Will HBO renew their Sesame Street contract?

ssetta

Reaction score
I recently got to wondering if HBO will renew the contract to air Sesame Street after Season 50. Because I'm pretty sure when the HBO deal was announced back in 2015, they said the contract was 5 years. And I haven't heard if HBO will renew it. It could mean, and I certainly hope not, that Season 50 would be the last season. But also, maybe it could go back to primarily airing on PBS, or another network might pick it up. I'm not even sure how good the ratings on HBO have been, because it seems like not all that many people have HBO anymore, and a lot of people I've talked to weren't even aware of the change. So does anyone know if the contract will be renewed?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I heard the world was going to end in 2012, because that's when the Mayan calendar ended.

I also heard the world was going to end in 2015 because certain lunar events were going to mark the Second Coming of Christ.

I also hear the world is going to end in 2020 because that's when Armageddon will happen.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
If the show isn’t renewed for HBO, chances are it will probably be moved somewhere else like Netflix or Amazon or whatever.

datman24

Reaction score
This may sound like an unpopular opinion, but personally, I hope Sesame Street ends at Season 50. Given the ever-changing environment in preschool programming, the "street" thing just doesn't seem to be working anymore. I think Season 50 is a good round number to end it at, then we can at least say that Sesame Street had a good 50-year run. After which, they can start a brand new show with the same characters, but a new setting and format that actually fits well with the modern-day preschool television environment. All of this is highly unlikely to happen, but hey, one can always dream.

gravy

Reaction score
This may sound like an unpopular opinion, but personally, I hope Sesame Street ends at Season 50. Given the ever-changing environment in preschool programming, the "street" thing just doesn't seem to be working anymore. I think Season 50 is a good round number to end it at, then we can at least say that Sesame Street had a good 50-year run. After which, they can start a brand new show with the same characters, but a new setting and format that actually fits well with the modern-day preschool television environment. All of this is highly unlikely to happen, but hey, one can always dream.
that idea hurts to think of but works

BertFan

Reaction score
I don't think that the show will be canceled after Season 50 it will probably be around another 10 years or so before it gets canceled.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
From what I heard, HBO was the best place for Sesame and it seems like that they’re keeping it there.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Honestly, regardless of that nine-month window waiting period between HBO and PBS, the HBO deal is really a win-win for all involved - HBO gets a popular brand to entice new subscribers with, Sesame gets to keep producing new seasons and specials, and PBS gets 'em for free.