What happened to TBS?

scooterfan360

Reaction score
What happened to tbs ? it use to be a great channel , but now it's just terrible.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They've fallen victim to the same thing that happened to TV Land a decade ago: they started producing their own original "sitcoms" (a subjective term, in this case) and decided to put most of their focus into that.

It also doesn't help that outside their own original programming, they've basically turned into "The Seth MacFarlane Channel."

datman24

Reaction score
Not just TBS, cable TV in general. Most cable channels these days run the same shows for three-four hours straight. This has been an ongoing problem for pretty much the last decade. And they wonder why people are dropping cable...

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I'm one of the scant few old enough to remember life before cable.
Once upon a time, before 1977, there were three networks. CBS, NBC, ABC, and PBS. Then in 1987 came Fox. That was IT! So you had to schedule your activities around your favorite shoes. And if you missed a show, you had to wait all week to see it again.
With cable, not only was reception a million times better, but we got HBO and a few Philly channels to add to our New York channels. Great Deal.

Things exploded in the 80s with MTV and Nick out of New York, and USA, TNT, CNN, and TBS out of Atlanta. But over the years more channels got added. Many started out promising having retro lineups like TVLand, Antenna, Noggin, Sprout, MeTV, etc. But after a few years and their contracts for airing older shows, they thought it would be cheaper to produce their own shows. Easier to air your own crap than license back catalogues and pay residual fees on them. That's what sank TBS.
TV is expensive business. It costs a small fortune to air a decades-old show, and ultimately either the advertiser or the viewer ends up paying for it. Money talks.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Not just TBS, cable TV in general. Most cable channels these days run the same shows for three-four hours straight. This has been an ongoing problem for pretty much the last decade. And they wonder why people are dropping cable...
This sounds like the radio. 🤣

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I relied on a certain cable network, and it was more fun to watch over a decade ago, with a vast variety of reruns of older programming. Fun times.

But today, we get mini marathons of the same modern-day shows on a daily basis, plus the vast majority of programming consists of original material produced by the cable network which is nothing but garbage and should be thrown away into Oscar the Grouch's garbage can forever.

I would have a desire to cancel my package, but considering the bundle package I have (which includes phone and internet service) is the cheapest I can get, I am, unfortunately, stuck with that redundant cable network which I have no plans to watch any time soon, but at least I do have good quality phone service and Internet, the latter of which I enjoy more than television now.

There was a time when I used to watch a lot of television. But nowadays, I watch virtually no television in an average week.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You're speaking of TV Land, aren't you? Because that was one of my favorite channels as well . . . it introduced me to so many wonderful classic shows of yesteryears that really shaped my preferences in television comedies, as well as influenced my desire to model most of my original work on YouTube in a way that tries to recapture the spirit of television of a bygone era.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
There was a time when I used to watch a lot of television. But nowadays, I watch virtually no television in an average week.
Well for me it's simply been replaced by the internet; I love that content creators can create their own without a middle man. Plus no commercials, I watch what I want when I want to watch it, etc.

You're speaking of TV Land, aren't you? Because that was one of my favorite channels as well . . . it introduced me to so many wonderful classic shows of yesteryears that really shaped my preferences in television comedies, as well as influenced my desire to model most of my original work on YouTube in a way that tries to recapture the spirit of television of a bygone era.
It influenced your laugh track too. :wink:

I'll stop now lol.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Pretty much, I think TBS is going turn into to Adult Swim, they are losing all Fox shows and Seinfeld.