Getting the Jokes (Ten years later)

Beauregard

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me...but as I walk through this world of ours, just doing normal every day tasks, I am suddenly hit now and then by the true hilariousness of old Sesame or Muppet jokes which I have only...just...got.

For example, I was talking about cowboys the other day, and mentioned, "The Lone Rider." And suddenly I laughed outloud, at the old SS characters, "Readers of the Open Range" because it suddenly made a whole lot more sense to me...whereas when I was 5, it was just cowboys who like to read.

There have been many more moments like this, when I realised that Bob Hope's cameo in TMM was actually funny, or when I realise that someone Kermit said once was actually very Risqué, or when I got the joke about Grasshoppers.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else had these kinds of experiences with Sesame Street and the Muppets?

peyjenk

Reaction score
Like you, as a kid, I just accepted all the wackiness and zaniness and took it for granted. It's only been in recent years, when I rewatched some of the movies or old episodes, that I have realized that these things are supposed to be silly or absurd. :smile:

There are several such moments in GMC: the Baseball Diamond, the running gag of the Murphy Bed, the conversation between the old couple in the house Piggy steals, Highbrow Street, "It's plot exposition, it has to go somewhere", the payment methods at the Happiness Hotel, "places to park your carcases" ("what's wrong with bus terminals?"), Piggy's breakdown and Kermit's on-camera coaching...

Man, what DID I get out of this movie as a kid? :confused:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Oh definitely GMC had a ton of those moments, you are right Peyjenk! I watched that movie all the time when I was a kid and later on I'm like, ok, what did I actually enjoy here? Like when Gonzo is taking pictures at the supper club and the one guy is like "My wife IS at home" and Gonzo gets flustered and goes on to the next table. There really is alot that probably went over my five year old head.

There's alot of that kind of thing in TMM as well, though specifics escape me right now. The Hare Krishna thing comes to mind.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
yep- or how diry they can get

for example the rats in Muppet Treasure Island right before Jim and Long John have their conversation on the deck about stars and their fathers dying- those are naughty rats!

dwmckim

Reaction score
...of course it's just not the rats...

i'll never forget when i watched the Muppet Movie and it finally hit me what two of the scenes in Piggy's fanasies during Never Before were implying (ie the streetlamp and kissing out of sight below the grass)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
i'll never forget when i watched the Muppet Movie and it finally hit me what two of the scenes in Piggy's fanasies during Never Before were implying (ie the streetlamp and kissing out of sight below the grass)
You know, I never thought they were implying anything. I'll have to watch the movie again soon and see if my mind changes when I watch the scene.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
NO! I just rememberd the worst ever

A very Merry Muppet Christmas- the part where they are making fun of moulin rouge (that itself was pretty funy) at the end of Piggys number (Santa Baby) she says to Kermit

"Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir?"
Kermit: "SAY WHA?"

in french "Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir" means "will you sleep with me tonight?" as in the song Lady Marmalade in Moulin Rouge. Now I got this right off the bat, and laughed really hard at it, but did YOU get that? I cant find an english version of that clip, but this is the song Im talking about if you dont remember (it was played ALL OVER a few years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoVeAGaO27I

peyjenk

Reaction score
in french "Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir" means "will you sleep with me tonight?"
Forgive me for being an insufferable know-it-all, but I believe that a more accurate translation is "Do you want to go to bed with me tonight?" which, in effect, is the same thing. :smile:

Sorry... sometimes I can't help myself.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not quite the Muppet show... but I didn't get the Sesame Street character "I.M. Pig" for the longest time. And I'm sure kids who's parents aren't architect students wouldn't either.

Nekoshema

Reaction score
lol, yes. one that happened yesterday, when i was five i saw the muppet movie, and Fozzie [dressed as the bartender] said "drinks on the house" and everyone ran onto the roof. i found it funny as a kid, but watching it now that i'm 20, i understand what he ment and i just facepalmed, it was hilarious and painful all at once :wink: