and became successful when they were younger. There's enough "True Hollywood Stories" about child stars out there to attest for that. When one's in their early 20's, there's a tendancy to wonder if what you've trained and studied for is really what you want to do the rest of your life (and even more so if you've actually been a working professional rather than just going to school for your interest) Anyone that has the maturity at that age to say "you know, this isn't really working for me as it once did and I'm looking towards other interests" should be applauded. They've got a good head on their shoulders and are making a tough decision made harder by being in the public eye.

Any younger professional (and this includes all fields, not just performing arts) that is able to make the transition to adulthood with a level head and relative lack of ego has my full respect...especially where it concerns "what do I do with the rest of my life/where do I go from here?" If they're able to successfully continue to manage their finances too really deserves applause!

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Amanda has this quirkiness about her I like, not to mention she's really cute. Seen snippets from her now defunct WB sitcom here and there.

I also agree she is more level headed than people like Lohan, who I thought was great in Freaky Friday and Mean Girls, but messed up big time. Bynes seems like she never got into any trouble or had any off screen problems like some other young actresses. In fact, I read she credits her good upbringing from her parents.

I'd date her......Meow!:flirt:

Libba Yuki

Reaction score
I've always liked Amanda Bynes, she's got such a nice and quirky personality both on and off the screen. While I've only seen a couple of her movies, and minor bits of her tv show, I've always enjoyed her performances.

I think it's very smart of her to retire now at this age, to try and sort out what she wants to do with her life. Maybe down the road she'll take up acting again, but even if she doesn't she seems to have a good head on her shoulders and I'm sure she'll have a long and happy life regardless of what she ends up doing.

It's nice to see a hollywood girl the same age as me who ISN'T a train wreck, and I hope Amanda continues doing what she's doing and never ends up like Lindsay Lohan and others like her.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
It's nice to see a hollywood girl the same age as me who ISN'T a train wreck, and I hope Amanda continues doing what she's doing and never ends up like Lindsay Lohan and others like her.
If she hasn't messed up her life yeat at 24, then she probably won't.:wisdom:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Being a professional actor is not as easy or glamourous as it may strike the general public (especially in the current celebrity-crazed atmosphere) for those of ANY age, but certainly takes a huge toll on those that started and became successful when they were younger. There's enough "True Hollywood Stories" about child stars out there to attest for that.
There's such a huge stigmata to being a child star. There are those who are very lucky, and continue to find work like Shea LeBeouf (sp?) and Ron Howard (look at how big his career became), some that are pretty lucky, and after years of nothing find a role that makes their popularity explode... Neil Patrick Harris, of course. After Doogie Howzer, there wasn't really anything... and all of the sudden he's on How I Met Your mother, and he's all over the place. Then the ones that can't find work after their shows end (Anyone from Small Wonder, I guess) and then the horror stories like Gary Coleman and frankly the entire rest of the cast of Diff'rent Strokes.

Again, we must ask herself, is she giving up because she's not getting the exact work she wants, or is she just giving up because she wants to move onto something less potentially scarring.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Never really cared all that much for her... I RULLY hated that WB sitcom of hers... but it seems to me she's upset she gets attatched to crappy projects that don't do well, and somehow quitting because she isn't as successful as she wants to be. Feh! That guy that plays Dwight in The Office hasn't had a meaningful role in his entire career until he hit it big with that show. He's either in his 40's or almost 40... I can't remember what he said in that interview... but he had the sense to keep trying until a huge opportunity comes up.

And here's another thing. A LOT of actors that actually get huge meaningful roles and they wind up destroying their careers or making them typecast. Bela Lugosi, as I've been saying... this highly talented Shakespearean actor had to make B horror films for the rest of his career. Adam West had trouble finding work after Batman. And a LOT of the Star Wars cast had such huge problems after those films too, except for Harrison Ford. It's a nasty business, and it tore down people a lot more than Amanda does here.

So, I don't really know if this is just the move of a sore loser, or she's on to something.

That said, Lindsay Lohan... glad that you brought that up. She threw her career away trying to be a party girl. And I'm sure her screwed up upbringing is a reason for it... but all it takes is a couple bad moves to destroy a career.
Excatly I should of mention some of this in my first post, :smile:.

Maybe she feels since she's not a young girl on Nick anymore, no one wants to see her and her carrer is getting stale. However...

Look at how hot Betty's White carrer is right now and we're talking a woman at the ripe young age of 88, :crazy:, that really (as far as I knew) not too many people were thinking of since the Golden Girls got cancelled. If Amanda does indeed "retire" well...I guess she and all her fans never really will know what could of been.

On the other hand, maybe she truly isn't happy, in which case I wouldn't blame her for leaving.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
There's also maintaining the quality of her brand. At one time her name was popular to young people and it might be best to just retaire and let residuals of earlier, more successful projects roll in rather than watering down her image with sub-standard new productions. I'm sure if something good came along she'd do it. "Retiring" is a way of actors saying they're not trolling for just any and every job out there, but will come back for something special. I doubt we've heard the last of Bynes. I think she's been a refreshing change from the moody-broody-bratty stars we mostly see out there.