Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

datman24

Reaction score
Nah. What I see is another massive boycott of PBS like what happened in 2005: the religious and morality groups will spread propaganda about PBS brainwashing children into the "evil, dangerous cult that is homosexuality," and that parents must stop watching and supporting PBS at all costs.

Seriously, this is why we stopped doing pledge drives: our pledges took a serious nose-dive back when that happened.
I don't we will something of nature happen today. In spite of the current state of affairs in this country, we have definitely come a long way since 2005. Yes, there are going to be groups of people who will be morally against this, but given the nature of LGBTQ representation in the media, I think they understand that this is not a battle worth fighting. Look at this way, back in 2009, when Adam Lambert seemed to be clear winner for American Idol and he came out as gay like it was no big deal, the media made it look like it was a big scandal, and was likely the reason he came in second to a guy we barely hear from now. We have come a long way since then. Society has become more accepting of the LGBTQ community than it did about a decade ago. Was there a mass boycott of Nickelodeon when The Loud House showed two dads? No, so I do not expect another mass boycott of PBS.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Was there a mass boycott of Nickelodeon when The Loud House showed two dads?
Trump and the so-called "Silent Majority" (who are anything but silent) hadn't yet "taken back America" when Loud House first came to be.

And no, while there hasn't been any mass boycotts against it, there still has been some descent from people complaining that Nick is "pushing agendas on our children who don't need to be exposed to this lifestyle." It's miniscule compared to way back when, yes, but it's not entirely without its naysayers.

We've made some progress, yes, but we haven't come as long of a way as you may think we have, and with the way things are regressing right now, I still wouldn't doubt there'd be a ton of outcry over this.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
People are complaining about gay characters being in modern day cartoons yet seemed to have had no issue with a cross dressing homosexual crab in the Powerpuff Girls.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's like I've said many times before: people obsess over Ernie and Bert being gay because they're two guys who live together and bicker like an old married couple . . . but a cross-dressing, shrieky-voiced elephant with effeminate mannerisms somehow completely escapes them?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
it's the same reason why people praise horrible representation that's obviously pandering to the vocal minority, while shaming actual proper representation for not being 'gay' enough

i think people really do want to just turn every character gay, so they focus on the ones that arent so obvious and really really reach for straws in justifying it

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I honestly never really picked up too many gay vibes from Ratburn like apparently the rest of the fandom has, but I will admit I definitely see some shades of lesbianism in Francine, and as that AOK Adult Arthur video pointed out, I can totally see her and Muffy getting together as a couple when they're adults.

Otherwise, the Binky speculation is very similar to Mikey from RECESS: they're big softies, appreciate more cultured things in life (for Binky it's ballet, for Mikey it's poetry), so according to our societal mentality, that automatically means they're gay . . . and, I'm not exaggerating that at all; being an artist and a puppeteer who doesn't care too much for sports (and never really had an interest in dating), for years my sister was so certain that I was gay and would try to encourage me to come out of the closet, even though I never was and I never am.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Weren’t they also involved in that Postcards From Buster episode back in 2005 which featured the two lesbian mothers?