Academy Awards

Jaga828

Reaction score
DID ANYONE SEE THIS?!
I didn't plan on watching the Oscars tonight, but I am so glad I did! At about an hour and 15 minutes into it, they ran a montage of Oscars past, and among the shots was a brief segment of Kermit and Miss Piggy singing The First Time. It was such a pleasant surprise. It's was ironic also to see Mickey Mouse present an award in the animation category. Hmmmmmmmm, Mickey and Kermit and Piggy on the same show. A sign?

Be Well,

Chris

P.S. Sorry!! I was in such a hurry to post, that I didn't realize I posted in the wrong category. This should probably be in General Discussion. I hope I didn't mislead anyone into thinking that this was a new muppet appearance. I feel horrible. I'm not too much of a regular poster, and wouldn't want to upset any of you. Sorry for the mix up!

MrsKalabash

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jaga828
DID ANYONE SEE THIS?!
I didn't plan on watching the Oscars tonight, but I am so glad I did! At about an hour and 15 minutes into it, they ran a montage of Oscars past, and among the shots was a brief segment of Kermit and Miss Piggy singing The First Time. It was such a pleasant surprise. It's was ironic also to see Mickey Mouse present an award in the animation category. Hmmmmmmmm, Mickey and Kermit and Piggy on the same show. A sign?

Be Well,

Chris
Yeah, I saw it too. It was brief but cute. And Piggy looked terrific - it's a shame she's not looked that good since. Hey you guys at Henson - dump the short hair cuts, the frizzy perms, give her her big BIG blue eyes back and especially the long sexy blonde hair!!!

It was also nice to hear Jim doing Kermit's voice....sigh...

BTW - that CGI Mickey Mouse - ECCHH!!!! It's nice Disney is experimenting, but that particular experiment didn't work. The Mouse looked awful IMO. He's much more appealing in 2-D animation IMO.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chris, moved it to general discussion for you...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think they did a nice job with the Mickey experiment. Too bad they didn't improve the material. Hmmm. Disney performers can't adlib quite like the Muppet gang. :wink:

Wow. I'd forgotten about The First Time it Happens! I was about to go get some water from the fridge right before it came on. Glad I didn't.

Some of the montages were long, but it was a fairly enjoyable Oscars. Maybe they should try cutting some of the glitz every year.

I was pretty pleased with all the winners. I don't think Chicago was worthy of Best Picture (I did enjoy it very much) but it's nice to see musicals recognized again. :sing:

radionate

Reaction score
Jamie! How dare you speak such words! Chicago was wonderful and deserved more awards then it took in.

Piggy was actually shown twice last night. She and host Johnny Carson were shown in a montage of scenes featuring past hosts.

I really thought Mickey looked cruddy, and all in all I was really let down by this years ceramony. I felt it was one of the worst in many years.

Michael Moore sure did take away my breath though. I still can't believe his acceptance speech. I feel he went over the line. Big Time.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
So did everybody else. He receieved more boos than anything. From Hollywood, that's a big deal.

radionate

Reaction score
I believe the only other major boos I can remember came from audience members when Brando and Scott declined their Oscars.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What won for best song? I fell asleep.

I am sooooo glad the Animation award went to Spirited Away, and not to Treasure Planet or Spirit the horse.

I was rooting for Mike's New car to win for a short, though...

As for CGI Mickey... I didn't like that idea (BTW, did Steve Martain get any backlash from calling him the world's most famous black actor?) I mean, Micky works in 2d because, well, he's an absrtact creature. no matter which way he faces, hi ears are usually in a formula shape (a geometrically absract cartoon character.. how 'bout that?)

radionate

Reaction score
Mike's New Car really shouldn't have been considered a front runner to me, as there wasn't much to it. It just felt like a deleated scene from the movie.

I was glad to see The Chubb Chubbs get it. Such a great little short.

Eminem won Best Song for 8 Mile. I know I was speechless to see that happen. :grouchy:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Eminem's Lose Yourself won best song, but I don't remember anyone performing it. I guess they skipped it.