1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Season 3

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, May 14, 2008.

1. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I'll be heading to Hastings to get the season set. Si can't wait to see it and be able to hold it. Can't wait to buy it.
  2. DTWolf

DTWolf Member

I got the box set this morning (fuzzy cover--yay!) and watched the first episode at lunchtime and "Muppets on Puppets" tonight.

Then I read through this thread and noticed someone saying the bonus features had subtitles. Remembering that Phillip Chapman's review stated that the full audio of "M. on P." does exist, I thought, "Ah-hah! Could it be?" (or something like that).

Alas, no. I went back and looked at the silent parts of "M. on P." with subtitles on, and all it says is "[no audio]" and "[audio drops out]." I guess it was silly to think Disney would ignore the audio on other copies of the special but then make the effort to subtitle the script for the missing segments. Ah, well, that hope didn't last long.
  3. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

After seeing the Merisa Berenson episode (for the first time) I gotta say that I LOVE the song by Robin in the UK bit! It was SO BEAUTIFUL!

Robin AKA Jerry Nelson has a beautiful singing voice!
  4. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

This release has all of the uncut season three episodes so that gives it a perfect score in my book.

However, I was a little disappointed in the packaging design and art. The person involved in this has minimal Photoshop skills at best. It's not horrible, just C- grade work. The other releases were much more attractive looking.

The special features are very light. The Muppets on Puppets special is cool. The Company of Players is kind of strange because much of it is lifted from other better documentaries. The brief Purina ads are a delight. I miss Baskerville.

I still think there's something missing. Not the morsels though. I will leave that to others to miss that season one inclusion. The subtitles included songs this time so that makes me happy. The price point at Virgin was just over $30 so that's good.

The menus are pretty. I like that the backdrop is different again, but I'm kind of tired of the Kermit/Piggy dynamic. Even as a fan I now find it tedious and overdone. Give me more Fozzie and Kermit, or even Bunsen and Beaker. I know they have Rowlf, Scooter and the Mayhem puppets built and handy so why not do something with them? I know the frog and pig are a good draw for non-fans, but they would have already purchased their copy by the time they view the menus so this is where fan satisfaction comes in. Heck even Steve performing Rizzo and Eric doing Sam the Eagle would have been better.

But enough of this complaining. It's attractive enough and the episodes of Muppety goodness are all there. Happy frogboy. :)
  5. ploobis

Those Puria Dog Chow commercials were AWESOME!

It also would have been nice to see more interviews from the Company of Players feature. Maybe they'll show more for the future seasons 4 and 5 sets. ;)

I like the music that plays in the Bonus Feature disc menue. I always loved that little instrumental by :sympathy: & :cool: from the Gilda Radner episode.
  6. Muppet Loverr

Muppet Loverr Member

I love the Miss Piggy Menus! It was soo wonderful! But I am upset about the the civer art, with the felt over it, It looks uglyish...
  7. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

Gotta go get mine yet. I ordered it, and I got a call saying it's in (yay)! But I'm stuck at work (grumble)...

Anyway, yeah, the Harry Belafonte one is one of my favorites, right up there with Gilda Radner.

Something that some fans might not know is Zoot's closing note from the original airing of Harry Belafonte's episode. It was played by one of the African masks. (The one on the far right) It ain't on the DVD I'm sure (cause of the ITC logo) but it's just something I remembered.

Looking forward to much Muppety goodness with those DVDs...and as I type this, my programmed VCR is humming away back home, taping Kermit and Fozzie on the View. This is a good day!

Convincing John
  8. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I have to agree I think the Cover was kind of ugly. What really made me upset was the little photoshop job they did where all the Muppets where siting in the Theater seats. Can't they at least take some new still pic of the Muppets. A Compony of Players could have been longer but the interviews it had was alright. Muppets on Puppets was very cool! I thought Jim Did a wonderful job, and to have him talking to Rowlf and Kermit and Rowlf talking to each other was just wonderfull.

The shows themselfs I'm almost through the first two disks and I really think that this season is the best one yet. The Muppets by themselfs and the Muppets with the gust stars just really seem to click. So far my favorit ones are Jean Staploton, her final number with Crazy Harry. The Roy Clark one had me laughing from the very begginging Alice Cooper was the freakest Muppet show i have ever seen. I loved Kermit line though about Julie Andwers. Finaly Wow Loreta Lyenns show was very very cool. I love the idea of doing the show at the train staion, very cool.
  9. uppitymuppity

uppitymuppity Member

I agree about the cover art - kind of a strange un-fozzylike color. Maybe we should all doctor him up like the master replicas gonzo. Speaking of gonzo - I sure hope he's on the next cover!

I had some folks over to watch a couple of episodes (Raquel Welch & the giant spider being my fave) and a lot of them, surprisingly, had never seen the show before. Later in the night they openly exclaimed "What an amazing weird and dark show..." To which I thought to myself that is what i've been saying on MC for months now!
  10. Da Dogster

Da Dogster Member

Season 3

I have now got Season 3 for my fathers day gift and here is my thoughts on this set. I am watching it right now and it is in great quality but once again the set dose not have Muppet info on it. the Muppets on Puppets was the first time i had seen it in a long time, even thought it had some audio drops it was really at it's best. And about Company of Players, it had some clips from Of Muppets And Men but i would love to see some more info on the rest of the cast.

here is a sugestion for season 4 a tribute to the muppet masters, like Richard Hunt, and Jim Henson and others.

plus some clips of Sam and Friends and other muppet comercials.

and to go with the final season The Very Best Of The Muppets: songs from The muppet show would also be great to release.
  11. DTWolf

DTWolf Member

Episode order

I don't remember anyone else mentioning this, so I feel compelled to bring it up: the Leo Sayer episode (second on the disk) really ought to be first. This episode introduces Annie Sue Pig, rival-in-training to Miss Piggy. There is no question that this is the episode meant to be her first appearance.

