Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

MWoO

Reaction score
This is why the #metoo movement is getting scary. Yes, we absolutely should take women seriously when they report a sexual assault. Yes, we absolutely should investigate cases and gather evidence to see what really happened. No, we should not just take anyone's word at face value and punish the accused simply because they were accused.

The Me Too movement went from the righteous cause of exposing real and vile sexual predators to claiming no one has the right to question the validity of an accusation. We use to be a country that believed it was morally right to let 10 guilty people go free if it meant one innocent person would not be jailed. We have totally flipped that script.

Kristen Bell, who I adore as an actress, recently said that Snow White is sexist because the Prince kisses her without consent. She completely misses the entire point of the scene, and labels it as assault by stripping it of any context. This is not rational thinking.

Yes, rapists should be jailed. Yes, women should feel as if they will not automatically be dismissed when coming forward. No, we should not just assume that every claim of assault is 100% because a woman might feel uncomfortable answering a few questions when trying to gather evidence.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Pfft.

Snow White is just an innocent fairy tale - keep all that political **** away from it. :rolleyes:

I think it's just gone over to the fact that this country has just gotten very pussified - now we're afraid to ask women any questions about the incident that happened without them being like "wow, ur such a seksist pig!!!111!!!!! How DARE u believe my claim with no evidence to back it up was false!!!!1111!!!! Seksist! Seksist! Seksist!"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What does Kristen Bell even do anyway? I never see her do anything other than just stand around for sex appeal.

MWoO

Reaction score
What does Kristen Bell even do anyway? I never see her do anything other than just stand around for sex appeal.
I haven't seen much of her work, but I greatly enjoy her on The Good Place. The show brings up a lot of questions about morality and the nature of goodness, while also making time to be stupid and funny. It seems like they try to be impartial and stick to philosophical questions which I like. I also really liked Frozen and thought it was a nice modern fairy tale. I don't see why we need to bash older ones though.

I'm all for the creation of new stories and media that support the idea of female independence. I also support the creation of media that shows male independence, and equality, and even the saving of the occasional princess. What I don't support is the attempt to mislabel and ruin older media.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The Democratic candidate for governor in WI likened abortion as just another medical procedure like a tonsillectomy.
Those are the types I simply can't trust. The extremists the Democrats are too terrified to challenge.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I haven't seen much of her work, but I greatly enjoy her on The Good Place. The show brings up a lot of questions about morality and the nature of goodness, while also making time to be stupid and funny. It seems like they try to be impartial and stick to philosophical questions which I like. I also really liked Frozen and thought it was a nice modern fairy tale. I don't see why we need to bash older ones though.

I'm all for the creation of new stories and media that support the idea of female independence. I also support the creation of media that shows male independence, and equality, and even the saving of the occasional princess. What I don't support is the attempt to mislabel and ruin older media.
Just to piggyback on ruining older media or films from past decades...
One series of films I always enjoyed was Our Gang, later rebranded for tv as The Little Rascals. These films were made in the 1920's and 30's by a small independent outfit called Hal Roach Studios, distributed by MGM.
The films have been criticized by some (including a therapist who earlier this year made a lot of enemies here) for being blatantly racist. There were a handful of scenes that would be objectionable by today's standards. But the black children depicted have stated in interviews Hal Roach was never racist. If stereotypes apply, it applied to all of them. There was a black kid, a blonde kid, a freckle-faced redhead, a pretty girl, and a fat kid, etc.
And a dog.
Compared to other films cranked out at the time, with children dressed up in blackface, Our Gang was as progressive as one could get.
In a positive way.

One I recommend on YouTube, "Pups Is Pups", from 1930, is a masterpiece that has been included in the Library of Congress for being culturally significant and technically flawless.

D'Snowth

Reaction score

Is this not what I've been saying about the left's stance on abortion? That they use women's rights as a mask for it?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
So people of color being killed by racist cops whether unarmed or not isn't fine to them.

Killing anyone of the LGBT community whether unarmed or not isn't fine to them.

But killing an unborn fetus in order to support "women's rights" is fine to them.

Okay.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You can see why this is one area where I'm actually against a Democratic policy.

Yes, women should be given the choice for themselves, but why are they pushing abortion as if it's the only choice women have? Yes, I know heralde has said the options of adoption or foster care aren't much better, but at least they don't involve the murder of a life that hasn't even gotten the chance to live.