Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Can I just point out how funny it is that a Trump-supporting friend of mine has apparently never even heard of Beto O'Rourke before? Because, like . . . that just goes to show you what bubbles of isolation they live in, considering he was a prominent fixture during the 2016 mid-terms in his home state of Texas, and is now on the Democratic ticket for the 2020 Presidential election.

But hey, I mean, that's not really fair though, is it? I've never heard of half of these guys myself prior to them announcing their runs . . . I never even heard of Obama before he run for 2008.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Can I just point out how funny it is that a Trump-supporting friend of mine has apparently never even heard of Beto O'Rourke before? Because, like . . . that just goes to show you what bubbles of isolation they live in, considering he was a prominent fixture during the 2016 mid-terms in his home state of Texas, and is now on the Democratic ticket for the 2020 Presidential election.

But hey, I mean, that's not really fair though, is it? I've never heard of half of these guys myself prior to them announcing their runs . . . I never even heard of Obama before he run for 2008.
Not sure why the need here to point out the Trump supporter friend. I'd be willing to bet that over 50% of the people, be it Republican, Democrat or Independent, downtown who Beto is.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
A lot of the presidential hopefuls had a low profile until they announced their run. Some flew out of the gate real fast and burned out just as fast (anybody remember what'shisname? The CEO of Starbucks?)
Right now only Bernie has any marginal lead over the rest of the pack.
But they all have the same rhetoric. "Free stuff for everybody!" No different than slogans from the distant past promising "Two cars in every garage and a chicken in every pot!"

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Continued from my last post:
So what makes Beto's promise for free stuff more valid than Elizabeth Warren's promise for free stuff?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ugh. If there's one thing you can't discuss intelligently with the left, it's women's rights.

"If you don't have a ****** and carry a child, you have no right to talk about women's rights!"

"Abortion is good for everybody, you can't say it's a bad thing!"

"You can't suggest a woman put a child up for adoption or into foster care if she doesn't want the child, because it's her choice!"

"Abortion good! Adoption and foster care bad!"

"You have absolutely no influence over what a woman wants to do, which is why you support her and the decision she makes!"

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Honestly man, I think you’re better off just not getting into those debates. All it sounds like it’s doing is giving you a headache.

And putting myself in a woman’s shoes, I can see why they get defensive about it. Pregnancy isn’t an easy thing. Having to carry a baby around inside you for 9 months effects you physically and mentally.

MWoO

Reaction score
Yeah, and babies in general are taxing on mental health. We should kill them even after they are born if they won't stop crying to protect the woman.

Abortion is not a women's rights issue. Its a 14th amendment issue. Its about right of personal autonomy vs. State's interest in preserving life. Roe vs wade goes to more than just abortion.

Problem is, in order to live with the idea that we actively kill babies in this country the left has to convince itself that a fetus is a clump.of cells until it is born. They have to act like an abortion is just a regular thing and is in no way barbaric.

Yes, a person should have a right to autonomy. Yes, this includes abortion to an extent. Yes a fetus is a human life and abortion is the killing of a baby. All of these things are true, yet when discussing abortion one side blatantly ignores the other.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
One thing they still push, although not as prevalent as it was in the past, is using abortion as a form of birth control.
I can understand (even if I don't totally agree) if the woman is raped, if giving birth threatens the life of the mother, that in rare circumstances abortion may be necessary.
But for a woman to sleep around and have sex with anybody, get pregnant, and have an abortion because she wasn't responsible enough to use contraception (same with the guy, he should protect himself too), that doesn't fly with me.
For all the talk about women's rights, they forget about women's responsibility to that life growing in their body.
As prudish as this may sound, don't have sex with someone you're not gonna marry, and if you do, both of you protect yourselves. Or don't have sex until you're married.