Oscarfan

Reaction score
Last edited:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Special - Sesame Street's 50th Anniversary Celebration
HBO Premiere: Saturday November 9, 2019
PBS Premiere: Sunday November 17, 2019

This Saturday. don't miss the long-awaited, all-new one hour Sesame Street special on HBO. "Sesame Street's 50th Anniversary Celebration" will premiere on Saturday November 9 at 7 pm eastern, 6 pm central.

The world's most iconic street celebrates its 50th anniversary. To mark the occasion, everyone comes together to take a photo under the Sesame Street sign—but the sign is missing. While Elmo and friends search for the sign, Joe takes a look back at 50 years of Sesame Street memories, and everyone soon realizes that Sesame Street isn't just a sign or a street—it's a place where everybody is welcome.

If you pre-order the "Sesame Street's 50th Anniversary Celebration" DVD from Amazon using this link a small portion of your order will go to Muppet Central to help make future upgrades possible. It's a great way to help MC and get a great price on the DVD with a low-price guarantee.

If you saw "Sesame Street's 50th Anniversary Celebration", please like this post and share your thoughts below.
I've finally seen it and I must say I loved it. It was great that they brought back Bob, Gina, Linda, Maria and Luis and all our favorites. (One disappointment was that Leela didn't get her own scene unfortunately. It was sort of hard to spot her in that crowd.) Then of course Whoopi had an appearance, she's sort of been a staple in the most recent Sesame Street/Muppet productions. I liked Kermit's rendition of 'Bein' Green' with whatshisname. I guess that was the first Matt got to sing Jim's/Kermit's other signature song besides "Rainbow Connection."

Interesting that Joe mixed up Guy Smiley and Don Music (possibly an inside joke to the fact that they're the same AM pattern.)

I liked seeing other long lost characters like Harvey Kneeslapper, Roosevelt Franklin, Little Bird, etc.

Also, did Frank return as Lefty? I'm thinking Eric and Dave still performed Bert, Grover and CM respectively, but since a character like Lefty is a rarer character I wonder about that. I did however see Carroll as himself in the crowd of people at the end.

I also saw the credit 'Jim Henson' as the baker, so they must have used his archival recording.

Then there was Joe inserting himself in the sketches/songs. The animated Mr. Hooper in the grocery store segment. I could go on and on. Definitely five stars.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I've finally seen it and I must say I loved it. It was great that they brought back Bob, Gina, Linda, Maria and Luis and all our favorites. (One disappointment was that Leela didn't get her own scene unfortunately. It was sort of hard to spot her in that crowd.) Then of course Whoopi had an appearance, she's sort of been a staple in the most recent Sesame Street/Muppet productions. I liked Kermit's rendition of 'Bein' Green' with whatshisname. I guess that was the first Matt got to sing Jim's/Kermit's other signature song besides "Rainbow Connection."

Interesting that Joe mixed up Guy Smiley and Don Music (possibly an inside joke to the fact that they're the same AM pattern.)

I liked seeing other long lost characters like Harvey Kneeslapper, Roosevelt Franklin, Little Bird, etc.

Also, did Frank return as Lefty? I'm thinking Eric and Dave still performed Bert, Grover and CM respectively, but since a character like Lefty is a rarer character I wonder about that. I did however see Carroll as himself in the crowd of people at the end.

I also saw the credit 'Jim Henson' as the baker, so they must have used his archival recording.

Then there was Joe inserting himself in the sketches/songs. The animated Mr. Hooper in the grocery store segment. I could go on and on. Definitely five stars.
my favorite moment being Elvis Costello's "Bein' Green" duet with Kermit
Okay. That was an Elvis? I thought Kermit just got him mixed up with Elvis Presley. Lol.

It was especially great to see Linda again amongst the classic cast members! Even Leela returned as well.
Okay. Can someone point out exactly where Leela was in this special? I clicked on the photo that was at the top of this thread with all the cast members and I still couldn't find her. I think I need some help on that one.

And WOW, Christopher Hayes is so spot-on with Hoots the Owl!
So that wasn't one of the regular Muppeteers? I wonder if he can perform Hoots more often.

Last edited:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
No, that was Ryan Dillon, unexpectedly (but not surprisingly) slaying it.

Leela's in the green top; she's the one who comes in with Maria and Luis during "Welcome!"
I thought that was Gabi. I may want to check on that again.

Serious question: Had Big Bird stopped calling Hooper Looper? Because he did it in the special?
Yeah. In most recent eps, he's been getting the name right, but I think he did it in this special as a nod to the old days of the show.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I'm not surprised Eric Jacobson performed Harvey, given how he can nail the Frank Oz voices. He even had the laugh down! And as for Peter Linz as Captain Vegetable, that's not too surprising, given how much he sounded like Jim Henson.
That may be why they gave him Ernie, rather than staying with Billy Backhurst. Kee hee hee!

Any Del

Reaction score
Saw the special just now and I have to say it was THE BEST SPECIAL EVER! My favorite parts were "Welcome" song, "Loaf, Bread and Butter" song, the mix-mashed up songs, and the infamous "Sing" song. Great to see characters we haven't seen in a long time!

Only downside is I missed the part of "People in Your Neighborhood" and some parts of the special due to my network connection acting up and my dad interrupting me... :smirk:

Overall I rate this special a 10/10!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Question could Harry be slowly becoming a replacement for Murray?
I still think SW could easily recast Murray or at least have him make sporadic appearances with a new performer such as in specials like this. If they can do that with other long lost characters who's performers are no longer around, they certainly could do it with Murray.

And I'm pretty sure tampering with street signs is illegal, LOL.
Well, it's understandable that they wanted to make it a surprise. I guess they just sort of went to far. I can't hold a grudge. I made the same mistake with an April Fool's joke I did here a few years ago, so it happens. Lol.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I couldn’t stop smiling throughout the whole thing! It was great seeing some of the characters we haven’t seen for years again, even the human characters. Although, I don’t think the “Loaf of bread, container of milk and a stick of butter” song was really necessary. Loved Kermit’s appearance with Elvis Costello. We finally hear Matt’s version of “Bein’ Green” and it’s fantastic!

Well, here’s hoping for another 50 years for Sesame Street.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
#LetGordonHost
Don't worry. He'll host the next milestone SS anniversary series.

April fool!

That would be cool if he did though considering he was sort of the host of the show and has been a classic human ever since the days when Matt Robinson played him (or even Garrett Saunders) we should make a petition for that to happen.