Early Sesame Street was strange...

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Lefty was a shady guy. He was a con man, trying to chisel Ernie out of money, but only succeeded twice. Once selling Ernie air, another time a picture of four elephants.But each time he only made off with a nickel. Petty crime at best.
Also, what about the time Lefty sold Ernie an invisible ice cream cone? Lefty did succeed, even if the nickel Ernie paid with was invisible.

Last time he was seen, he stole a golden AN.But Stan the Man busted him. He was supposed to get ten days in the can,but what happened after that is anybody's guess.
I'd say for Lefty to be busted, that was likely the producer's way to write him off the show, me thinks.

Last edited:

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Also, what about the time Lefty sold Ernie an invisible ice cream cone? Lefty did succeed, even if the nickel Ernie paid with was invisible.

I'd say for Lefty to be busted, that was likely the producer's way to write him off the show, me thinks.
I heard rumor they might bring him back for the 50th anniversary, though I think it would be a cameo because of how Lefty is a character that isn’t able to get away especially in modern times. You could never create a character like Lefty these days.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
With the invisible ice cream cone, Ernie might still have money in his pocket. And he's happy to enjoy an imaginary ice cream cone. Lefty can't spend an invisible nickel. So Ernie came out ahead. Lefty didn't profit from his scam.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Do keep in mind these were different times, so many skits were considered by today’s standards pretty bizzare.

But that’s what I loved about Jim’s magic - he had a very bizzare sense of humor and it showed in these skits.

Last edited: