A New Muppet Show Album

scarecroe

Reaction score
I've decided that there needs to be a new Muppet Show album. It's shocking to me that there were only 2 LPs released of music, the last of which was in 1978 when the show still had three more years to go. With as much musical content as was featured on this show, it's appauling that such very little of it was released commercially. I mean, if you figure that there are at least an average of 6 songs per episodes at 120 episodes, that's approximatley 720 songs over the course of the show; give or take.

The Muppet Hits CD and it's follow-up were dissapointing releases omitting material from the original LPs. I think that especially now with the 25th Anniversary being celebrated (what better time to do it?), that the music of this show deserves more attention. I mean, sure we can bootleg the songs we really like from our taped-from-Odyssey episodes (for those of us who have them, I only have the Time-Life releases), but how swell is it to go back to The Muppet Show 2 LP and listen to "Time In A Bottle," "Just One Person" with Bernadette Peters or "A Gypsy's Violin" by Peter Sellers without any audience laughter or applause?

The thing that irks me in the back of my mind is that I know there are session masters of other material like this sitting in a vault at the Henson Archives out there somewhere (like the Ark of the Covenant, but more valuable). You know, the versions recorded of the song before the audience track (laughter, applause) was laid in.

The way I figure it, is that Henson could make some really cool deal with someone like Rhino Records or Varèse Sarabande and make a "The Muppet Show: 25th Anniversary Special Edition" 2-disc set containing all material never before released (okay, I'll give in somewhat... 90% unreleased material), all digitally restored and remastered from the original masters!

Disc One would be all Muppet only stuff. No guest stars. Stuff like the Smile Medley from the Brooke Shields episode (and dozens others that I just can't think of right now).

Disc Two would be all stuff done by guest stars and The Muppets. Having an entire disc devoted to big names would also be a shoe-in for a sales angle; I mean, I'm sure every Diana Ross fan out there would love to get their hands on a CD that contained her unreleased performance of "Reach Out and Touch Somebody's Hand" on The Muppet Show. Same goes for so many other stars (you can see it now, the CD would be packaged with a sticker on the wrapper stating that this disc contains previously unreleased material by "such and such, etc").

I know I'd love to have remastered, sans-audience versions of Linda Ronstadt's "When I Grow Too Old to Dream," Julie Andrews' "When You Were A Tadpole and I Was a Fish," Danny Kaye's "Inchworm" or Ben Vereen's "Imagination."

[sigh], I get all dreamy just thinking about it. Can I co-produce the album?

Are there still Henson spies here?

Hello? [echoes.......]

My plea has been made. That's my one of many dreams. I see it happening with old film scores all the time and it just makes so much sense to do it for The Muppet Show. It just needs the attention fo somebody willing to devote the time and effort to it, which sadly seems to be lacking in quality media releases for Muppet content lately.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
ScareCroe

Hey,
In the UK we got the Muppet Music Album, It had -

Side 1

- Muppet Show Theme
- Hawaiian War Chant
- The Rhyming Song
- Blue Skies
- Eight Little Notes
- DoWah Diddy Diddy
- Jamboree
- Henrietta's Wedding
- Sweet Tooth Jam
- Magic Garden

Side 2

- Macho Man
- Mad About The Frog
- Pennsylvannia 6-5000
- Coconut
- Frog Kissing
- Dog Walk
- While My Guitar Weeps
- Sixty Seconds Got Together
- It Was A Very Good Year
- The Muppet Show Closing Theme

Its a great album !

See ya

scarecroe

Reaction score
Re: ScareCroe

Originally posted by *Warrick*
In the UK we got the Muppet Music Album, It had....
Hey, that's cool. It looks like it had some songs on it not released on the other albums.

So no one likes my idea of a digitally restored and remastered "The Muppet Show: 25th Anniversary Special Edition" 2-disc set containing all material never before released?!?!

I can only imagine that not enough people have seen this thread yet. I mean, c'mon! You people would jump on this release, you know it!

Iggy35

Reaction score
Ok, i'll go along with it!
Only if you promise no Dianna Ross! hehe
I love that Ronstad song tho.
Leo Sayer - When I Need You
Kenny Rogers - Love Lifted Me
Elton John - Crocodile Rock
Stars Of Star Wars - When You Wish Upon A Star

Theres a few more for ya.

Dont forget "I'm So Happy" by the two sad blokes on CD 1 tho.
HAHAHA HEHEHE OH DEAR!!
*sniff*
Either get me some help, or get me outta here.

IGGY35

Animal

Reaction score
Hey!

I´ll go along with it too!

But I don´t think a 2-disc set would be the best to do...of course, this would ONLY be a "best of the best", of the songs we still haven´t got on any record. I would LOVE to see a COMPLETE Muppet Show box-set with 6-8 CD´s (or more?)with all the songs released through the years, but also with never before released material, with a nice booklet with facts, recording sessions dates and such!!!

I remember a few years ago we could vote what songs we would see released on a Muppet Show box-set, here on Muppet Central! Whatever happened to that???

Anyone???

Hans "Animal" Jensen

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hans,

The results of our "Muppet Hits" survey from several thousand fans were sent to Henson in 1998 and they were receptive to the idea of a box set. The information on "fan favorites" was very helpful.

The issue with all of this isn't that Henson doesn't want to do such a project, but it's finding a record deal to get the job done. That's why it's been nine years since "The Muppet Movie" and any Muppet Show CD's have been released.

Animal

Reaction score
Phillip,

Thanks for the fast reply!

So, does this means that MAYBE some day we WILL see a box-set of Muppet songs???

Hans "Animal" Jensen

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by Phillip Chapman
...results of our "Muppet Hits" survey....were sent to Henson....receptive to the idea of a box set
Oh my GAWD!

Oh dear.

I'm becoming faint.

Okay, breathe.

Alright, I'm better now.

I don't have to tell you how amazing that would be. A box set of remastered, restored, sans-audience music from The Muppet Show.

I wonder if they've tried going with Rhino Records. Those guys have done HEAPS in soundtrack restoration over the years and produce top-quality results. Rykodisc and Varèse Sarabande are the others in the top three for mega soundtrack supporting titles.

Geeze, there are just SO many things that could be taken advantage of this year for the 25th Anniversary. Not that there isn't already. I mean, cripes, this is an awesome year to be a Muppet fan, but the full potential is breathtaking.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Scott,

I think it is a great idea !

i thought you just ment that there should have been another Muppet Show Album.

Maybe if Henson dont do it we should all contribute all the Muppet MP3's we have and put them on ONE website.

Then anyonbe could access it ?

See ya

Iggy35

Reaction score
Would they even still HAVE unedited muppet shows anymore???
I cant believe that somewhere there is one box full of muppet show episodes,...and another box with muppet show episodes without the laugh track.
if people did that for every show, the world would expand quicker than ophra winfreys waistband!!!

IGGY35