Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
There were also plenty of white people who couldn’t stand Obama being made fun of.

Anybody who has ever been president, there will be editorial cartoons and caricatures made of them. It comes with the territory of being that guy.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I've seen it go both ways as far as reactions from minorities are concerned. Yeah, some of them do actually say that the joke is actually pretty funny, or that they can actually relate to it, but then some of them also say they feel it was uncomfortable for them, or done in poor taste. A lot of it depends on two factors: the context in which the joke was used, and whether or not the person reacting can even take a joke in the first place (i.e. certain white people whenever SNL made fun of Trump).
Oh yeah, for sure. No two minds think alike. This is just more the annoyance of white people who try and speak for all minorities and basically label the ones who enjoy this humor (good taste or not) as sellouts.

There were also plenty of white people who couldn’t stand Obama being made fun of.

Anybody who has ever been president, there will be editorial cartoons and caricatures made of them. It comes with the territory of being that guy.
Yeah, those people were really annoying. I for one found the political humor with Obama to be quite funny.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
SNL making Trump is not offensive (or maybe it is to trump supporters?), it just got tiring to rehash the same shtick over and over again. Darrell Hammond played the role well, Baldwin played the role poorly.

A youtuber named Drew Gooden stated my opinions on SNL's Trump perfectly

“Comedy with an agenda is not funny, because it’s not meant to make people laugh, it’s meant to make people agree.”

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Trump even appeared on SNL way before he was president. He did a few comedy skits and was a good sport.
Decades ago, he was a guest on Oprah. Even back then, he was spouting ideas that became part of his policy, like bringing back jobs from overseas. And everything he said, Oprah nodded in approval, like, “He has some good ideas@.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
@LittleJerry92 & @D'Snowth

I love you both, and if you where offended by me I am truly sorry. We can love each other, and disagree.
I love you too Dwayne, and I'm sorry that it's come to this; I really wish it didn't have to, and I really wish it was as simple as disagreeing with each other, but I just couldn't deal with a lot of the stuff you were posting and sharing anymore, as it went beyond just whether or not we agreed on an issue or something, a lot of it was just plain dismissive of what's been going on with people and how their lives have been affected by things that have plagued us lately, such as the pandemic. I hate to play the "toxicity" card, but I felt this is what it boiled down to. I don't believe you're truly a bad person at all, I do believe that deep down you want to see the best in everybody - I just feel that you're terribly ill-informed about what's really going on, and you just can't open your eyes to it.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Frankly I have no respect for the guy anymore after straight up being disrespectful to my black (African, Hatain, etc) friends when I was giving them a special shout out during the George Floyd incident and explained why saying “black lives matter” does not LITERALLY mean “ONLY black lives matter ” when he brought up the stupid “all lives matter” bs just to get the spotlight and politely asked him not to, accusing me of disagreeing and then going completely silent instead of owning up after explaining why it’s not a good idea to say it at a time like this.

Not only that, but some of the stuff he shared on his Facebook page was straight up disrespectful and attacking the LGBT community. Again, I’m speaking as a bi man and those who have had these attacks used against them. It really made me angry and uncomfortable. I would also like to mention I shared some of this stuff to another good friend of mine who was also once a member here that is gay/homosexual. He was not happy at all.

But what finally did it for me was him treating the virus like it’s not an issue whatsoever just because he personally doesn’t see a problem with it. I’m speaking as someone who lost a family member to covid in January and three other family members got it afterwards (all have survived thankfully), and also to those who have lost their lives due to this horrible disease that’s caused a lot of damage to this world to begin with. The fact that he even said “coming in without a mask” (whether it was a joke or not) has only shown he purposely sees this virus as nothing more than the flu when it’s more than that.

Sorry Dwayne, while I understand what you’re saying with disagreeing on stuff, there are other things you believe and share you can’t even disagree on politely with someone as they attack communities poorly. I’m putting you on ignore now and would like to move on.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I love you too Dwayne, and I'm sorry that it's come to this; I really wish it didn't have to, and I really wish it was as simple as disagreeing with each other, but I just couldn't deal with a lot of the stuff you were posting and sharing anymore, as it went beyond just whether or not we agreed on an issue or something, a lot of it was just plain dismissive of what's been going on with people and how their lives have been affected by things that have plagued us lately, such as the pandemic. I hate to play the "toxicity" card, but I felt this is what it boiled down to. I don't believe you're truly a bad person at all, I do believe that deep down you want to see the best in everybody - I just feel that you're terribly ill-informed about what's really going on, and you just can't open your eyes to it.
I do believe the pandemic is a bad, and sad tragedy in this world. Not only because of the now millions it has killed but also the humongous financial toil its taking on everyone. That being said, I personally choose not to live in fear. Now some may deem that as selfish and foolish but its how I choose to live.
For instance I do not continuously wear a mask when I'm out and about, but if I go some place, and they ask me to wear one I will, and won't cause a scene.

As for the George Floyd murder trial, I do not dispute that his death was and is a tragedy. No 9ne deserves to die the way he did in such fear. After watching most of the trial I do question the reason the officers stayed on him for so long, but I don't think it was raceculy motivated.

Finally, for the stuff I post on Facebook. With the exception of the two pastors (Dr. Phill Kidd*My pastor* and Dr. Greg Locke) most of the extreme right wing political stuff I have shared I do for the sake of conversation. I'm a very weird person, in the fact that I love the art of expressing thoughts, and information through debate, and conversation. If I disagree with something or someone why shouldn't we have a conversation about it? Sure my mind will more than likely not completely change,but at least I will know where others are on any given point.