Remembering Caroll Spinney (December 26, 1933-December 8, 2019)

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
God, this is devastating. I'm not surprised that it happened; the man was 85 and not in the best shape, but still. :frown:

Thank you Caroll, for all that you did in your wonderful life. You helped me through some of my toughest moments, as I'm sure you did with countless others. You touched the whole world with your gifts, and you CERTAINLY made it a better place.

:wisdom::grouchy::wisdom::grouchy::wisdom::grouchy::wisdom::grouchy:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow. I mean, just, wow. I was finishing decorating the tree today, finally got the place cleaned up from the mess, took a break to come onto MC, and this is what I see . . . I don't even know how to react to this - the happiest time of year, and this happens.

I'm so happy that he at least lived to see SS turn 50, he certainly went above and beyond to fulfill he commitment and dedication to Big Bird and Oscar, and for that, we can all be grateful. Much like with Jerry Nelson, and even Jane Henson years before, we knew Caroll was living on borrowed time, but this still feels so sudden and unexpected, and I can't believe I'm reading about this just after finishing the last little bit of Christmas decorating. I feel devastated.

I'm also so proud and honored that I did, indeed, have the rare opportunity to meet him in person two years ago: even then, his health wasn't so great, his voice was very soft and barely audible, he often trailed off mid-sentence and Debbie would have to finish answering questions for him, he had his sunglasses, he was being pushed in a wheelchair, and his handshake was very weak . . . but none of that took away from the moment of getting to meet and speak with one of the most inspiring people in the world, and what a legacy he's leaving behind: he certainly embodied two of the most beloved and cherished icons in children's television of all time . . . and what he's said is true - Big Bird will be adopted now, but he's in capable hands with Matt; and we all know that Oscar will continue to live flawlessly with Eric as well.

I'm still so shocked and saddened by this. I feel like crying.

Steve Arino

Reaction score

The Puppet World is mourning a great loss today as Caroll Spinney, a year after retiring from "Sesame Street" (where he played both Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch from 1969 til his 2018 Retirement last year from Performing), has died.

Caroll Spinney, 85, had reportedly been living with Dystonia for some time.

Born on December 26, 1933 in Waltham, Massachusetts, Caroll Edwin Spinney enlisted in the Air Force as a young man; besides playing Big Bird on "Sesame Street," Caroll also played the character in both "The Muppet Movie" and "The Muppets Take Manhattan," as well as "Muppet Family Christmas," a 1987 special airing on the ABC Television Network on December 11, 1987.

Caroll, the younger of three boys growing up in Massachusetts, is survived by his wife, Debbie, as well as three grown children from his first failed marriage.

Since Caroll's Retirement, Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch have been performed by Matt Vogel, who took over for Steve Whitmire as Kermit the Frog after Steve's abrupt 2016 Firing from The Walt Disney Company (Muppets owner since February 2004), and who also played Constantine in Disney's "Muppets Most Wanted" before taking over as Kermit the Frog around October 2016.

God Speed, Caroll Spinney, and may you fly Eternally into the Heavens.

12/26/1933 - 12/08/2019

wiley207

Reaction score
This is another one of those "voice of my childhood" deaths that hit me fairly hard, along with June Foray, Jerry Nelson, Robin Williams and Alan Young. They and Caroll will all leave a great legacy...
Tonight I'm going to watch "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" and "A Muppet Family Christmas" in memory of him, what with the holiday season here...
Even a gruff wolf like my Zak Wolf fursona is saddened by the loss, going through the "Sesame Street" albums in his record library...

fragglevision

Reaction score
Yikes.
I wasn't as emotionally connected with him as Jerry, obviously, but it can't be denied that he left behind such an extraordinary body of work that'll live on for the ages. Such a shame to see him go.
Rest in power, my dude.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Just saw this thread title in the Latest Posts section. This news certainly makes me sad being the life-long SST fan I've been. My condolescences to his surviving family. Resquitez in pax Master Spinney, your legacy will shine brightly as you join your brothers and sisters in Muppeteer Heaven. :wisdom: :grouchy: :cry:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It’s the same day as we lost Juice Wrld a rapper at age 21 who died from a seizure

Juice Wrld was 4 years older than me. And to be honest that hits me harder the Carolls death. Now I’m not really a fan of Juice Wrld, I’ve never listened to his music except for Hide which I adore but it’s the fact that it has shown me life is so short and unlike Mr Spinney he was just beginning his career that he will never see grow and he won’t get to enjoy unlike Caroll who got to live life to the fullest.

Both are very sad for very different reasons
You see, that's the thing. You don't know when your time will be up. It could be 80 years from now, it could be tomorrow. You don't know. I don't know. Only God knows. That's why you need to make each day count. Caroll certainly did.