People who we would've loved to see on TMS

crackmaster

Reaction score
For me, it would be Keith Andes. If you don't know who he is, he was a Broadway actor in the 50s that later made guest appearances on TV shows; he was Akuta in the Star Trek episode "The Apple," as well as his most famous role (to me), Birdman from Birdman and the Galaxy Trio. I think he could've done a fine job on TMS, they would make references to This Man Dawson, Glynis, and Paradise Bay (where he had leading roles) and of course Birdman and the Galaxy Trio. He could've sang "Orange-Colored Sky" before Lynda Carter did, and on the Pigs in Space sketch he could've reprised his Akuta role. Maybe I'm thinking a bit too big, as most of those shows were out of print or not on TV at the time (1978), and it'd be a year or two before Birdman and the Galaxy Trio re-aired as part of Hanna-Barbera's World of Super Adventure. The only thing kids then would've known him for was Akuta.

So, who do you think would've been good on TMS?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Jamie Farr. I'd love to see him and Miss Piggy do a duet together, both wearing such flowing dresses.

KCJ506

Reaction score
Richard Pryor
Gene Wilder
Bill Cosby
Tina Turner
Mary Tyler Moore
Elizabeth Montgomery
Barbara Eden
Aretha Franklin
Barbra Streisand
Adam West
Gene Autry
Dick Van Dyke
Don Adams
Jerry Reed
Cher
Robin Williams
Henry Winkler
Susanne Somers
Loni Anderson
Bette Midler
Dolly Parton
Robert Palmer
Billy Ocean
Phil Collins
Etta James
Marlena Shaw
Gregory Hines
Lily Tomlin

crackmaster

Reaction score
Adam West definitely. That could've been an awesome episode.

crackmaster

Reaction score
Gary Owens (they could just make a bunch of Laugh-In and Space Ghost references.)

jobi71

Reaction score
This kind of question (which is a fun one) can lead to lists with dozens and more names on them. I am going to limit my choices with some self imposed parameters.

If there was a "Lost episode" somewhere in Lord Grade's vault I would hope the guest star would be Gene Wilder. He was active and popular when the show was being made. Many of his colleagues were guests as was his wife, Gilda Radner. I think he would have been perfect.

And for my list let's pretend that Richard Pryor was able to film his episode.

With Wilder and Pryor being accounted for the five guests - one for each season and all known and working at the time of the original series - are:

1. Sidney Poitier
2. Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore - both worthy of their own episode but I think a good duo
3. Olivia Newton John
4. Catherine Deneuve
5. John Candy

If there was to be a limited reboot of the show today with roughly the same format with the newer characters incorporated with the classic cast I think Daniel Radcliffe would be a perfect guest for the pilot. And the five guests stars I would have to round out the reboot are:

1. Hugh Jackman
2a. Betty White (assuming her health is holding up)
2b. Maggie Smith (assuming her health is holding up)
(if they are both in good shape well then an extra bonus episode why not?)
3. Megan Mulally and Nick Offerman
4. Dev Patel
5. Lucy Liu

People have in the past suggested The Beatles and Monty Python (individual members of each or each as a group) as guests. Both groups would be great but I think each would need an hour special episode so they get to have moments together and individually.

That's my line up for today.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Great idea for a thread!

Considering the frequent appearances by Ray Charles with the Muppets, it's a bit surprising he didn't have his own TMS episode.

Mel Brooks even appeared in TMM, but not as a guest.

Robin Williams wasn't able to appear on TMS as originally planned, but his zany humor would have been a great fit.

Most of the entertainers who appeared on the cover of Muppet Magazine (Mr. T, Pee-Wee Herman, Jason Bateman, Kirk Cameron, Drew Barrymore, etc.) would have made for fun guests if the show had run into the 1980s.