Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I liked this movie, I'd say it's better than Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppets From Space, but not quite as good as the Muppet Movie.

Some things: as popular as Gonzo and Rizzo were in the 90's, I kinda wish they'd had more screen time. (Was Rizzo in the movie at all? I saw some Muppet Rats, but they weren't onscreen long enough to tell if any of them was Rizzo.) Ditto for Pepe. Though it's nice that he did get some screen time.

The music and the song-and-dance numbers were very Flight Of The Conchords-y, though that's not too surprising given James Bobin and Bret McKenzie's involvement. I kinda wish Bret and/or Jemaine Clement had had cameos in the film. But hey, if they do a Muppet Show revival, maybe they can have Flight Of The Conchords as the guest(s).

As for Kermit and Piggy, I think the specifics of what happened to Kermit and Piggy were left ambiguous on purpose. It's a common thing in movies. Consider Indy and Marion in Raiders Of The Lost Ark. We don't know exactly why they split up prior to the movie. It's hinted at but never explicitly said. Or in Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan. We know that Kirk had a relationship with Carol Marcus that resulted in the conception of her son David, and the Kirk stayed away from him and her at her request, but we're never told exactly why they split up. In the end, it doesn't really matter. It's called leaving things to the audience's imaginations.
Rizzo was in the movie. He's in the crowd and with Beau and some other rats at the end. He has no lines though :frown: I wanted him to have more lines.
Also Robin, Pops and some other Muppets that I love were also gone. No idea where they went. I'm glad that they touched the Kermit and Miss Piggy relationship that they are ACTUALLY married.
But in interviews Kermit says they are not married.... I'm very confused:confused:

beaker

Reaction score
Kermit and Piggy are not married, only in TMTM. People forget that the only real canon or continuity is when Muppets give interviews on tv or print. They're all just actors, and each movie is kind of it's own separate canon. Even the new movie is a separate canon, as it pretends the TMS show went into the mid 80's and then they didnt do anything past that.

I think they should have a big real life wedding for Kermit and Piggy tho on tv next year:smile:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Even the new movie is a separate canon, as it pretends the TMS show went into the mid 80's and then they didnt do anything past that.

I think they should have a big real life wedding for Kermit and Piggy tho on tv next year:smile:
That's not true! Becuase there are TMTM refrences, so it exists in this movie

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Regarding why Kermit and Piggy split up, in The Movie Junior Novel, there's a flashback to the wedding, with Kermit saying "I thought Gonzo was going to play the priest" (yeah, in MTM he says "minister"). Then, a few weeks later, Miss Piggy tells Kermit that she's gotten them a home, to which Kermit reminds her that their wedding was just a movie, until it hits him why Gonzo didn't play the priest, then yellign at Piggy about what she did and saying that he'd never be her frog, but then when he apologizes Piggy realizes that Kermit was right and leaves. And it's said that after this break-up Kermit tried to find work for the others, but was too depressed and they went their seperate ways.

I think one of the early reader books says that the break-up was due to Kermit being too busy running things to be around Miss Piggy.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Somebody mentioned that Jerry was the telethon announcer. I'll have to look for that next time I see it.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Regarding why Kermit and Piggy split up, in The Movie Junior Novel, there's a flashback to the wedding, with Kermit saying "I thought Gonzo was going to play the priest" (yeah, in MTM he says "minister"). Then, a few weeks later, Miss Piggy tells Kermit that she's gotten them a home, to which Kermit reminds her that their wedding was just a movie, until it hits him why Gonzo didn't play the priest, then yellign at Piggy about what she did and saying that he'd never be her frog, but then when he apologizes Piggy realizes that Kermit was right and leaves. And it's said that after this break-up Kermit tried to find work for the others, but was too depressed and they went their seperate ways.

I think one of the early reader books says that the break-up was due to Kermit being too busy running things to be around Miss Piggy.
Why aren't these scenes in the movie? I'm hearing about some great scenes that were cut from the movie =, my only question is... WHY??

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Somebody mentioned that Jerry was the telethon announcer. I'll have to look for that next time I see it.
Do you know who those two guys wre by the end by the celeberty Mahna Mhanas there were these two guys pulling the noses of the Snowths and I couldn't figure out who it was.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Why aren't these scenes in the movie? I'm hearing about some great scenes that were cut from the movie =, my only question is... WHY??
I hope we find out when the DVD comes out. Though there was a receent interview with James Bobin where he said that most of the deleted scenes were cut for time (with so many plot points cut, I wonder how many acts from the telethon were cut. It seems those would be easier to cut out, though I'm glad we got so many telethon acts).

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I hope we find out when the DVD comes out. Though there was a receent interview with James Bobin where he said that most of the deleted scenes were cut for time (with so many plot points cut, I wonder how many acts from the telethon were cut. It seems those would be easier to cut out, though I'm glad we got so many telethon acts).
I hope they have an extended version when it comes out on DVD.