Getting the Jokes (Ten years later)

terrimonster

Reaction score
I think there are a lot of things that really weren't meant to be dirty, but look that way from the perspective of someone who's grown accustomed to such things in modern entertainment. But then there's stuff I see when I watch my TMS DVDs that I can't believe they put in.

Not particularly dirty, but the first one I noticed that was definitely aimed at adults (and that I didn't get ~30 years ago):

(from "At the Dance")
Do you believe in the hereafter?
Yes.
Good. Then you know what I'm here after!

JanicePepper

Reaction score
Hot Cross Bunny! I just got that! (LOL!)

Now that I'm older, I get a lot of the jokes from Monsterpiece Theatre better. I've been watching them on YouTube.

I like TV Tropes too. :smile:

Katzi428

Reaction score
Fozzie's dressed as a telephone. He claims his name is "Mike Oznowitzki," a Polish name. Therefore, he is the telephone Pole.

Beauregard, I didn't get the popcorn chicken thing until about a month ago. Life-changing for me too, man!
OH!slapping hand against forehead That's baaaddddd!(the telephone Pole) I didn't get it until now either!:rolleyes:

MeepMeepBork

Reaction score
The Great Muppet Caper just sort of flew over my five-year-old head. I did not get the whole "breaking the fourth wall" thing at all. I remember whenever Kermit said to Piggy, "We have to get back to the movie, though..." after their on-screen quarrel, I thought, what's going on? Are they going to see a movie or something?

Also, I didn't realize that Miss Piggy was posing as Lady Holiday until about 10 years later when I blew the dust off the tape and popped it in. Life-changing experience, I tell ya. I'm glad we held onto the tape, because I did not understand the story line at all as a kid. I guess I loved the movie so much simply because it was the Muppets up to their Muppety antics. :smile:

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
This one is much more recent, and not so much childhood innocence or anything like that as not being "in the know" with all these website thingies like Twitter and stuff.

Statler and Waldorf's comments at the end of Beaker's "Dust in the Wind" video. When I first heard it, I thought they were saying "dig" as in "like." Then a few weeks later I'm stuck in my mom's classroom while she's at an hour long meeting with some other teachers, and I decide to look up poetry online. Then I discover a link to post this poem/a quote from it on "Digg."

Mary Louise

Reaction score
When I was a kid, I had a copy of The Muppet Show Book. One of the stories (from the Dom DeLuise episode) was called "Miss Piggy 'Buys the House.'" I remember reading that one again and again and getting confused and frustrated because I saw nothing about Miss Piggy buying a cottage or shack or bungalow of any kind. It wasn't until years later that I learned that "the house" can also mean "the audience"—and that buying someone can mean paying him off!

Whatnot1988

Reaction score
I am not sure if this counts but here goes...

For a while, the "Pigs in Space" sketch from the Harry Belafonte episode, the one with the "Dissolveatron" had puzzled me. It was not so much the sketch itself that puzzled me as much as it was the behind-the-scenes technicalities.

Normally, Link is performed by Jim, and Piggy is performed by Frank. But when the characters swapped bodies following their reappeance after Strangepork makes them dissapear with the Dissolveatron, I had always questioned this--at the moment that it is revealed that Link and Piggy swapped bodies, did Jim and Frank have to swap puppets? In other words, when Link is trapped in Piggy's body, did Jim have to operate the Piggy puppet with Link's voice and mannerisms? Did Frank have to operate the Link puppet?

On that same note, in regards to the Strangepork/Janice body swap, did Jerry and Richard have to swap puppets in a similar manner?

The only thing I understood was the Kermit/Swedish Chef body swap, and since both of those characters were Jim-performed, and Jim is already performing Link (still trapped inside Piggy's body), then that is self-explanatory, as I already know what had to be done if two or more characters voiced by the same performer had to speak in the same sketch.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Thank you, TV Tropes. I now know why the name Doc Crystal is so funny. :smirk::excited::coy:

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Ooh, thought of one! Maybe it's just my dirty, adult mind vs. my innocent child mind, but when I was little, I never really thought too much about the pirates who are running for all of the gold during "Love Led Us Here" in MTI. There's a part that two of the pirates run towards each other in slow motion, then I think they end up hugging and throwing gold around. It just seems a lot less innocent and a lot more deliberate now than it did then... Anyone else think it's slightly off-colour? >: )
There's nothing off-colour about it. They're pirates, they'd been after that treasure for who knows how long and they were overjoyed at finally finding it. Plain as that. :halo: