Your Thoughts On "Muppets Tonight!"

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I liked Muppets Tonight very much. The only problem was, it was often hard to find, the network would shuffle it around so much. I think the last several episodes were eventually burned off on the Disney Channel.

But it was a fun show, and it was great to see contemporary stars like Michelle Pfeiffer and Sandra Bullock show up. I mean, when was the last time one could see Michelle Pfeiffer on a television program?

I liked many of the new Muppets, especially Dr. Phil Van Neuter, Pepe, Johnny, Sal and Johnny's mama. It was a creative and funny show, and probably my favorite post-Jim project.

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
I thought it was a great show. Like Winslow said, it was shuffled too much and it gave me quite a hard time to find it at times but it was very fun to watch. It kept me entertained for the longest time and it was just FUN to watch!

Eggnog...HAHAHA!

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Well I have the whole series on my Ipod, :wink: .

Overall I enjoyed it.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I liked it, my only complaint was the New Pigs in Space, it's just not the same without Link and Dr. Strangepork

Blind Peeeeew

Reaction score
I think everyone on the Muppet Central Forums will agree that we all have a very special place in our hearts for Jim Henson and the origional Muppet Show. It has emotional value, historical importance, and it was a testament to someone pursuing their dream.

However, looking at The Muppet Show and Muppets Tonight objectively, I truly believe that MT is the better of the two shows. It had better pacing. It had a wider variety of reoccurring sketches, such as Tales From The Vet, Elvises of History, Bad Polly and Clueless Morgan the bartenders. It had the best looking puppets I've ever seen! (even Andy and Randy Pig had moving eyelids, and they could have been just like any other Muppet pig)

But it had something else special to it as well. Each episode was so packed full of classic material. Memorable moments that were laugh out loud funny. It was witty, it was clever, it was hip (without trying to be, like the post Disney Muppet material). If everyone was fair, it should have given the old Muppet audience everything they wanted, while also bringing in a new Muppet audience.

Muppets Tonight offered most of what we loved about The Muppet Show, while not being a repeat. It had our favorite characters, with Clifford, Rizzo, Kermit, Gonzo, Bunsen Honeydew, Beaker, Statler and Waldorf in starring roles, and Fozzie Bear, Sam Eagle, Animal, Miss Piggy, Mulch, Clueless Morgan and Bad Polly all as reoccurring characters. But it also had the largest amount of new characters introduced since TMS (with possibly a higher amount of new Muppets) Classic characters like Bobo, Seymour, Pepe, Nigel, Phil Van Neuter, Johnny Fiama, Sal Manilla, Andy and Randy Pig, Spamela Hamderson, Bill The Bubble Guy, Mr. Poodlepants and many more.

I'm sorry if I've gone on too long, but I've always wanted to say all this. It was an amazing show that I can't watch without a smile on my face. It was definately one of the greatest live action shows of the mid nineties, and it should live on throughout history as the best example of what should be done to continue Jim Henson's work. The executives at Disney should be studying ever facet of this show. But I regress...

Eggie noggie, eggie noggie...

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Muppets Tonight is pretty good. The newer muppets, like Pepe, Johnny, Sal, etc. are all brightly colored, which I liked.

I think the biggest complaint I have on the show is the introdudction on too many new characters while the older characters get shafted.

Example, in the first episode, the very first scene had Kermit and a lot of the original muppets, like Janice and Lew Zealand, and then bam, they dissappear, even though Lew Zealand shows up in episode and speaks. From then on, it's new characters like Johnny, Sal, Zippity Zap, Bobo, etc.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I will say this once. There is no comparing MT to TMS, like you cannot compaire 1969-1989 Sesame Street to 2001-2007 Sesame. It's 2 completely different things, and you just can't get anything better than the original.

Jim and Richard weren't there, and Frank was absent most of the time, so those hands were gone.... so we have new people who are doing stuff that is completely different, as they are different people.

That said, i really loved MT, but no more than TMS. However, I think the muppet central segments of the Jim henson Hour are vastly underrated. Jim and co were trying to go in different directions, and I really enjoyed how they have all the TV in the universe on demand and can bring various feeds of bizzare shows. Now that was an amazing concept that i can't even say was ahead of its time, because no one but Jim could have thought of something so wacky and wild.

Back to MT... the only things I really didn't like were some of the weaker new characters. I love Pepe, Johnny, Sal, Bobo, and Van Neuter, but Andy and Randy pig just don't work. Plus the new Pigs in Space just wasn't that good. Actually, all the Pig segments were pretty much one note jokes. other segments worked well, but I think Spamala Hamderson wasn't too funny, dispite being a very apt parody of the real one.

Xerus

Reaction score
I kind of prefered The Jim Henson Hour's, Muppettelevision. I liked how Kermit went from the Muppet Show to organizing his own TV station and how he brought old characters like Link and Gonzo to help him out along with some new Muppets like the cool looking Digit and the cute Bean Bunny and the cool Clifford.

Muppet's Tonight was pretty okay.

Pork

Reaction score
I liked Muppets tonight. I don't remember alot because it wasn't on very much. But I enjoyed it.