1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Nov 22, 2011.

1. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

----------------------
    Saw the midnight show here last night. WOW. I agree with much of what folks here have already posted so I won't belabor the excellent points they've already brought up about the wonderfully REAL frog/pig romance, the perfectly Muppety songs, the old-school feel, the humans not detracting from the story, and what a great addition Walter is!

However, having sat down today to read the Jr novel...I am bewailing the edits. MANY WONDERFUL SCENES WERE CUT! WHY??? We've seen these hinted at in the trailers: the big frog/pig afterwedding blowup...the Muppets staging a fake awards show and winding up in jail...I mean this stuff is vintage Muppety style! BRAVO to Jason Segal and the writers and everyone who worked on this...but WHY oh WHY was so much cut? Time constraints? Folks, I sat through no less than 8 previews before this film actually ran last night! I hope like firey froggy heck that ALL the scenes which WERE filmed but cut from the final edit wind up in a dvd "extended version" (a la LOTR) so we can revel in the backstories and good jokes which inexplicably some marketing moron thought needed to be scrapped!

:) BUT, that said, this is a WONDERFUL film. The crowd I saw it with was small...barely 20 people...but I heard EVERYONE (along with me) quietly singing "Rainbow Connection"! And big laughs for Rowlf's line about his being skipped in the montage, and Sheldon's PERFECT cameo, and Jack Black begging the sparse audience to help him, and Kermit's wonderfully building-up-to-an-indignant-frenzy lines about KIDNAPPING! Loved the Piggy/Kermit stuff. Loved Uncle Deadly. SO wanted to howl in protest of Wayne and Wanda's kiss, but restrained myself...in...con...trol...

And Newsie! Actual LINES, even if they were silly ones! Good for him! :news:

Loved ALL the songs, even the bits like "I've Had the Time of My Life" playing in the background of Piggy & Pepe's rehearsal. Hilarious! "Me Party"'s abundant '80s references cracked me up...and "Man or Muppet" really hit home for me, silly though that sounds. Like Walter, I've been looking for a place to belong all my life. I think a lot of us here are Walters...what a great character!

So yes. Bravo all involved! Now...make it LONGER!!!!

Back later. I have to go practice my maniacal laugh.
    ---------------------------
  2. jacobsnchz

jacobsnchz Active Member

Um... I'd honestly tell you, but it's better as a surprise!! Our audience was rolling!! It was the best and so random!
    Cindy likes this.
  3. Bannanasketch

Bannanasketch Active Member

Jim Parsons. He plays Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory.
  4. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

No I've seen the movie already, I just don't know who it is!
    I actually thought it was hilarious seeing that. That song also was great!
  5. Muppet fan 123

Oh! That's where I know him from. Thanks!
    Also the kid from the show Community was on it. I don't know his name but he was that guy who opens the door on Kermit.
  6. Muppet fan 123

I think "Muppet" is my trigger word
    DramaQueenMokey and jacobsnchz like this.
  7. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

Yeah me too, there was so many tear jerker moments in the movie. My eyes was defiantly watering at that scene "pictures in my head" and the ending scene as well. Plus also movies in general when there's a sort of happy sad scene, that's when the violin music happens and that always makes my eyes water. LOL
  8. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

If important plot points were cut, I wonder if many of the acts in the telethon were cut. I would have thought it'd be easier to cut those as they likely wouldn't have much importance to the plot.

When I read the junior novel and saw the flashback to the wedding, I had wondered if it would have been reshot or if it was an actual clip. If it's an actual clip, I wonder if they had trouble getting rights from Sony (or if they wanted to avoid clips showing Sesame Street characters, even in the background). And without that, I wonder if the rest of the flashback would have made sense.

Was Uncle Deadly's past association with the Muppets addressed in the movie? It's never mentioned in the junior novel, and when Walter first sees him (hiding when he learns of Tex Richman's plans) he doesn't seem to recognize him as a Muppet. Ditto with Bobo.

