The Muppets Episode 2 - Hostile Makeover

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Hostile Makeover"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
It was nice to see Piggy be nice to everyone for a change.
I fully agree.

Let's hope that we'll get to see more of Piggy's nicer sides (which she did show at least sometimes in the old days) in future episodes, with her being nicer to the other Muppets, regarding them as her friends and family, etc.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What do you mean????????All the Muppet movies are good
Oh, I can think of one exception.... :stick_out_tongue:

Anyway...

While the Piggy being a diva and nasty is an overused character archetype, I think they're at least putting it to good use here. It stems from psychological problems, as does Kermit's nervousness and stress eating. The break up shook the characters up and we're seeing the results. It's killing them. And the staff. Piggy only being happy because she was in a relationship? There's great angles there. Kermit thinking he was okay with everything under said relationship and wanting to call things off (even under the guise of restoring the pre-Groban Piggy version of the show) really gives some punch to the tired "will they or won't they" that's been going on since the 70's (and took a break in the 80's).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think we all love it when the Muppets are edgy. We just don't all agree with the execution on this particular show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's too much character ownership on the part of some fans. I don't get the "Muppets were never supposed to be for kids, but Frog help them if they aren't kid friendly" paradox here.

By all means, a lesser show would just be a constant barrage of lame and obvious jokes stretched to the point of once shocking now redundant when everyone's desensitized. Something like a Robot Chicken skit. I'd even say something to the extent of Greg the Bunny, which I enjoyed, but now just seems like the same standard collection of stock adult jokes. While the show isn't extremely subtle, it's not the kind of immature adult "adult" programming you'd see out of some of the bad half of adult swim shows or that awful High School USA program.

The issues I find eye rolling are simple.

Jokes about the Mayhem being stoned. Yeah, that could easily turn into the same Otto from the Simpsons situation I mentioned earlier. OR, it could be that jazz musicians and pot have been a thing since the 30's. I SEVERELY doubt we're going to see Dr. Teeth and Zoot toking in any future episodes. My only issue with the joke is that the writers couldn't find a smoother way to work it into the script when they did it effortlessly in the prepilot. As long as it stays as an aside (which I doubt it would become more than that), I'm fine with it. Just no Flanderization.

Fozzie taking a souvenir. I find this the biggest overreaction. This is basically an innocent, down on his luck comedian that gets little respect and kinda picks up on it. What he did is a more innocent version of what a Seinfeld character would do (knowing Seinfeld, it would be George and he would have been out of spite). To me, it wasn't so much he did a bad thing as much as he did an impulsive thing and spent the rest of the episode twisting in the wind with about, only to make the same dumb mistake when he didn't get caught. Heck, he stole the same thing Jay stole from Carlin!

Zoot drawing something adult in an adult's birthday card. I'll agree, it was kinda awkward a joke to make, but the jokes more of a "we're all adults here, and who hasn't got a card with something lewd in it as an adult?" sort of way. Because that's the thing we need to remember. The characters are supposed to be adults. Adults in the entertainment industry. Even ones that work on kid's shows need to ..vent. Remember that New Zoo Revue "outtake?"

And above all...are we still really bugging out about Kermit and Piggy's relationship? They've found a nice angle that's not the repetitive fat joke/hai yah nor is it the "they were married off in MTM! End of story" blandness of a conflict free mutual relationship. And what it speaks is the language of nuance. They hide their true feelings from each other, Piggy acts out and lashes out at others, Kermit's clearly depressed, not comfortable as he thinks he is and suffers some PTSD from her freakouts. But make no mistake, the relationship is a key for conflict and plot points. If nothing else, seeing this spread out over the course of the series gives that continuity edge that past Muppet projects didn't.

drteethcool

Reaction score
Anyone else worried that they are going to cancel this show.
I hope not it is a good show.
Do you think that they are working on other Muppet projects along with this show ?
just wondering :big_grin::sing::flirt::cool::halo:.

ploobis

Reaction score
The ratings so far are still good, so I have faith in the show being renewed for a 2nd season next year!

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
dr. tooth I an assure you I am an adult and I haven't EVER something so immature drawn on any cards to me and the whole "we are adults" thing is a silly excuse when a lot of the jokes sound like something 12 year old boys would say and do to be "edgy". There's a different in being an adult and being an adult.

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
dr. tooth I an assure you I am an adult and I haven't EVER something so immature drawn on any cards to me and the whole "we are adults" thing is a silly excuse when a lot of the jokes sound like something 12 year old boys would say and do to be "edgy". There's a different in being an adult and being an adult.
He isn't talking about every adult in the world.