Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
One new detail which could change things. It seems Rayshard Brooks was on parole (what his original sentence was, I’m not sure). So when he was placed under arrest, that would put him back in jail.
So resisting the arrest, grabbing a taxer and aiming at the cop, the onus is on him now.

Since then, many Atlanta cops (65% of the force is black, by the way) are quitting, retiring early, en calling out sick in droves (The Blue Flu).
Wanna see a country without police? Hold on, business is about to pick up.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As much as I hate Trump, and everything his so-called "Administration" stands for, even I think what these so-called "TikTok Teens" did with his latest campaign rally in Oklahoma was a dirty trick.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
As much as I hate Trump, and everything his so-called "Administration" stands for, even I think what these so-called "TikTok Teens" did with his latest campaign rally in Oklahoma was a dirty trick.
Wow, something I can agree with. Even if one doesn't like President Trump, shutting down political speech is a bad precedent.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Even if Trump only had a fraction of an audience, he can still draw a crowd.

During Beto O’Rourke’s presidential bid, he almost packed a diner.

Joe Biden is consistently seeing two people a day. When he’s awake.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
How far are they going to take this crusade to remove statues they don’t like?
They might as well tear down Mt. Rushmore (kinda hard to do. This isn’t a statue mounted on a pedestal. This is a monument carved into a mountain).

The next logical step to erase Teddy Roosevelt”s legacy would be to ban “A Night at the Museum”.
Teddy Roosevelt was played by Robin Williams. Remember him?

I’m also troubled they banned “Gone With the Wind”. Yes, it depicted slavery. But the best thing that came out of that movie, Hattie MacDaniel, who played Mammy, was the first black woman to win an Oscar. Isn’t that worth remembering?

MWoO

Reaction score
Roosevelt was very much anti-racism as well. So.... why is he being removed? This isn't about Black Lives Matters at all. This is now about removing American history.

Getting rid of Confederate statues? Yes, please do. I'd rather they be removed voluntarily, but at least I get why they should be removed. Getting rid of Jefferson? Eh... hold on... I know he owned slaves, but he was also an American president and he was an abolitionist even before this country started. He tried to instill abolitionist ideals when the country was founded, but was voted down and basically had to compromise his ideals so that there would be a country to live up to those ideals after his death. Now we are going after Teddy Roosevelt? We gonna start burning Teddy Bears now?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I can understand how people feel, but what gives them the right to pull statues down by themselves?

Bot long ago a Christopher Columbus statue got pulled down (and almost landed on someone’s head).
The most hysterical part was when the statue hit the ground, people began kicking it!
This is not someone who will feel it when you kick his face in! It’s a slab of marble or bronze!
Then the statue gets spray painted with “slave owner” or “1619”.

I’ll bet you Ulysses S. Grant will be next. Despite the fact he was a Union general, and later president, and was against slavery as well, the extremists will find some way to deface him too.

Grant’s Tomb is on the Upper West Side ofManhattan. He’s not actually buried there, but you can go inside and see the caskets of him and his wife. They’ve been there since 1893. I can almost see Antifa or vandals trying to take the caskets and dump them in the Hudson River.
It’s insane. Trying to erase history. It’s not that I oppose Confederate statues or glorify the bad things people did in this country. But it’s important to remember why those statues were built in the first place.
I don’t want slavery and Jim Crow to come back, but people need to know why it existed.

Last thing I heard, some want to rename Columbus, Ohio to Flavortown.
I guess Guy Fieri did more to expand Western civilization than Columbus did.