I think I'm going to see this movie with my family tomorrow night.
  9. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

Not sure if anyone else will mention this, but I got choked up right off the bat when you see Walter playing as a kid, then having to realize he's different, and then discovering the Muppets. I'm sure all of us can relate to that.
  10. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

That's the way they do motion capturing.
  11. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

Yes. It HAS been filmed, and bits appear in some of the trailers, though I'd have to go look at them all again to tell you which ones...there's a scene where you see flashbulbs going off in Kermit & Piggy's faces which is obviously the bit from the afterwedding fiasco mentioned in the book but which was cut from the film! HEAR HEAR let all deleted scenes be restored!!
    ----------------------------
    Muppetfan44 and DramaQueenMokey like this.
  12. Bannanasketch

Bannanasketch Active Member

Nope, that's actually from the end during the credits when Piggy wants to get photos with Kermit by the papparazi.
  13. Alvin

Alvin Active Member

Saw it today...and oh my goodness...I could see this movie again and again and again...LOVED IT! Took my own puppets to the theater, and made some kiddos pretty happy. They wanted pictures with my puppets! LOL! BUT back to the movie...AWESOME...THANK YOU JASON SEGAL!!!
    Cindy likes this.
  14. 12Medbe

12Medbe Active Member

It was so wonderful! must make a slight note that I loved the first try of the Muppet Show intro, pure mayhem! Uncle Deadly reedeemed himself at the end of the movie. I noticed two great things in theater, during Rainbow Connection, as it got to "Someday you'll find it" Everyone actually joined in, same for the "Life's a Happy Song" finale!

It was so wonderful, many great references, even a "sort of" recreation of Sweetums car chasing from The Muppet Movie! I like that the Hobo in the audience sang "Why don't you get things started!" there wasn't many in the audience to start with. Me Party I felt had a good setup, I liked it. Everything was pure magic, Jason Segel sure has captured Jim Henson's vision. We must thank him in person!

Cried a little during "Pictures in My Head" and "Man or Muppet". I lost it at the end though with the fans cheering for the Muppets as they started walking out of the theater, They took up SOOOO many blocks, and you couldn't help but cry when Walter was fully iniated as a Muppet!

Muppet Fans, we have a successful movie on our hands! This is the gateway to the biggest comeback since, I don't think I have anything to compare to!!!! Muppets From Space who?
  15. LinkiePie<3

LinkiePie<3 Well-Known Member

I'm wearing a genuine smile, because...

I'm falling in love again. The Muppets touched my heart, I'm literally dehydrated... but am okay now. lol. It was like a returning love letter tous devoted fans. <3

Meh. IT WAS AMAZING! I WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN! :)

All of my old favorites chars are back; Link. *sigh*

I wanted to cry during Rainbow Connection... it was so sentimentally sweet. The whole ol' gang is back. They are. <3
    LinkLady77 and DramaQueenMokey like this.
  16. 12Medbe

12Medbe Active Member

Just about lost it when the Muppets were joining hands before going on stage!
    mupcollector1 and LinkiePie<3 like this.
  17. LinkiePie<3

LinkiePie<3 Well-Known Member

YES!!!!! ;_____; <3333
  18. 12Medbe

12Medbe Active Member

I REALLY loved the mayhem during the first attempt of the Muppet Show Intro, Sweetums coming in WAYYYY too early, Muppets going to the wrong arches. It was the classical mayhem we're all used to see on The Muppet Show.
  19. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Thog being unable to get through the center arch, heh heh. The lack of a drummer to set the pace really messed 'em up. It made it all the more wonderful when Animal came back to his drums at the end of "The Rainbow Connection."

When I saw them linking hands, it touched me a little. It was such a showbiz-family thing. They're all falling right into the groove again, y'know?

Newsmanfan, I thought of you when the Newsman started his reports on the telethon. I knew you'd be grinning when you saw those. I also thought of Ruahnna when I saw the Kermit-Piggy bits.
    newsmanfan likes this.
  20. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

3 places I almost cried were:

-The Muppet Show intro and for the telethon ( I was like lets get this party started!)
    -All the muppets joining hands and going out to sing "The Rainbow Connection"
    -The crowd at the end cheering for Kermit and company