Unearthing previously "lost" Sesame Street episodes

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah. I'm sure they could have gotten Jim and Frank for a street plot, but in the time it would take for one of those, they could've shot like 5 or 6 E&B pieces to sprinkle in several episodes rather than limiting their involvement to just one.
I am at a loss on whether it'd have been better to have them be involved in a street story and sacrifice a few more inserts that could have been done that year. It'd be a street story that, once the new season began (unless the street story was reused two seasons later), most likely wouldn't be seen again for years. On the other hand, by then they would have had a large back catalog of existing inserts to run throughout the season, so even if we didn't get as much new Ernie and Bert (and Kermit and Cookie Monster and Grover) content that year due to them using their time for a street story, at least there'd be plenty of existing material to rerun.

One thing I'd like to do, as soon as all of the 1980s guides are complete, is figure out how many new segments Jim and Frank did each year after about season 12. I have counted all Jim/Frank segments I could think of that are confirmed for seasons 12 and 13 but forget how many, and I've counted about 14 segments Jim did in season 21. I've probably counted all his new segments in season 20 but forget. I probably could look at all sketch guides and figure out now how many segments Frank did each season for seasons 20-43 (well, I know it was four in season 43, and two each in seasons 40 and 42).

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
At least you could see Grover on the street on Sesame Place in the 1980s.

(Though I still feel like Grover must have had at least one street scene appearance sometime on Sesame Street in the '80s.):super:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Yeah, that's about it.

Also of note: season 26 appears to be first season to not have any new material by Frank at all, aside from a couple of holdover segments from season 25 (judging by the dates, I'm guessing he was deep in production on The Indian in the Cupboard at the time).

EDIT: scratch that, it looks like he didn't shoot anything for season 17 either - Little Shop shooting was in late 1985, so that might explain it.

Last edited:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's a full guide, and pictures, for episode 2806!

https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Episode_2806

There are certain segments that the wiki didn't note airing during this period (and their last appearances came before this) that I wondered if appeared in this.... And none of those segments do.

When talking about when certain segments last aired, I can now, finally, stop adding a "we don't know if it was in episode 2806" note (though I don't know whether the few other '90s episodes that weren't known to be the full original broadcast are complete as aired in the states).

EDIT TO ADD: I now see that the full guide has been up since April 13. I don't know how I didn't know this sooner.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Snuffy meets David's grandma Harriet.

https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Episode_2138

I didn't pay attention to the fact that this was from season 17 so when I started reading the description, I expected this to be another instance of a near-miss (I thought the photo was also an instance of David barely missing Snuffy). I wonder if they bring up the fact that he's real now (well, they clearly acknowledge that Snuffy had not yet met Harriet, but at least if they missed this time, plenty of characters could vouch that he's real).

It'd be interesting to see a list of all instances after episode 2096 where they mention that people used to think he was Big Bird's imaginary friend. It was mentioned in the first two episodes after, I wouldn't be surprised if it was mentioned in the last two episodes of that week, but was it ever mentioned again after this (and I don't even know if it is or isn't mentioned in this episode). I can see it sometimes being brought up in season 17, but not much later.

hooperfan

Reaction score
Snuffy meets David's grandma Harriet.

https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Episode_2138

I didn't pay attention to the fact that this was from season 17 so when I started reading the description, I expected this to be another instance of a near-miss (I thought the photo was also an instance of David barely missing Snuffy). I wonder if they bring up the fact that he's real now (well, they clearly acknowledge that Snuffy had not yet met Harriet, but at least if they missed this time, plenty of characters could vouch that he's real).

It'd be interesting to see a list of all instances after episode 2096 where they mention that people used to think he was Big Bird's imaginary friend. It was mentioned in the first two episodes after, I wouldn't be surprised if it was mentioned in the last two episodes of that week, but was it ever mentioned again after this (and I don't even know if it is or isn't mentioned in this episode). I can see it sometimes being brought up in season 17, but not much later.
When it was repeated in season 19, the scene with Harriet meeting Snuffy was omitted