Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I still feel bad for his circumstances in light of the fact the economy is doing decent. The market takes a few dips, but nothing as severe as 2008. Or 1987. Or 1929.
I can understand his blaming Trump for his misfortunes.He makes the perfect fall guy. Even when Trump does something good, the left has such a begrudging attitude . That's a harmful way of thinking, that their hatred for Trump outweighs the hope for the country to succeed.
It's easy to label Trump racist/sexist etc fill in the blank. Back in 2012, Mitt Romney was the same. Here's the most milquetoast, mild mannered guy in Washington. But as soon as he ran against Obama, he was the biggest racist/sexist blah blah blah.Would you rather have Romney in office now?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I can advocate for myself and say I do plenaty of research when I state how I believe on something. I chose not to reply to rebuttals because I am not someone who changes my mind very easy. I learn things better for myself. And in some cases, not every rebuttal comes off as reliable to me.

This is also coming from an experience of when I was right-leaning and pretty much believed anything Trump said was true and had a bunch of liberals trying to prove how “wrong” I was (which, today, I will now admit I was).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I still feel bad for his circumstances in light of the fact the economy is doing decent. The market takes a few dips, but nothing as severe as 2008. Or 1987. Or 1929.
1989: My family was upper class, white collar, living in affluence and oppulence in the suburbs of Nashville - at the time I was born, they were just finishing up their dream home: completely with marble kitchen countertops, cat walks, chandeliers, giant bathrooms with a jacuzzi and sun roofs, a 3-car garage . . . then just weeks after I was born, the White Collar Recession happened, my dad (who, for all intents and purposes, was at the bottom of the corporate ladder, despite his white collar job) was laid off, they lost everything, so they relocated to Knoxville, and have been working/lower class and blue collar ever since.

2010: Obama was still cleaning up Bush's mess. On top of that, as I mentioned in a previous post, Social Security was messed up, so my dad wasn't receiving his SS at all for months, and his work (as a truck driver) wasn't very steady, on top of that, my mom had mounting medical expenses from gallbladder surgery, and I was still unemployed at the time. There were several weeks where we'd have to do with one or more of the following: utilities (not fun in the summer), groceries, or frivolities (cable/internet/the like); during these times, we were often getting groceries from food pantries or poor houses, and as I also mentioned, we started stripping and selling copper wiring for extra cash.

2019: Deja vu of 2010. The major difference this time is while both of my folks still get their Social Secutity, paychecks have diminshed drastically, not only because my dad's boss is an idiot who doesn't know how to run a company, but for all intents and purposes, my dad's out of work because his boss's trucks have all been repossessed. Meanwhile, I'm also no longer getting paid for practically being a home caretaker, because I can't be paid.

It could be easy to let Trump off the hook because of all of this, but the fact remains his tax cuts only benefitted the rich, wealthy, and upper class, as those have been among the only people singing praises of his cuts; lower class not so much. Not to mention, there have been middle and lower class people feeling the pain of the results of their income tax showing that they will either be receiving less in returns, or having to pay even more - and yes, this is part of the result of Trump's tax plan.
Back in 2012, Mitt Romney was the same. Here's the most milquetoast, mild mannered guy in Washington. But as soon as he ran against Obama, he was the biggest racist/sexist blah blah blah.
The only major negative thing I remember about Romney was his threat to cut funding for PBS . . . now, that's not so much of a big deal, considering almost every Republican President since Reagan have made that same threat, but what made Romney's threat particularly significant was the reaction to the way he worded that threat by dragging Big Bird into it: the media had a field day with his remarks, such as this:

Heck, it was even included in the I AM BIG BIRD documentary; even Romney himself said the entire scenario was ridiculous how everybody (even Obama) was making it all about Big Bird.

Still, I don't remember all of that slander being tossed at Romney, but let's face it: even when McCain lost to Obama in 2008, the right tried to underplay his loss by making it all about race: "Oh, people only voted for him so they wouldn't seem racist, not because they thought he'd be a good President."

Last edited:

Old Thunder

Reaction score
How do you mean? Genuine curiosity.
MWoO and MuppetsRule are bound to make a response as soon as they come back online, and I don't think you're gonna come out looking well, regardless of who's actually right in this situation.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
MWoO and MuppetsRule are bound to make a response as soon as they come back online, and I don't think you're gonna come out looking well, regardless of who's actually right in this situation.
Okay, but the remark about the post "not aging well" seems like kind of an odd way of putting it.
Well, I mean . . . what else is new?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
1989: My family was upper class, white collar, living in affluence and oppulence in the suburbs of Nashville - at the time I was born, they were just finishing up their dream home: completely with marble kitchen countertops, cat walks, chandeliers, giant bathrooms with a jacuzzi and sun roofs, a 3-car garage . . . then just weeks after I was born, the White Collar Recession happened, my dad (who, for all intents and purposes, was at the bottom of the corporate ladder, despite his white collar job) was laid off, they lost everything, so they relocated to Knoxville, and have been working/lower class and blue collar ever since.

2010: Obama was still cleaning up Bush's mess. On top of that, as I mentioned in a previous post, Social Security was messed up, so my dad wasn't receiving his SS at all for months, and his work (as a truck driver) wasn't very steady, on top of that, my mom had mounting medical expenses from gallbladder surgery, and I was still unemployed at the time. There were several weeks where we'd have to do with one or more of the following: utilities (not fun in the summer), groceries, or frivolities (cable/internet/the like); during these times, we were often getting groceries from food pantries or poor houses, and as I also mentioned, we started stripping and selling copper wiring for extra cash.

2019: Deja vu of 2010. The major difference this time is while both of my folks still get their Social Secutity, paychecks have diminshed drastically, not only because my dad's boss is an idiot who doesn't know how to run a company, but for all intents and purposes, my dad's out of work because his boss's trucks have all been repossessed. Meanwhile, I'm also no longer getting paid for practically being a home caretaker, because I can't be paid.

It could be easy to let Trump off the hook because of all of this, but the fact remains his tax cuts only benefitted the rich, wealthy, and upper class, as those have been among the only people singing praises of his cuts; lower class not so much. Not to mention, there have been middle and lower class people feeling the pain of the results of their income tax showing that they will either be receiving less in returns, or having to pay even more - and yes, this is part of the result of Trump's tax plan.

The only major negative thing I remember about Romney was his threat to cut funding for PBS . . . now, that's not so much of a big deal, considering almost every Republican President since Reagan have made that same threat, but what made Romney's threat particularly significant was the reaction to the way he worded that threat by dragging Big Bird into it: the media had a field day with his remarks, such as this:

Heck, it was even included in the I AM BIG BIRD documentary; even Romney himself said the entire scenario was ridiculous how everybody (even Obama) was making it all about Big Bird.

Still, I don't remember all of that slander being tossed at Romney, but let's face it: even when McCain lost to Obama in 2008, the right tried to underplay his loss by making it all about race: "Oh, people only voted for him so they wouldn't seem racist, not because they thought he'd be a good President."
Actually, the desire to slash PBS (back when it was still called NET)goes back to Nixon, If he had his way, Sesame Street would've only been around for one season.
LBJ and his Great Society had a lot of flaws, but in 1968 they did get Head Start off the ground. Trying to level the playing field for inner city kids to learn. Head Start's support of Sesame Street went a long way.

I'm still sorry for all the tough breaks you had, regardless of who's in office.