3D Printing Rubber Puppet Parts

monkeyjb1988

Reaction score
Hello everyone. A long while ago, I stumbled upon using 3D printing for puppets and thought it was cool. Just a few days ago, I was messing around and saw that you could print a material that was like latex. I immediately thought "Why not a puppet head?"

Then I remembered that most oddly shaped 3D models need support material and why that would make things more difficult for a hollow puppet head. That said, I've seen examples of a 3D printed rubber glove, like on this site
http://www.javelin-tech.com/3d-printer/javelin-3d-printing-services/

My question to everyone (especially Tioh if he/she sees it; sorry I don't know your gender) is whether I should I go ahead and try to print a 3D puppet head out of rubber or just do what Adam did on the Mythbusters Simpsons episode?

(Er... 3D print a mold and cast the head like that, not use a wrecking ball on a house or drop cherry bombs down a toilet. Sorry, should've been more specific).

Tioh

Reaction score
You can print a mold or directly print flexible material (that is very difficult for large objects - most flexible materials are prone to warping). Also, you can print a positive, sand it down (to make it smooth) and make a silicone mold from it.

A friend of mine tried casting several expanding foam types and also latex and silicone - it works, but you need a well-ventilated work area and protective gear (the foam chemicals are very toxic till they have expanded - gloves are NOT enough).

monkeyjb1988

Reaction score
You can print a mold or directly print flexible material (that is very difficult for large objects - most flexible materials are prone to warping). Also, you can print a positive, sand it down (to make it smooth) and make a silicone mold from it.

A friend of mine tried casting several expanding foam types and also latex and silicone - it works, but you need a well-ventilated work area and protective gear (the foam chemicals are very toxic till they have expanded - gloves are NOT enough).
Thank you Tioh. I had a feeling printing the mold or cast the 3D printed positive would work best. You warning about warping helped.

Also, thanks for the warning about expanding foam.

monkeyjb1988

Reaction score
If anyone happens upon this thread, I found two videos regarding 3D molds and casting from Tested:

It's about masks, but aren't cast rubber puppets just masks that fit your hand? (That was rhetorical: I think yes, but you can disagree :smile:)

Last edited: