Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Season 3

Erine81981

Reaction score
I'll be heading to Hastings to get the season set. Si can't wait to see it and be able to hold it. Can't wait to buy it.

DTWolf

Reaction score
I got the box set this morning (fuzzy cover--yay!) and watched the first episode at lunchtime and "Muppets on Puppets" tonight.

Then I read through this thread and noticed someone saying the bonus features had subtitles. Remembering that Phillip Chapman's review stated that the full audio of "M. on P." does exist, I thought, "Ah-hah! Could it be?" (or something like that).

Alas, no. I went back and looked at the silent parts of "M. on P." with subtitles on, and all it says is "[no audio]" and "[audio drops out]." I guess it was silly to think Disney would ignore the audio on other copies of the special but then make the effort to subtitle the script for the missing segments. Ah, well, that hope didn't last long.

ploobis

Reaction score
After seeing the Merisa Berenson episode (for the first time) I gotta say that I LOVE the song by Robin in the UK bit! It was SO BEAUTIFUL!

Robin AKA Jerry Nelson has a beautiful singing voice!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This release has all of the uncut season three episodes so that gives it a perfect score in my book.

However, I was a little disappointed in the packaging design and art. The person involved in this has minimal Photoshop skills at best. It's not horrible, just C- grade work. The other releases were much more attractive looking.

The special features are very light. The Muppets on Puppets special is cool. The Company of Players is kind of strange because much of it is lifted from other better documentaries. The brief Purina ads are a delight. I miss Baskerville.

I still think there's something missing. Not the morsels though. I will leave that to others to miss that season one inclusion. The subtitles included songs this time so that makes me happy. The price point at Virgin was just over $30 so that's good.

The menus are pretty. I like that the backdrop is different again, but I'm kind of tired of the Kermit/Piggy dynamic. Even as a fan I now find it tedious and overdone. Give me more Fozzie and Kermit, or even Bunsen and Beaker. I know they have Rowlf, Scooter and the Mayhem puppets built and handy so why not do something with them? I know the frog and pig are a good draw for non-fans, but they would have already purchased their copy by the time they view the menus so this is where fan satisfaction comes in. Heck even Steve performing Rizzo and Eric doing Sam the Eagle would have been better.

But enough of this complaining. It's attractive enough and the episodes of Muppety goodness are all there. Happy frogboy. :smile:

ploobis

Reaction score
Those Puria Dog Chow commercials were AWESOME!

It also would have been nice to see more interviews from the Company of Players feature. Maybe they'll show more for the future seasons 4 and 5 sets. :wink:

I like the music that plays in the Bonus Feature disc menue. I always loved that little instrumental by :sympathy: & :cool: from the Gilda Radner episode.

Muppet Loverr

Reaction score
I love the Miss Piggy Menus! It was soo wonderful! But I am upset about the the civer art, with the felt over it, It looks uglyish...

Convincing John

Reaction score
Gotta go get mine yet. I ordered it, and I got a call saying it's in (yay)! But I'm stuck at work (grumble)...

Anyway, yeah, the Harry Belafonte one is one of my favorites, right up there with Gilda Radner.

Something that some fans might not know is Zoot's closing note from the original airing of Harry Belafonte's episode. It was played by one of the African masks. (The one on the far right) It ain't on the DVD I'm sure (cause of the ITC logo) but it's just something I remembered.

Looking forward to much Muppety goodness with those DVDs...and as I type this, my programmed VCR is humming away back home, taping Kermit and Fozzie on the View. This is a good day!

Convincing John

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I have to agree I think the Cover was kind of ugly. What really made me upset was the little photoshop job they did where all the Muppets where siting in the Theater seats. Can't they at least take some new still pic of the Muppets. A Compony of Players could have been longer but the interviews it had was alright. Muppets on Puppets was very cool! I thought Jim Did a wonderful job, and to have him talking to Rowlf and Kermit and Rowlf talking to each other was just wonderfull.

The shows themselfs I'm almost through the first two disks and I really think that this season is the best one yet. The Muppets by themselfs and the Muppets with the gust stars just really seem to click. So far my favorit ones are Jean Staploton, her final number with Crazy Harry. The Roy Clark one had me laughing from the very begginging Alice Cooper was the freakest Muppet show i have ever seen. I loved Kermit line though about Julie Andwers. Finaly Wow Loreta Lyenns show was very very cool. I love the idea of doing the show at the train staion, very cool.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
I agree about the cover art - kind of a strange un-fozzylike color. Maybe we should all doctor him up like the master replicas gonzo. Speaking of gonzo - I sure hope he's on the next cover!

I had some folks over to watch a couple of episodes (Raquel Welch & the giant spider being my fave) and a lot of them, surprisingly, had never seen the show before. Later in the night they openly exclaimed "What an amazing weird and dark show..." To which I thought to myself that is what i've been saying on MC for months now!

Da Dogster

Reaction score
Season 3

I have now got Season 3 for my fathers day gift and here is my thoughts on this set. I am watching it right now and it is in great quality but once again the set dose not have Muppet info on it. the Muppets on Puppets was the first time i had seen it in a long time, even thought it had some audio drops it was really at it's best. And about Company of Players, it had some clips from Of Muppets And Men but i would love to see some more info on the rest of the cast.

here is a sugestion for season 4 a tribute to the muppet masters, like Richard Hunt, and Jim Henson and others.

plus some clips of Sam and Friends and other muppet comercials.

and to go with the final season The Very Best Of The Muppets: songs from The muppet show would also be great to release.