Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As prudish as this may sound, don't have sex with someone you're not gonna marry, and if you do, both of you protect yourselves. Or don't have sex until you're married.
Yeah, and then you mention that, and they're like, "Oh my gawd! Where r u from, the 1800s? Nobody cares about that $#!+ anymoar!"

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Honestly the older I get, the more I learn better on budgeting.

I can tell you this - going out shopping at the mall is pretty much now an “every couple weeks” trend for me. Same goes for getting take out.

Sometimes though, it sucks when I’m having a really crummy day and I find myself driving to the nearest pizzeria to get a sandwich or pizza or feel the urge to go to Target and buy unnecessary stuff. :smirk:
Going out and getting a couple slices (pepperoni with pepper and oregano) used to be my go-to for the blues. But it's a lot cheaper to make at home. English muffins, sauce and cheese, you're good to go.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
One thing they still push, although not as prevalent as it was in the past, is using abortion as a form of birth control.
I can understand (even if I don't totally agree) if the woman is raped, if giving birth threatens the life of the mother, that in rare circumstances abortion may be necessary.
But for a woman to sleep around and have sex with anybody, get pregnant, and have an abortion because she wasn't responsible enough to use contraception (same with the guy, he should protect himself too), that doesn't fly with me.
For all the talk about women's rights, they forget about women's responsibility to that life growing in their body.
As prudish as this may sound, don't have sex with someone you're not gonna marry, and if you do, both of you protect yourselves. Or don't have sex until you're married.
This is why we NEED sex ed in schools. Mandatory. And better access to gynecological care and birth control for everyone. There is still a shocking amount of ignorance about how pregnancy and STDs occur; check any social media site at all and you'll find a significant percentage of Americans have zero clue how to prevent pregnancy. This is a terrible failure of our educational system. Though I have no moral issues with sex of any kind between consenting adults, as a teen in biology class, hearing all the ways I could become ill from having sex (this was at the height of the AIDS crisis) scared me into being very, VERY careful.

Is a fetus a baby? Depends on how you define it. A clump of cells with no distinctly human attributes yet is a fetus, same as for any reptile, avian, or mammal. We all look the same up to a certain point of development. I don't think there's ever going to be consensus on this point, between a religious and a scientific point of view. However, no one should have the right to insist a woman carry a fetus to term if she doesn't want to (or even to carry it to term and then give it up for adoption if unwanted). Is prevention better and safer than abortion? Absolutely. Does society have the right to determine what a woman does with her own body? Absolutely not.

Alabama's new law will be challenged at the highest level of our court system. And it has sparked a number of copycats around the country trying to regulate sex. Less than half of Americans support outlawing abortion, whether they personally agree with it or not; this is a clear case of a vocal minority trying to push their religion on the rest of us. This is not what representative democracy is about.

MWoO

Reaction score
Forcing a woman to carry a baby and saying a woman shouldn't kill their baby are two different things. If a woman has a child and realizes she doesnt want it, we dont let her kill her 5 year old.

If you are going to be pro-abortion you have to make peace with the fact that abortion is the killing of a human life. It just is. If you step on an egg with a chicken embryo inside, you killed a baby chick. All I ask is that pro-abortion people be logically consistent and recognize that abortion is the killing of a life.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
This is why we NEED sex ed in schools. Mandatory. And better access to gynecological care and birth control for everyone. There is still a shocking amount of ignorance about how pregnancy and STDs occur; check any social media site at all and you'll find a significant percentage of Americans have zero clue how to prevent pregnancy. This is a terrible failure of our educational system. Though I have no moral issues with sex of any kind between consenting adults, as a teen in biology class, hearing all the ways I could become ill from having sex (this was at the height of the AIDS crisis) scared me into being very, VERY careful.

Is a fetus a baby? Depends on how you define it. A clump of cells with no distinctly human attributes yet is a fetus, same as for any reptile, avian, or mammal. We all look the same up to a certain point of development. I don't think there's ever going to be consensus on this point, between a religious and a scientific point of view. However, no one should have the right to insist a woman carry a fetus to term if she doesn't want to (or even to carry it to term and then give it up for adoption if unwanted). Is prevention better and safer than abortion? Absolutely. Does society have the right to determine what a woman does with her own body? Absolutely not.

Alabama's new law will be challenged at the highest level of our court system. And it has sparked a number of copycats around the country trying to regulate sex. Less than half of Americans support outlawing abortion, whether they personally agree with it or not; this is a clear case of a vocal minority trying to push their religion on the rest of us. This is not what representative democracy is about.
We had a year of sex Ed in health(mostly urging teenage girls not to get pregnant, and for both genders masturbation is fine and dandy).
But my biggest lesson came in sophomore biology class:
Mr. Nick: "Today we'll talk about hormones".
Felicia: "Mr. Nick, do you know how to make a hormone?"
Mr. Nick: "How?"
Felicia: "Use two fingers!"
That was the end of class, because Mr. Nick couldn't keep a straight face.
I guess at the age of 15, Felicia knew something the rest of us didn't!

MuppetsRule

Reaction score

Old Thunder

Reaction score
The Biden loyalists who waited hours under a hot son​

Someone needs to recheck the spelling there.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
From what I can gather, nobody likes Biden - especially progressives (notice I didn't say Democrats). And not just because he gets all touchy-feely, but apparently because a lot of his political views seem to more or less align with the right, in terms of being in favor of big banks and Wall Street, being clueless about foreign policy, supporting war, supporting the death penalty, being against a universal or single-payer healthcare system, among other things that do, admittedly, sound far more rightwing than left wing.

While the Democratic party seems to have a highly positive view of him, much like they did Hillary in 2016, progressive liberals seem to view him as a milder version of Trump.

And, again, it's amusing how so many people are also shooting him down because, "we don't need another old, angry, white guy as President," despite that basically also summing up Bernie Sanders, who they do want.

Nevertheless, yes, we desperately do need unity during these times where the country is divided on almost every single subject you can imagine. Heck, I've already mentioned how much trouble I'm having with people within my own party when it comes to the topic of abortion and women's rights: according to them, you cannot say you support women's rights if you're against abortion . . . more specifically, you "have no right" to even discuss women's rights if you're against abortion, because, "you don't have a ****** and can't carry a child." My argument is that if you're going to call yourselves "pro-choice," then be more open to actually discuss more than one choice, rather than push abortion as if it's the only choice. But again, such an idea is met with backlash and outcry. However, some of the more reasonable extremists will at least offer up valid arguments on why other choices are actually bad, such as children waiting to be adopted never are, or children in foster care facing the possibilities of sexual abuse . . . but even so, it still diverts back to, "women don't want to go through the agony and anguish of childbirth, so you have to support abortion, or you can't say you support women's rights, and you have no ******, so you're in no position to talk about other choices for women!" So, you want me to be pro-choice when it comes to abortion, but not when it comes to any other choice? Doesn't that pretty much defeat the purpose of being pro-choice?