Top 9 TV Puppet Shows that Weren't Muppets

D'Snowth

Reaction score
BTL was so similar that I actually thought it was a Henson production when it first came out . . . not sure how it was WIMZIE'S HOUSE that got slapped with the "copyright infringement" lawsuit, even though Sesame/Henson people worked on that show as well (Norman Stiles, Chris Cerf, Jim Kroupa, and even Canada SST producers).

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
not sure how it was WIMZIE'S HOUSE that got slapped with the "copyright infringement" lawsuit, even though Sesame/Henson people worked on that show as well (Norman Stiles, Chris Cerf, Jim Kroupa, and even Canada SST producers).
The reason it didn't get sued was probably because of all the SST people working on it. That and the fact that the The Jim Henson Company was in the process of selling the SST Muppets when this show came out. Plus,both shows were on the same channel,so that might've gotten really messy.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Also,it's interesting that Between the Lions was sort of the Electric Company of the 2000s.Both shows covered about the same curriculum and The Electric Company was very similiar to how Sesame Street was at the time,while Between the Lions was basically how Sesame Street was in the 90s-early 2000s.

Drtooth

Reaction score
BTL was so similar that I actually thought it was a Henson production when it first came out . . . not sure how it was WIMZIE'S HOUSE that got slapped with the "copyright infringement" lawsuit, even though Sesame/Henson people worked on that show as well (Norman Stiles, Chris Cerf, Jim Kroupa, and even Canada SST producers).
My main issue with Wimzie is that it could have been a better show with better puppetry and less reliance on prerecorded dialogue from voice actors. There's just something off about the show, and I think it was that.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Almost neglected to mention Johnson and Friends, an Australian preschool series from 1990-95 that ran for a brief moment in the U.S. on Fox Kids in the early '90s, and was about an ensemble cast of toys that came to life while their owner was away (and done 5 years before Toy Story, too!). It was comprised of full-bodied puppets surrounded by gigantic sets, and was quite impressive for its day. I especially love Diesel the toy truck with his insatiable need to crash into things, and his expressive windshield wipers that served as his eyes. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Almost neglected to mention Johnson and Friends, an Australian preschool series from 1990-95 that ran for a brief moment in the U.S. on Fox Kids in the early '90s, and was about an ensemble cast of toys that came to life while their owner was away (and done 5 years before Toy Story, too!).
Lest we forget THE CHRISTMAS TOY was pretty much a decade or so before TOY STORY.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
Anything done by Shari Lewis definitely tops the chart, Alf deserves plenty more recognition (don think anyone on the forum has mentioned Alf) and Eureeka's Castle also does not get the praise it deserves

scooterfan360

Reaction score
Pinwheel, today's special, under the umbrella tree, dumbo's circus, miss peach of the kelly school, eureka's castle, and lots more non muppet puppets I can name but there are so many out there., two had a prime time sitcom, and they are alf and cousin skeeter.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
Anything done by Shari Lewis definitely tops the chart, Alf deserves plenty more recognition (don think anyone on the forum has mentioned Alf) and Eureeka's Castle also does not get the praise it deserves
I just did.