Your Thoughts: The Muppets' Wizard of Oz

What did you think of The Muppets' Wizard of Oz?

• Oz was great

Votes: 57 23.0%
  • Oz was good

Votes: 92 37.1%
  • Oz was disappointing

Votes: 64 25.8%
  • Oz was awful

Votes: 35 14.1%

• Total voters

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I must of missed the Swedish Chef cameo. When did it occur??......

Overall, I thought it was okay. It was a tad boring. However, seeing the original muppet cast on stage with Ashanti was good. I though Sam the Eagle sounded like the old Sam that Frank Oz performed way back when.

But there were things I didn't like. First of all, Rowlf. He was just there at the end. Nothing more, and didn't do anything. Why???? Just have him as a major character. What's going to happen if he did have a good amount of screen time?

Electric Mayhem were only there just to be there. No lines by Floyd or Janice or Zoot. Dr. Teeth only has a line, and Animal had a few and that was it. Those guys could have made several jokes about Piggy being the witches. Big, big opportunity lost there.

Ashanti. What can I say. She looks pretty, but can't act worth a darn. She should keep to singing. She has a great voice.

Jeffery Tambor was funny as the geeky wizard.

Overal, the movie was so so. It was more of a clunker.

2 out of 4 stars.

Jonathan

Reaction score
Jim Henson Courpes is doing backflips!!!! THAT WAS DEGRATING!!!!!! IT FUTURE MUPPET PROJECT DEPEND ON THAT WE ARE SCREWED!!!!!

Convincing John

Reaction score
Pretty good film!

Ah, yes. I absolutely loved the Frank Oz reference! I actually applauded Steve Whitmire at that point during the film. With as many of us who wanted Frank Oz to be connected with this film..."the wizard" granted our wish.

Makes me wonder...was Frank Oz watching the movie while we were, too?

They stayed true to the book in ways that the MGM film did not. The mentioning of different animals of the wicked witch (such as the wolves and the bees) were actually in the book. The same was true for the dismembering of the Scarecrow and Tin Woodman. Even the part about "bran new brains" was in the book. The original wizard in the book poured a measure of bran in the scarecrow's head, just like in the film we just saw. Even the reason why the Tin Woodman wanted a heart (in the book) had to do with a girlfriend. He wanted a heart so he could love again. Even the green glasses was originally in the book.

I loved the Dave Goelz cameo, loved the Frank Oz reference (can't get enough of that great great line), and even Piggy's witch appearances were cool, too. Eric Jacobsen is doing an excellent job with both Piggy and Fozzie.

Anyone know who was doing Sam? If I didn't know better...it sounded a LOT like Frank! Could there have been some kind of voiceover, perhaps?

Who was doing Scooter? Brian Henson? He sounds different from the VMX Scooter, and has a looooong way to go to sound like Richard's Scooter, but I was glad to see him in the movie.

Where I saw the movie, they had a little "PG" rating in the corner. Anyone else get this on their ABC stations? PG...hmmm...well, seeing Kermit's arms yanked off and Miss Piggy melting into oblivion may qualify for a PG rating.

The other cameos were pretty awesome...Dr. Teeth, Swedish Chef, Sweetums...and Crazy Harry! Jerry Nelson's retired...so I wonder who's doing Harry's voice?

All in all, an authentic, funny and Muppety film..."By any chance are you related to Frank Oz?"...man, oh man...(stands up and applauds Steve Whitmire again). I just can't get enough of that line...

Convincing John

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Convincing John said:
Jerry Nelson's retired...so I wonder who's doing Harry's voice?
I think so, becouse Cemella's "new" voice sound like a girl was doing her voice, or errr ah cluck! :stick_out_tongue: lol

turlem

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
I think so, becouse Cemella's "new" voice sound like a girl was doing her voice, or errr ah cluck! :stick_out_tongue: lol

Nelson retired? when?

IndgoMoose

Reaction score
Snappy lines do not make a good script

I was very eager to see this movie. The Muppets started their whole existence with singing and musical numbers is one of the things they do best. I was VERY disappointed that I had to wait so very long for a song. I loved the West Witch song, though.
There were some funny lines, but overall I was not satisfied with the script. The Wicked Witch was poorly introduced. The Munchins moments went by far too quickly.
I would have rathered the Muppets followed the original Wizard of Oz script more closely, for the sake of good storytelling if nothing else.

Tim Kelly

Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't even think I was going to watch it, but I sat through the whole special and it did entertain me. They did a really nice job with the overall look of it and jam-packing it with lots of Muppet characters. I think my favorite aspect of it was seeing Scooter again (was that Richard's brother performing him?). And the Electric Mayhem, although it would have been a lot nicer if they'd all spoken (great seeing Janice again, though!).

dwayne1115

Reaction score
i really dont think they could have done that. I also want to say that i think the mix of Muppets was ok, i think some of the old main stream muppets could have Spoke DR.Theeth Floyd and Rowlf. :sympathy:

jediX

Reaction score
The only reason I'm not disappointed is that I wasn't expecting anything better than Kermit's Swamp Years. Sadly, this made me appreciate that.:eek:

But hey, at least we didn't have to pay to watch this. That's about as 'optimistic' as I can be.