Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Mary, Mary, quite necessary
I can't think of any actress better suited to play in a muppet movie than Amy Adams. She's in lots of movies because she's good--not because she's not picky. That said, I think she had a difficult role to carry off, and that she did it with grace and aplomb. She is--for all practical purposes--the lone voice of reason for most of the movie. She's not UN-optimistic, but she is realistic, and it is tough to be the sensible one in the midst of chaos. No one much appreciates you. I liked very much that she ultimately, much like Piggy, does whatever is necessary to support her man and her dream--even if that doesn't work toward her own personal dream.
Interesting point: Piggy does everything necessary to support Kermit's dream (their shared dream for the theater and the group) even when she doesn't see a future for her and Kermit. Piggy might not have specified when she was going back to Paris, but she did buy a return ticket. Kermit, on the other hand, is willing to sacrifice the needs of the group (they need Piggy to return and help them) if it means he will have to make a personal commitment. Piggy has been much-abused of late (I couldn't even listen to The Christmas Queen t0day, it was so embarrassing), and she really shines here as the talented and even noble character that she is.
The Secret Life of Walter
Muppet Central is full of fans who dream desperately of running away to join up with their favorite performers. We have tons of puppeteers who dream of one day being a muppeteer--and plenty of muppeteers who jump in here from time to time. We have would-be actors, writers, artists and musicians. One of the reasons that Walter soooo resonates with us--with us muppet fans--is that he represents all the possibility that the dreams we have just might come true, if we believe in them. Walter has to choose what some of us hope to choose--am I going to get in? Will I make it? The answer for Walter is a resounding "yes," and that's a muppety moment if I ever saw one. Jim would have loved that because it was the sort of thing he always encouraged--do your absolute, craziest best--and then top it. Kermit needed the kick in the pants that someone like Walter provided--the will to believe that we can write our own ending if we believe.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Okay, so I was finally able to see the movie tonight! My thoughts? I loved it, was so very blown away by how great it is. It's funny; people who know me IRL now have no idea how huge a muppet fan I am and don't quite seem to get my enthusiasm. And I'm not sure they will even now because I can't articulate everything that was great about this movie.

A few scattered thoughts:
  • Holy moly, Scooter blew me away. I just noticed randomly at one point that Scooter was pretty much a full character and how it's been so long since this has been true, but the performance was so amazing that I didn't even twig on right away.
  • Piggy's wigs. A.May.Za.Zing. She changed her hair so many times and they all looked good; now no matter what style you like best on her, you get to see it in this movie! For me it's a tie between the Farrah Fawcett style when she first enters the theatre, or the straight one she wears at the end of the movie.
  • Walter is a surprisingly fun character; reminds me of a certain ascended fanboy we know and love in real life! :wink: To be honest I didn't really like the look of his puppet in the posters but he looks much better and more muppety in real time.

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
We all left the theater talking about our fann-ness and wishing everyone a great holiday- something I think all the people that worked hard on this film really wanted.

I was also talking to a sales clerk at a department store while I was doing holiday shopping- she saw my Muppet attire and asked me if I saw the new movie and what I thought about it. I told her it was a great, fun film that will leave her grinning from ear to ear by the end- She told me that she grew up with the Muppets and couldn't wait to see the movie- It's moments like these that really make me feel special that I am a Muppet fan and I love it when I get to share the feeling of how great the Muppets make me feel with others- one of the best feelings in the world.
You make an excellent point and one you probably put into words better than I will. But you're right, this is really my favorite part of the movie - being a part of the "general population" becoming Muppet fans again. I get so excited seeing friends and family post about it on Facebook, hearing laughter and oohs and awwww's during the movie, or overhearing comments at the theater about their favorite Muppet or favorite song. It just warms my heart to hear people share in my Muppet love.

I mean that is what we (Muppet fans) have been hoping for, for years, isn't it? That others would finally "get" what it is we love about the Muppets? That they wouldn't just think of the Muppets as some relic or has-been. They may not get it on the same scale as us, but they may go out and buy a t-shirt or search ebay for their long lost Fisher Price Kermit. And I'm ok with that.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
I just got home from seeing again.( 5th for those keeping track) only this time i was asked by my friend who worked at the movies theater to bring along my Replica Kermit Puppet....it was great, both the movie and the experience..i got to hang out around the theater seeing the kids and adults face begin to glow as soon as they saw the frog, i even brought a special lady friend and got to spend time with her and at one point she began ignoring me and talking to Kermit like he was alive

but my fave memory of the night has to be the only child who saw Kermit didnt say a word just slowly yet firmly walked up to him and gave him a hug..that was a tear jerker

beaker

Reaction score
Surprised not too many people have mentioned 80's robot. LOVED HIM.
Oh yeah, I LOVED 80's Robot...totally Grody to the Max!

Also Ive warmed up to "travel by map"...so many people I know are now using that expression

Can you imagine all the t shirt and internet meme/inside joke potential here?

*maniacal laugh*
innnn controlll
80's robot shirts
"travel by map"

it's endless!

I mean that is what we (Muppet fans) have been hoping for, for years, isn't it? That others would finally "get" what it is we love about the Muppets? That they wouldn't just think of the Muppets as some relic or has-been. They may not get it on the same scale as us, but they may go out and buy a t-shirt or search ebay for their long lost Fisher Price Kermit. And I'm ok with that.
No matter how much money it does or doesnt make, it's a true testament to the real power of the movie...brightening people's days, lifting spirits and just all around making people feel that fun magic again. This truly has a large groundswell going and buzz that I rarely see in a family/kids movie. And I'd think that even if I had no idea who the Muppets were.

beaker

Reaction score
I hope this stays in theaters a long time, as I so would love to find a girl(hopefully date) to go with who'd be totally geeking out throughout the whole film.

Taylor

Reaction score
I just saw the movie tonight for the first time. It was awesome. It was much better than I was expecting. felt like the classic days of the muppets.

After the movie ended I turned to my father (who is 66) and asked him if he liked the film. He promptly responded "Manamana". It was a great moment.

Couldn't be happier with the direction Disney is going with the muppets.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I was asked by my friend who worked at the movies theater to bring along my Replica Kermit Puppet....it was great, both the movie and the experience..i got to hang out around the theater seeing the kids and adults face begin to glow as soon as the saw the frog... my fave memory of the night has to be the only child who saw Kermit didnt say a word just slowly yet firmly walked up to him and gave him a hug..that was a tear jerker
That is so friggin awesome man. Got me a little misty just thinking about it! :big_grin:

JEANYLASER

Reaction score
Tomorrow I can't wait to see it! And I hope The Muppets make another movie