However, the Kristofferson/Coolidge episode (first on the disk) has Piggy interacting--violently, of course--with Annie Sue as if she's already an established presence.

I'm guessing the DVDs follow the order the programs were first aired--and they were aired in the wrong order, either accidentally or because someone felt Kristofferson and Coolidge were a better way to open the season.

But if (like me) you're a stickler for continuity and seeing things in story order, you'll want to watch Leo Sayer first.
  12. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

If you remember Wolf. In the first season Scooter was already there in the first few episodes then they had an episode later on which introduces him too. But i was wondering the samething. I went to Muppet Wiki to see this and thought shouldn't Annie's first appearance episode be first on the disc or what? But then i thought since they did Scooter the same way that's why happened again.
  13. Son of Enik

Son of Enik Member

Muppets Rule!

I got my set yesterday and am thoroughly enjoying it! I remember each of these episodes as if I only saw them yesterday. Alice Cooper and Harry Beleafonte were always my 2 faves of all time, so I was glad to see them again.
    As for the extras, great stuff! I had never seen the "Muppets on Puppets" program and the Purina commercials were hillarious!
    I would personally like to see the old Wilkins Coffee commercials on the next set, or maybe The LaChoy Dragon...classics stuff.
    All in all I think I'm enjoying this set more than the first two and am really looking forward to the next season!
  14. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Well, I'm ready for season four. :)

My only complaint about the set, as with everyone else, is the box. I love the image of Fozzie's hat on the stool with the microphone (about the only image on the box that's really good). I wish they had used something a little more obscure like that on the cover the way they did with the first two sets. Perhaps a close-up of the picture on the side of the box where Fozzie has the banana in his ear (close-up of the hand and the banana and the ear, that is). Anyway, the box is the least of my concerns since the content is fantastic!

I just hope that they release Of Muppets and Men on the season five DVD even though there are clips of it in A Company of Players. Also, that 60 Minutes special would be cool for the next set (although it should have been on season three).

Now, my vote for the next video menues:

Season 4 live video menu hosts: Gonzo and Rizzo and Rowlf and Fozzie. :sympathy:

Season 5 live video menu hosts: Scooter and Kermit and Bunsen and Beaker. ;)

Oh, just a note to anyone wondering... the repeated sketches, including the ones from season two, were on the episodes when they originally aired.
  15. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Re: Annie Sue

Now, these are just my thoughts about it. I don't know if Annie had ever been fleshed out in terms of background sometime later.

I think Piggy already knew Annie (she's the only one, IIRC, to call her Annabelle), maybe they were from the same county. When Kermit "introduces" her, it could be that he's increasing her workload ... like maybe before she was the lowliest of interns (getting coffee and such) and now she's more like an understudy/background cast member. Piggy would resent Annie's presence and further rise up the ladder (so to speak), maybe because it took her longer to get that kind of attention? Not to mention all the touchy-feely stuff between Annie and Kermit.
  16. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Yeah, Annie Sue was already a minor character during season two.
  17. DTWolf

DTWolf Member

This is more complicated than I realized

I don't want to give this issue more space than it deserves, but . . .

According to Muppet Wiki (http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_301:_Kris_Kristofferson_&_Rita_Coolidge and http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_302:_Leo_Sayer --see the top right corners), the Leo Sayer episode really was filmed after the Kristofferson/Coolidge episode. (Although it seems that in the U.K., Leo Sayer was broadcast several months before K.K/R.C.)

It looks like the DVDs follow production order, not broadcast order, which is exactly what they ought to do.

And I'd forgotten Annie Sue was in Season 2--she seems to be just background and an "anything pig" more than a real character, though.

MAYBE I could convince myself that RedPiggy is right about Annie Sue being promoted, but I still think putting Leo Sayer first makes a LOT more sense of these episodes. So in the future, that's how I'm going to watch them. It's the official order for me, anyway. :)
  18. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Another interesting note about production order, the time between the episode with Helen Reddy and the very next episode with Harry Belafonte is about six months. In that time, a lot of the main characters were rebuilt.

Wasn't there a strike or something during this season? I seem to recall reading about that somewhere. I also would assume that they filmed The Muppet Movie during that six month break. But it also raises another question. The episodes are presented in production order on the set, and in most guides as well (including Muppet Wiki). Yet, the last episode, with Cheryl Ladd, was filmed in May 1978, six months BEFORE the Harry Belafonte episode. I wonder why it's always listed as the last episode?
  19. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I wondered about the Muppet Movie being filmed during season 3, myself, since I think Kermit tells Roy Rogers he's been in "one" film, and Fozzie does comedy in front of a herd of muppet cows ... and on the special features of my Muppet Movie DVD, Fozzie starts telling jokes to a bunch of real cows ... I think some of them are the exact same jokes.
  20. ploobis

In the Purina Dog Chow commercials, I noticed that Jim Henson gave Baskerville a voice that kinda sounded like a goofy sounding Kermit voice. I love those commercials, I just felt like bringing that up. :) :sympathy:

I love the new Season 3 DVD set!