Your Thoughts: The Muppets' Wizard of Oz

What did you think of The Muppets' Wizard of Oz?

• Oz was great

Votes: 57 23.0%
  • Oz was good

Votes: 92 37.1%
  • Oz was disappointing

Votes: 64 25.8%
  • Oz was awful

Votes: 35 14.1%

• Total voters

jediX

Reaction score
I DID appreciate seeing Bean in the background, though, along with Chip from Guerrilla Television (JHH). At least they haven't forgotten they exist.

RobintheBrave

Reaction score
Overall, I liked it! It certainly wasn't on par with TMM or even MCC, but it was still a fun TV special. It kinda reminded me of a Muppet Show sketch --zany and off the wall, but not without some tender moments.

HeartlessGiant

Reaction score
Well, my expectations were LOW once i found out that it was the same director as Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. That was a pile of manure.

Have to say, this was better, but not better enough. And i think it has a lot to do with directing (more so than writing or performers).

Basically, the way i see it, the last good thing the muppets did was Treasure Island. Since then it's been steadily downhill. MFS was a number of notches down, VMMCM was a few dozen more notches down. Oz is a few notches up from VMMCM.

We've been on a Muppety roller coaster since Jim left us!

Sorry to those fans whom i offend. I love The Muppets as much as you. I promise. But this just isn't their best era.

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
I thought it was great. Very well cast (as far as the muppets), downright funny at points, and enjoyable to watch. I admit, I don't think Ashanti and Queen Latifah had much chemistry and it put a good scare into me the first 15 minutes. I was trying to figure out how I could have been so wrong. But I really enjoyed it overall. Good job.

goshposh

Reaction score
i thought it was good. it was no mm or gmc but it was still good. i like how they went back to the book and not the 1938 movie. i wonder if many people know that the 38 movie was hardly like the book. oh well, ashanti wasnt that good but she did have her moments where she was all right. i'm surprised no one has mentioned the muppeteers cameo at the end of the movie. that was a nice surprise.

Daylight

Reaction score
Well... I liked it. I think. There were lots of goods bits, but something seems to be missing, something about the way it was put together didn't seem to work. Maybe, as someone else said, it lacked energy. It didn't seem to evoke the necessary emotion. Even though MFS and VMMCM had problems, I still loved them because I still really felt that muppet energy and love, and it evoke emotions that made me want to see them again and again. Unlike a lot of people around here, I don't care much about whether all the old characters get their spots or how many songs are sung. I just like them to do a great job on the movie. And this movie was good but it wasn't great

And for those who do care about the old characters, I'm surprized no one has mentioned Foo Foo. Has Foo Foo even been shown in any of the movies before?

Also, I'd like to mention that I found the part with Kermit and Gonzo being torn apart, the most disturbing muppet moment I have ever seen.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i loved it i feel it was something all muppet fans have been waiting for and whata great story to do it to my youth paster and i sat and watched the whole thing( me being head puppeteer of the church and her being a wizard of oz fan) we laughed till our sides hurt ahhhh awsome .best thing for me was seeing my fav muppet tri back together :smile: :embarrassed: :concern:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
symbolism in piggy's hair

I'm taking a symbolic look at miss piggy's hair. If you don't go for the whole symbolism stuff in books/literature/etc, feel free to skip this post. I don't blame you in the least, I'm honestly shocked at myself for writing this.
Now the first time we see miss piggy is in the "real world" and she has a new hairstyle that we haven't seen before. And yes, this piggy seemed awfully cruel. but put yourself in her designer shoes and see it this way: she just sat through a bunch of lousy auditions, they're finally about to go, and here comes another starry-eyed singing hopeful. Of course her fuse is gonna be short. But I'll get back to this style.
Next time we see piggy is as the wicked witch of the east, lifting up a trailer. This time her hair is in the stick straight unnaturally flat blonde form it has been the past few years. Which I personally despise, because it just isn't her at all. here comes the symbolism: this hairstyle has been killed with the witch of the east, right at the start of the movie. it's gone, hallelujah, as is the cardboard cutout miss piggy we've had for the past few years. You know, the one who almost never says "kissy kissy" and a lot of newer fans aren't fond of at all.
we are greeted by piggy the good witch of the north, whose hair is beautiful, long and flowing. It's reminicent of the way piggy's hair used to be, but it's whiter. symbolism: the old piggy is back- sort of. the company remembers her the way she used to be, and is starting toget re-aquainted. The north witch is so sugary-sweet it's scary- that's from the old vet's hospital skits. after all, she was a nurse. She had to be somewhat nice. And I can't help thinking of GMC, when one of the models fakes an injury- "Oh don't worry, Marla, I'll stay right here with you!" of course that was before she got a better offer. But still, it was there.
When we see piggy again, she is the wicked witch of the west. Curly black hair. Not the piggy we know, but in the opening of season 1 of TMS, she was shown with a brown wig. symbolism: there's two parts. one is that black hair is everything piggy is not, and it's melted along with her. the other is that, once again, they remember the REALLY old piggy. but she still dies, so they're not keeping her. they're just reminding us.
And finally, Piggy as the good witch of the south. She has the same hair as real-world piggy. it's short and curly, and it looks more natural than witch of east. This is the new piggy. The cruelty she had earlier with this hair is balanced very well by her current kindness. We can once again see miss piggy as being a beautiful pig, and not just a pig who sees herself as beautiful. and might I add that kermit doesn't seem to mind the new 'do at all...
I'm really hoping that this style of piggy's hair stays for at least a little bit. Of course I would prefer that it go back to the way it was on TMS, but this is very good. It allows for a personality, and something more than a cardboard cutout. It could be better, but it satisfies me.
For now, at least.

Oh, and by the way, I liked the rest of the movie, too. After watching it, my first thought was to watch it again. Then I realized I couldn't.

phantomfriar

Reaction score
I can't believe my DVR messed up for the first time since I've had it...aaarrrggghhh!! What a time for that to happen :frown:

Does anyone have a copy on DVD-R from the broadcast? I'd love to trade, please send me a PM or email at bbprare04@att.net

Thanks so much :smile:

HPDJ

Reaction score
Will there be an MC review soon? I'M A DESPERATE BRITISH PERSON TRYING TO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!