Your Thoughts: Star Wars Episode 7 - The Force Awakens *Contains Spoilers*

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that it's premiere day, here's an official thread for discussing and debating, cheering and jeering, Stars Wars Episode 7. After you see the Disney produced film, please post your review and analysis here.

Please Note: If you haven't seen the movie yet and do not want to be spoiled, please do not read any further.

If you've seen Star Wars: The Force Awakens please like this post and share your thoughts below.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
I went to see TFA on Friday December 18th at 10:00AM With my mom, 7 year Old nephew, and my dad, I absolutely loved it, my whole family loved it!!!!!!!!!!!! my favorite part is Mazz Kanata's Cantina, Kanata was like the new Yoda. I love the humor and feel that TFA is right up there with the originals!!!!!! and I love the score!!!!!!!!

after the movie I went over to FYE to pick up the soundtrack on CD I still buy CD's because the music sounds richer and fuller, from what I hear it has something to do with the Bit Rate It Is a nerd thing !!!!!!!!!!!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm going to have to wait until after Christmas for this one, hopefully the crowd will thin out just a little by then so I'm not in danger of going all the way to the theater and having it sold out. Have to admit, I was nervous as heck about this movie's reception, but the buzz seems to be overwhelmingly positive. After all, they got one of the writers of Empire Strikes Back and ROTJ for this film, and we all know how great those turned out. Lucas selling the franchise is the best thing to happen to it.

Though I'd say the trick would be to make sure the next 2 films and the spinoffs are just as good, if not even better. But, man...am I on pins and needles to actually see this.

Muppy

Reaction score
I went opening night and it was AMAZING!

What are people's thoughts on the choice to kill Han Solo? I personally thought that it was a bittersweet decision. I never saw it coming, and I was really shocked when it happend. The whole scene I kept saying to myself "they can't kill Han. They can't kill Han. They WON'T kill Han." But they did. I think this will be good for the next two movies because it will add some challenges to the story that will only make it stronger.

My favourite character in the movie was hands down Poe Dameron (I think that's how it's spelled). He was funny and a really strong character, I just wish they used more of him. I hope his role gets upgraded in the next movie becuase he was FANTASTIC.

I also hope that R2-D2 and C3P0 get much more screen time in the next movies and same thing with Luke Skywalker. He was in the movie for about 30 seconds, even though the whole film was about looking for him!

All in all, I would give this movie an A+ because the story was rich, the characters were entertaining, I was invested in the movie, the action scenes were great, there was something mysterious about the movie, and I felt intimidated by the villain (who is Han and Leia's son. What are you thoughts on that too?).

TheMuppetFan

Reaction score
When the Lucasfilm logo comes up and the whole theater starts howling with applause, you know it's going to be a good movie. More thoughts on this one tomorrow.

oknazevad

Reaction score
Great film. So very Star Wars done right. Excellent new characters, great performances by the young actors, and Harrison Ford is as good as ever. And I find it humorous that Mark Hamill gets second billing when he's in the film for like 30 seconds, and doesn't say a word. But it makes sense for the plot. It is Rey and Finn's story for the most part, with a large dose of Kylo Ren, and a great new character in Loe. It's not Luke, Leia or Han's story. Han is there to pass the series on to the next generation, as is Leia, and a large part of plot is the search for Luke, but it's about the new characters firstly. It's great that they're good characters played wonderfully by some fine young actors.

TheMuppetFan

Reaction score
I went opening night and it was AMAZING!

What are people's thoughts on the choice to kill Han Solo? I personally thought that it was a bittersweet decision. I never saw it coming, and I was really shocked when it happend. The whole scene I kept saying to myself "they can't kill Han. They can't kill Han. They WON'T kill Han." But they did. I think this will be good for the next two movies because it will add some challenges to the story that will only make it stronger.

My favourite character in the movie was hands down Poe Dameron (I think that's how it's spelled). He was funny and a really strong character, I just wish they used more of him. I hope his role gets upgraded in the next movie becuase he was FANTASTIC.

I also hope that R2-D2 and C3P0 get much more screen time in the next movies and same thing with Luke Skywalker. He was in the movie for about 30 seconds, even though the whole film was about looking for him!

All in all, I would give this movie an A+ because the story was rich, the characters were entertaining, I was invested in the movie, the action scenes were great, there was something mysterious about the movie, and I felt intimidated by the villain (who is Han and Leia's son. What are you thoughts on that too?).
I agree with almost everything that you just said. Walking into the theater, I knew that Han Solo was going to die (because people spoil it) and during that scene I was like, "Wow. This is it. Han Solo is about to die." and then tears started to form. I get really into that sort of stuff, for some reason. And, I agree with you. It will add some challenges for the next two movies to the story that will only make the story stronger.

My favorite character was either Poe Dameron or Han Solo. Poe Dameron because he made me laugh a few times, and I clapped when we realized that he wasn't dead all along and Han Solo because c'mon, it's Harrison Ford and it's the performance that we've been waiting so long to see again!

I feel like C-3PO got a good amount of screen time, but R2-D2 just appeared because of Luke Skywalker not being there. About 15 percent of his screen time was when he was actually working. Hopefully, more screen time on them next movie. I also agree about Luke Skywalker. Mark Hamill got second billing for a 30-second cameo! It was unbelieveable!

And, I'll agree with you. I'll give the movie an A+ because there were a lot of original character returns, and the action scenes were great. (And, I also found it a bit weird that the villain was Han Solo and Princess, oh, whoops, sorry, General Leia's son.)

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Saw the film today!!!

As a huge enthusiast of the behind-the-scenes stuff, this film thrilled me with its mix of CGI and practical effects. I have to confess that I've only been a fan for the last month, but you didn't need to be an obsessed fan to follow along and enjoy the film.

I tried to avoid it, but the feminist in me completely embraced Rey. She held her own; a strong, self-assured woman, but not altogether perfect. I'm looking forward to seeing how her story progresses. I also like Finn. A stormtrooper abandoning his post is a great new ploy for such a long running franchise.

Even though I haven't been a fan for long, I still squealed when Han and Chewie came on screen, as well as all the others. As for Han's death, I saw it coming a mile off, but I still teared up later on when Chewbacca was grieving. I also felt terrible for Leia.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I saw at El Capitan, I loved it and the wookie lives.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed how Poe Dameron tends to resemble a younger Luke Skywalker from A New Hope?

Meanwhile, Rey's encounter with the Skywalkers' lightsaber and her experience with the Force, including the Jedi mind trick gambit with the stormtrooper and the lightsaber duel with Kylo Ren, may indicate that she might be related to Luke or Leia, but I guess that's something which has yet to be revealed in Episode VIII....
As for the new Death Star, during the early development stages, according to the IMDB.com trivia section of A New Hope, "In an early screenplay, Skywalker was a 60 year-old general. In the shooting script, he was called Luke Starkiller but this was changed to Luke Skywalker during production."

As a result, Luke's proposed character name was used for the Starkiller, which could harness the power of stars to destroy worlds and planets....