Why is Mokey being forgotten?

Gobo_Tron2

Reaction score
Hrodulf said:
I genuinely believe this world would have to be a very different place for Mokey to be hugely popular. . . .
Isn't that the darn truth... :frown:

Hrodulf

Reaction score
Me too.

She's my favorite muppet, actually, but I have a hunch most people have different preferences in this area. Not that I mind, I've never really been concerned about whether my choices were popular or not. They work for me, and that's enough.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Hrodulf said:
I don't think there's a malicious conspiracy to ignore Mokey, it's probably just that other characters sell better because people relate to their personalities more, so there's involuntarily more of a focus on them. Gobo and Red are the agressive go-getters, Boober is sort of the emo "the world will end tomorrow" type, Wembley is confused all the time, and Mokey is the thoughtful, introspective type who thinks things out and cares about others.
I genuinely believe this world would have to be a very different place for Mokey to be hugely popular. . . .[/quote]

I disagree. I don't think other characters "sell better" because people relate to them more. Many adults have Mokey qualities and can appreciate her---that's why so many of us have come to love her more in adulthood than when we were kids. I think they sell better because---regardless of the fact you can't buy Mokey when she's not even offered---kids relate to the others more. They totally relate to Gobo's curiosity, Red's energy, Wembley's "kid brother"ishness, and find Boober's pessimism and paranoia delightfully funny. But look at how you described Mokey: "Mokey is the thoughtful, introspective type who thinks things out and cares about others"---that is wonderful, but there's nothing funny about those characteristics. Now yes, Mokey does have a sense of humor---and a fine one at that, and some hilarious moments---but that's not the type of character for energetic and laughter-loving kids to grab onto as much.

Hrodulf said:
Intellectual, spiritual characters have never been particularly popular, and Mokey's arguably the smartest, most spiritual of the Fraggle Five. I genuinely believe this world would have to be a very different place for Mokey to be hugely popular. . . .
I disagree again, at least in part. Mokey is definitely the most spirtual of the Fraggle Five, and arguably the smartest (I'd say Mokey and Gobo are pretty close in that dept.). But Phoebe Buffay was a spirtual character with great insight and caring feelings and some maternal instincts, and she was wildly popular---she shares traits with Mokey, and it's no surprise then that Phoebe is my favorite "Friend". But again, that's a show for adults.

Bottom line, I truly believe kids are too wrapped up in adventure and laughs and can't really understand or appreciate a spiritual, intuititive, artistic character like Mokey with a more subtle sense of humor until they are older.

Erine81981

Reaction score
*screaches to a halt* Ok everyone! I'm here to lead us to the JHC to find out what has happened to our beloved fraggle Mokey. Is everyone ready?! THEN LET'S GET GOING! *revs up the van* Everyone! SING!

lowercasegods

Reaction score
In this modern age of conformity and conservative values, is it any surprise that a sweet, laid back and artistic character like Mokey would be kicked under the couch and hidden from the public eye? Maybe if they made her a money-hungry politician who puts Fraggle Rock into a civil war in order to fill her cave with a wealth of radishes and Doozer sticks then she'd be getting better press.

God, I miss you, Jim Henson.

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
*screaches to a halt* Ok everyone! I'm here to lead us to the JHC to find out what has happened to our beloved fraggle Mokey. Is everyone ready?! THEN LET'S GET GOING! *revs up the van* Everyone! SING!
S'okay if I come along? TAXIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!

Animal

Reaction score
I hope she "at least" will be on the back cover, now when she´s not on the front cover....:cry:

Hrodulf

Reaction score
Well, I was hoping not to get political on this, but . . .

. . . I kind of was thinking that, yeah, in our current society that's taken a "jump to the right" thanks to 9-11, war, etc, Mokey's approach to life, and personality, may be seen as "quaint" or "hokey." Of course, I disagree with that attitude, but then again, I'm usually in the minority on these points.

I deliberately held those comments back before because I didn't want this to become some sort of weird political debate, but since it came up anyway, I thought it would be better to explain my initial comments in the context I was making them.

As for the point that Mokey's personality is more popular among adults than children; I consider children to still be the main audience for the show. The population of adults (namely, us, I suppose) who are into FR in a strong way probably isn't large enough to justify widespread release on DVD; for this to work, they have to get the kids into it, or else they're going to have a problem selling the units. Of course, I could be wrong, but hey, I'm wrong all the time.

lowercasegods said:
In this modern age of conformity and conservative values, is it any surprise that a sweet, laid back and artistic character like Mokey would be kicked under the couch and hidden from the public eye? Maybe if they made her a money-hungry politician who puts Fraggle Rock into a civil war in order to fill her cave with a wealth of radishes and Doozer sticks then she'd be getting better press.

God, I miss you, Jim Henson.
Jim Henson is one of those rare people who makes me wish that death was reversible.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Hrodulf said:
As for the point that Mokey's personality is more popular among adults than children; I consider children to still be the main audience for the show. The population of adults (namely, us, I suppose) who are into FR in a strong way probably isn't large enough to justify widespread release on DVD; for this to work, they have to get the kids into it, or else they're going to have a problem selling the units. Of course, I could be wrong, but hey, I'm wrong all the time.
Oh of course children are the main audience for the show...at least, they were. I wonder though how many kids actually watch FR today in ratio as to how many of us adults watch it for nostalgia? Muppets aren't even close to popularity now as they were in the '80s (sadly)---imo I think it's nostalgia that drives sales more than anything else (of course I'm biased though because I don't have kids and I love the nostalgia of the Muppets)---though I'm sure many parents buy FR for their kids either because they grew up with it and will enjoy it again too, or they just trust the Muppety goodness of Henson products.

Ah well...at least they are seeing the light of day on DVD! :big_grin: