Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Drtooth

Reaction score
Surprised not too many people have mentioned 80's robot. LOVED HIM.
Oh yeah, I LOVED 80's Robot...totally Grody to the Max!
I really didn't expect to see where he was placed in the movie. Sort of a snarky little reference to the weird robot butlers that kept popping up in 1980's movies (like Rocky 4... seriously, what was up with that?). It really drives in the point that Kermit and Piggy bought that place in better days in the 1980's when they were happy together, and he's been sadly waiting for her to come back with everything left in tact. I think that worked better than just having him be rich and live in a mansion... the fact that he almost did, but only because he was thinking of other things with Piggy at the time.

Again... this movie was from the masterminds of Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Knocked up. REAL movies about love, and not that Bridgette Jonesy garbage. The Kermit/Piggy relationship hasn't been that smartly written since MTM.

Walter

Reaction score
This movie was so worth the wait! My showing in Daytona Beach was packed with people, both young and the young at heart. I thought they handled the characters very well, and I even got very emotional at some parts! One of the parts that hit the biggest chord with me was when Walter is with Gary on Halloween, and the other kids laughed at him for dressing up as Kermit(You're my hero.. your on my watch). I also got a little chocked up when everyone held hands and walked on stage for the big rainbow connection scene. As an Uncle Deadly fan, his little speech at the end made me smile and think "2011..2011..This is all REALLY happening..." I've dreamed about something like this happening, and when I was sitting in the theatre watching it all unfold, I was like, This is REAL. This is NOW. Those kids laughing and smiling, and those fans smiling ear to ear, are all REAL.. Thank you Jason Segel, James Bobin, Steve Whitmire, Eric Jacobson, Dave Goelz, Peter Linz, and all the muppeteers and actors and actresses and editors and writers and Disney for making this movie come alive.

Corinna

Reaction score
I am a Muppets fan from way back in the day when I was a kid...We saw the new movie this weekend and had a ball...left all the kids at home and went with a group of adults...Animal was my nickname in HS and he is my favorite character by far, but you have to love Kermit and the rest of the gang! Pepe shouldve gotten a little more screen time as he is hysterical, but I thought the movie was great! The entire movie theatre was singing The Rainbow Connection along with the characters from the movie...how cool is that. Muppets Rule! I will always be a fan! :halo:

wiley207

Reaction score
I just saw it with my brother and a couple of friends. It was AWESOME! I loved all the references to the classic Muppet movies. It was basically a good old-fashioned musical Muppet film. I especially loved Walter's nonstop screaming bit, the 80s robot's loud modem, Gonzo's self-destructing toilet factory (complete with an "expensive explosion!"), the whole Muppet Man bit, the kidnapped Jack Black, and some more I'm trying to remember! I think my brother laughed the most at scenes involving Beaker. And it was a thrill to hear the audience around us laughing and applauding at the Muppets in a movie!
I was surprised how it mostly starred "classic" Muppets. No Johnny Fiama or Clifford. But at least they managed to give Pepe the King Prawn a surprise cameo appearance! I also loved seeing Thog and the Beautiful Day (sorry, EAS test just came on) Monster making return appearances.
I thought Walter was actually pretty cool. Nice to see Peter Linz getting a major movie role like that (I've always liked his work as Theo in "Between the Lions.")

zoebell

Reaction score
i LOVED it! it was so great, put a smile on your face the whole time.

as a big piggy/kermit fan, i esp loved how they put it on kermit for once to be the one who has to tell piggy he loves her and wants her before she just drops everything for him as usual

i think that shows how well the writers knew the character's histories. because it was established a long time ago that it actually wasn't a totally one-sided crush. if not on the muppet show, then at least as early as the miss piggy special from 1982. that's canon, it can't be dismissed as them "acting" in a movie. they had their big fight and he was jealous, and then started "glowing" when she sang to him, so it's been at least since then that we know for SURE that he loves her back (even though the movies do show it, kermit could still technically use the "acting" as an excuse not to commit)

once we knew that he does love her though, it becomes too unfair to have her constantly devote herself to him without him ever having to show his appreciation in return and tell her how he really feels. so i like how they did that in this, had kermit expressly tell her he wants her to stay with him, it was so sweet. and long overdue

and it was because of that that this one felt like it had more to do with their "real" history than being just a movie. i think that's why steve whitmire has kermit in interviews now freely admitting that he and piggy are a couple, etc. this movie establishes their relationship too clearly on kermit's side for him to deny/ignore it completely anymore in real life, esp with all the references to the muppet show and all. the other movies never referenced TMS, and that's always been what's considered to be their "real" selves, along with their press appearances and stuff. so this one blurs the line a little more by bringing in their actual history

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I just got back from the movie now. I don't have too much time to type or to read the other posts now. I will say that it was a great movie overall. I liked the references to the first movie. Good thing Sweetums caught up with the gang on time this time around. I'll have to posts more of my thoughts later on.

Nick22

Reaction score
I went and saw it on Saturday when my family and me were outta town for Thanksgiving. I totally loved it. Like, a lot.

This movie was full of so much Muppety goodness I can't even stand it! The Kermit and Piggy romance was unbelievably well written and acted OH MY FROG. Their walk through Paris was one of my favorite parts of the entire movie. :flirt: Also, Piggy looked absolutely FABULOUS (doesn't she always?) in this movie. She was extra gorgeous and I loved it.

Another thing that made me extremely happy was getting to see basically all of the classic Muppets. Even Wayne and Wanda! I rully liked the scene where Piggy, Chef, Lew, and other that I forgot (GAH) kidnapped Jack Black. It was awesome to see the Swedish Chef and Lew get a bigger part. AND UNCLE DEADLY WAS AMAZING NUFF SAID K BYE.

I also rully liked Walter. I think he fits in perfectly as a Muppet and I honestly hope he lasts for more than just this movie. "Am I A Muppet Or A Man?" was one of my favorite songs, as well as "Rainbow Connection" (OF COURSE). I'm so glad they sang "Rainbow Connection." There was also a ton of references to the classic Muppet movies, which I thought was rully great.

Tex Richman + Uncle Deadly + Bobo = YUS

Overall, I am extremely happy with the movie. So, they could've done more with it, but COME ON. The Muppets are back on the big screen. And from what I've heard, the movie is pretty popular. So I'm excited to see what else comes from the Muppets in the next couple year.

YAY MUPPETS K COOL BYE. :smile:

muppetlover123

Reaction score
Another thing that made me extremely happy was getting to see basically all of the classic Muppets. Even Wayne and Wanda! I rully liked the scene where Piggy, Chef, Lew, and other that I forgot (GAH) kidnapped Jack Black. It was awesome to see the Swedish Chef and Lew get a bigger part. AND UNCLE DEADLY WAS AMAZING NUFF SAID K BYE..
it was gonzo

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I'm with the people who liked all the Piggy Kermit stuff in it (though I still think they got married in MTM). But I always like the parts of the movies where they talk about their relationship because it shows that it's more than a high emotion slapstick plot excuse.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I just saw it a second time, and have a few more thoughts...

Walter's talent wasn't quite as out-of-left-field as I thought. He also whistled when he was helping fix up the theater. And I should have twigged when I saw that the puppet was built to purse his lips. Yeah, I think that way. Did anyone else think about autotune when Walter started whistle-trilling?

This time I noticed Uncle Deadly's arc. He's used to being a villain, but you could tell he was being pushed closer and closer to the line. When Richman went too far, Deadly simply turned his villainous tendencies on him.

Have Bobo's ears always been mobile? I think I saw them twitch in an early scene with Richman.

In the ninja scene I could make out a few of the kanji, and Jack Black was "Kuro Sensei" - "Black Master." As in the color. (Final Fantasy fans, "Black Mage" is, in Japanese, "Kuromadoushi" - "Black Sorcerer.") And, yes, in the ninja scene the Swedish Chef does crotch-wallop Jack Black with a rolling pin. Yipes.