1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: The StoryTeller

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by SeanC, Apr 2, 2010.

Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. SeanC

SeanC Member

I picked up the DVDs of 'The Storyteller' last year ( imported them from Germany as they were deleted at home ) and I was wonderfully impressed by the overall quality of the episodes. Aside from some great performances, not least of which was John Hurt as The Storyteller himself, the creature effects were absolutely wonderful. In particular I loved the giant sized gryphon that turned up in 'The Luck Child'. This gryphon has to be one of the greatest monsters the Henson Creature Shop ever put together. It's certainly an amazing feat when something initially so scary turns out to be so cute. Loved his constant desire for 'itch scritch scratch' and his 'snoozy woozy' comment just before falling asleep. Quite endearing, actually... despite the fact that he'd eaten several people :zany:
    On a similar note, I also loved the Gryphon that turned up in the movie 'Dreamchild'. There's nothing quite like a good monster achieved through physical effects. I'm not a CGI hater ( and good CGI can be wonderful in its own way ), but there's just a certain sense of magic when you see a creature come to life via physical, hands on means. Wonderful to watch.
  2. Mystic Master

Mystic Master Member

Storyteller is amazing - its as simple as that. The Greek Myths were also good, but they dont really compare to the original. Its a shame there arent more episodes - John Hurt was fantastic, and could even play the same role, if it were ever brought back on a modern show. Its too bad the creations of the 80s are long gone - if a show like the Jim Henson hour were on, I'd watch it as an adult. But shows like these were part of the magic of the 80s, and not something we really see anymore...
  3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I like The StoryTeller. I feel like the best episodes are the ones that aired as part of The Jim Henson Hour (I guess that's a coincidence... As far as I know, they were all made in 1987, before The Jim Henson Hour was on the air). The Greek Myths series is a bit harder to pay attention to.

My favorite episodes are The Heartless Giant, The Soldier and Death, Sapsorrow, A Story Short, and The True Bride.
  4. SeanC

SeanC Member

While the Greek Myths aren't quite as good as the earlier episodes, they're still utterly superb. Michael Gambon makes for a fine substitute to John Hurt and I particularly like the Icarus episode. The Gorgon one is also great, which tells the same story as 'Clash of the Titans' in a quarter of the time yet ten times better :zany:
  5. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

I got the DVD a couple years ago for my birthday, I absolutely love this show for a number of reasons, partly cause it got me more interested in John Hurt. The Luck Child and Fear Not are probably my favorite.
  6. muppetfan89

muppetfan89 Member

I really like The Storyteller. All the performances are great, as well as the effects. More importantly though, the stories are fantastic. I see these episodes more as mini movies than anything else. I can't bring myself to call them episodes, because each one is so well made and they didn't treat it as just another episode.

I also like this show because it shows the true colors of Jim and what he wanted he really wanted to do. I think he could've made stories like these into feature length films and do really well. To me, he's underrated as a filmmaker. I think he could've well, if he made more films.
  7. Mystic Master

Mystic Master Member

Thats a good point, I could see some of these as full features, and if not that, perhaps an hourly show, rather than just 30 minutes. It would be cool if his son created a similar series - if you've seen the amazing work on shows like Farscape, its clear that the potential is still out there.
  8. SeanC

SeanC Member

'The Luck Child' would certainly be my favourite, mainly for that fantastic gryphon. 'The Heartless Giant' would come in second for me. The ending of that one is particularly good with The Storyteller explaining about how when the kid grew older and told the tale himself, the giant survived in his version. It was a great way of showing how often traditional tales are retold with the darker elements removed or altered.
  9. SeanC

SeanC Member

I have to say that for me, the 30 minute running time seems exactly right. It kind of fits with the style of the show - a tale told in front of the fire before bedtime. Perhaps if stretched out over an hour or 90 minutes, part of the magic might be lost?
  10. Monstermaster

Monstermaster New Member

Well I first got into it via Werekatt's old archive, they were screencaps from the episode Hans My Hedgehog. I've been looking into the series since then.
  11. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

Love, love, love the Storyteller. Seen every episode, I bought the 2-disc DVD set when it first came out. Apparently it's kind of rare now? Fav episode is The Soldier and Death; I loved the little devil puppets, they were frighteningly lifelike.
  12. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

I loved the Storyteller, great stories and animatronics.
  13. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I had to laugh when John Hurt was playing in one of those ancient Greek movies (was it the remake of Clash?). My first thought was, "Daaaang, the Storyteller really gets around, doesn't he?"

Anyway, the quality was amazing. I haven't seen the Greek Myths version but it's on Netflix so I might. Like y'all said, it's like watching a full-length movie but in a third of the time. While I was disappointed in the Muppet Central parts of JHH (I know, throw rocks at me), the Storyteller segments were phenomenal. Jim obviously put his heart and soul in those.
  14. SuzieChan

SuzieChan New Member

I really, really, really love "The Storyteller". Growing up it was one of the best things I've ever had the chance to see. And also one of the scariest.

The one episode that scared me the most was "Hans my Hedgehog"... the images of all grown-up Hans were haunting me throughout my entire childhood right along with the Groke from "The Moomins". XD Still it's possibly my favorite episode and the one which I remember the most fondly, not only because it was the first episode I've ever seen, but also because of the story itself and all the "Beauty and the Beast" elements in it.

Also, even though the show was quite a scare to me, it didn't stop me from watching the entire series over and over again. It was like an addiction. Heck, at some point my mom had to take away the VHS tape and hide it away from us, kids, because we were so hooked to it.

I didn't enjoy the "Greek Myths" that much, though... don't know why. As a kid I used to hate that particular season: I didn't like that John Hurt wasn't the Storyteller. As of now, my attitude towards it is better, but still it doesn't give me as much vibes as the fairytales. As much as I like Michael Gambon, he just doesn't do it for me... to me John Hurt is the Storyteller. I just love the way he acts and interacts with the dog character: it's truly brilliant.

Overall I really think it's one of the best things that Jim Henson has ever created (of course with the help of such talents as the late Anthony Minghella), and definitely worth giving a watch.