Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Once again, the left doesn't "bash Christianity," they call people like Trump, Sanders, and others out on their hypocrisy in the name of Christ. That's what that pastor's letter was all about.
A big agree to disagree on that one. They use Christ (or a very limited understanding of him) only when they see an opportunity to bash the right. Other religions might as well not even exist, except Islam when they see it as a misunderstood underdog.

Last edited:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
As a huge lefty (at least these days), I've been planning to post a little something since hearing about this earlier this week. There's much I do not like about the Catholic church (i.e. their continual cover up of years of abuse of children) but that's not what I'm going to talk about here. I'm very proud about one very strong Catholic priest. The chaplain fired by Paul Ryan because of his support for the poor during one of his prayers. The speaker forced him to resign, yet he stood strong and wouldn't allow Ryan to pervert the teachings of Jesus Christ. I don't even think congress should have a chaplain in the first place, but if it does, this is the guy they should want. He didn't say a specific thing about policy. He simply stated that it should benefit everyone, no matter their monetary status. That shouldn't be a bad thing and the fact that Ryan found it controversial only proves that his selfish Ayn Rand philosophy is still at play. Kudos to House Chaplain Pat Conroy. You have done your faith and fellow man proud, and this gay agnostic thinks the world of you this week!!! May you serve the elected officials of the House for many more years. :halo:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Also, here's a fantastic routine by Michelle Wolf about womanhood. She's a funny lady. We're going to hear a lot more from her. No Trump. Not abortion jokes. Just observation and honesty. Wait til the payoff at the end.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There's much I do not like about the Catholic church (i.e. their continual cover up of years of abuse of children)
Agreed. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. In related news, for Hollywood to attempt to make a movie about Weinstein is the height of laughable hypocrisy.

I'm very proud about one very strong Catholic priest. The chaplain fired by Paul Ryan because of his support for the poor during one of his prayers. The speaker forced him to resign, yet he stood strong and wouldn't allow Ryan to pervert the teachings of Jesus Christ. I don't even think congress should have a chaplain in the first place, but if it does, this is the guy they should want.
::Nods head:: The Jesuits have a long tradition of education and social justice.

He didn't say a specific thing about policy. He simply stated that it should benefit everyone, no matter their monetary status. That shouldn't be a bad thing and the fact that Ryan found it controversial only proves that his selfish Ayn Rand philosophy is still at play.
He's also realizing the Reps won't be able to cite the tax break during the midterms. Not with a straight face anyway, lol.

Last edited:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
And we should be able to say she's a funny lady without pretending she didn't step over the line.
That's a comic's job. I think she should be proud of 97% of her set at the dinner. What you see as a fault in her is what I see as a win. If somebody's not offended, a comic isn't doing their job. But we've already agreed to disagree on that. I'm just glad you found the other set humorous.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Apparently Joy Reid is in trouble again. Part of free speech is accountability and allowing the market to decide your fate in America. If she truly made these statements, she should address them, stand by them, or apologize for them. Deception, as a journalist in this time of fake news, is not okay! It's also important we accept apologies when people admit fault. I accepted her apology in December, but this now appears to be part of a larger pattern of Reid devising excuses for latent homophobia and perpetuating harmful stereotypes. Her claims of hacking do not ring true. I enjoy her program and the fact that such a strong black woman has a powerful voice in mainstream media, so her alleged homophobic past greatly saddens me. If she is held accountable, however, her colleagues, regardless of race and gender, must be held equally accountable. In other words, our society has a way of giving white celebrities a pass for their homophobia that minorities do not always receive.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
@D'Snowth eh?

The left bashing on Bernie Sanders? That's something new.
I'm not sure if that's meant to be facetious. The left bashed Bernie A LOT!!!! It's was like Sophie's Choice. We could only choose one candidate, Hillary or Bernie, and the other had to be hated. I didn't do that, but many dems did. It's part of why we lost.