1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: Spinney's Lifetime Achievement Award

Discussion in 'Sesame Appearances' started by Phillip, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Tonight is a very special evening for Carroll Spinney. He'll be receiving his Lifetime Achievement Award during the 33rd Annual Daytime Emmy Awards. The ceremony will be broadcast live on ABC Friday, APRIL 28, from Hollywood's famed Kodak Theater, from 8-11 p.m. eastern, 7-10 p.m. central.

Be sure to watch the appearance and let us know what you think!

Check out ABC's web site for more info on the 33rd Annual Daytime Emmy Awards...

http://abc.go.com/daytime/awards/index.html
  2. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Just watched it... Here's what I thought.
    Highlights:
    The montage of clips including ABC-DEF-GHI, and Caroll talking about his work on Sesame Street.

What I disliked:
    The fact that Caroll wasn't there to receive it in person...
    And that the presentation got butchered by the announcement of Rosie O'Donnell joining The View.
    It rully killed my buzz about the presentation.

They should've handled it better.
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I LOVED the long standing ovation he got!!! That was so amazing, and his wife was there with him as well. I loved it!

BTW Count, you think that might have been only in your area, cuz when I watched, he was there, like I mentioned about the standing ovation.
  4. DTWolf

DTWolf Member

In the OTHER thread about this award, I just posted my feeling that they really skimped on the time (I didn't know this thread existed till after I'd posted). A mere 3 minutes is hardly enough to honor this man for all he's done. But I did not watch the first hour and a half of the broadcast. Was there any lead-up to the presentation? Did they show any clips of Big Bird or Oscar or Caroll Spinney before the presentation itself?
  5. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Oh... Thanks for that Snowthmeiser... These blind batty eyes of mine you know.
    DTWolf, agreed, there should've been more time. As far as build-up for the presentation... The mention of it when the person accepting on Sesame's behalf the award for Best Children's Series would count I guess.
    There were clips during the presentation... I just think that they should've brought him out on stage and allowed him to give a speech of his own.
    The whole thing was just another annoying awards show anyway... Hope this helps.
  6. rlopez2682

rlopez2682 New Member

Would there be a video clip of the presentation posted somewhere??? thanks!
  7. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

I agree that there should have been more time, and I would have liked to hear his entire speech--after all, that only seems fair for a lifetime of achievement. Still, seeing everyone stand up to applaud such a talented man was worth it.
  8. Garland

Garland New Member

I too wanted Carroll to speak at the main award moment but it least we got to see Oscar silently mock the speaker during the Sesame Street Emmy acceptance speech.
  9. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

In case anyone missed the ceremony, it repeats on SOAPnet Monday at 3pm EST. It also re-aired this morning, but I didn't know 'til it was just about over.

SS's (televised) Emmy win came about 40 minutes into the show, and Carroll's montage came nearly an hour-and-a-half into it.

I recorded the show on my DirecTV, then recorded the SS parts that I wanted onto VHS later in the night, 'cause there was no way I was sitting through that show for just 5 minutes of Muppet glory. Either way, it was cool to Carroll Spinney being recognized.
  10. Mickey Moose

Mickey Moose New Member

I agree with most that it was too short, and we should have gotten to see more of his acceptence speech. It also would have been a nice touch if they had Big Bird present the award to him.
  11. rowlf84

rowlf84 New Member

But...he IS Big Bird.

It was wonderful to see the respect that Caroll received from the audience. It was also wonderful to hear the audience cheer for SS when their nomination was announced. Still everyone's favorite.
  12. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

What clips were shown? Were there any clips from the first season of Sesame Street? Any clips with Bruno? Any clips with his non-regular characters? How about non-Sesame clips, like Bozo's Big Top or Wow, You're a Cartoonist!?
  13. OverUnderAround

OverUnderAround New Member

I also was disappointed at the lack of time he was given. Here's the man supposedly honored with a lifetime acheivement award and he isn't allowed to speak! But we hear all those other unknowns on the stage rant on-and-on.

It just goes to prove that the Daytime Emmy awards producers don't know a true global star when they see one.

The characters Mr. Spinney has brought to life are world famous. Who in that entire building can make that claim? He deserved more of a tribute.

Oh! It was also nice to see his wife Debbie with him.
  14. Robin

Robin New Member

Legend!!!

To put it plain and simple... This man added so much to my wonderful childhood! Cheers and Congrats too a Bird who decided to go to NYC when the other muppets went to Hollywood... that took some major giblets!!!! Also to a crabby garbage dweller whose stench and bad attitude make sesame street so diverse!!!! YAYYYYYY love ya Mr. Spinney!!!!

PS
    I saw that wonderful Jim Henson Twinkle in Carroll's eye... It was nice!!
  15. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

I don't care who it is that gets a lifetime acheivment award...I think it is rude to turn a presentation like that into a plug for Rosie O'donell on the View.... I thought that the presentation of the award should have been a bigger deal (on most shows I think it is) Although it is still nice Carroll Spinney get the award it was a shame to see someone who really did acheive much in his life get so little hoopla.
  16. Robin

Robin New Member

Ha ha

Rosie is yuck city!!! but, I'm sure Big Bird will forgive her and Barbara WaWa...
    and Oscar will take them out with the trash... If the Emmy's won't honor Mr Spinney the right way... let us erect a temple to him larger, and grander than any God has ever seen... Larger than the pyramids... Grander than any Golden God that Moses warned against as he led the Jews from Slavery to the land of milk and honey!!!! we'll build it on the salt flats!!!! Who is in? He will be worshiped forever or people will die!!!!!
  17. travellingpat

travellingpat Active Member

IM IN!!! lol
  18. Garland

Garland New Member

I'm in too...As the Great Bird once said..."ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"
  19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I know that this is an old subject, but I've been out for a while, so...

I felt it was the most disgraceful thing ever. Here we have an internationally beloved television star who for almost 40 years has performed 2 of the most instantly recognizable characters in existance, and they give him a 2 minute retrospective so they can make room for that Rosie announcement that I've heard all day. And they gave him the award at the ghetto Emmys for "best lighting" and "best catering of a vegitarian dish for a local news program." Disgraceful.

I was livid. The entire show was a circus. A nightmarish circus evil cartoon clowns like the Joker hideout in. What audience specifically did they have to "hip" the show up for? Everyone watching is a 30 year old + housewife. They don't want hip.
  20. Brinatello

Brinatello New Member

Sorry to be late on this too, but I agree with the majority of those who felt Carroll got a less well-deserved screen time at the Daytime Emmy's. The video clips with Jim Henson and Sesame Street were awesome to watch, but I was upset to see Carroll only stand up, wave to the cheering audience and then sit back down! It feels as though the children's shows, cartoons and actors don't get as much attention as say, the soap opera stars.

Example: I remember in 1999 when Rob Paulsen won a Daytime Emmy for the voice of Pinky from "Pinky and the Brain." I was absolutely ecstatic and had to personally congratulate him for the huge honor. At the same awards, Susan Lucci finally broke her 19 nominations streak and won Best Actress for Erica Kane from "All My Children." She got a four minute standing ovation, not to mention received the most attention on the late night news after the awards. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, in fact, I was very happy for her. I just wish Rob got the same treatment as she did! And now, I don't think they have a category for voice actors at the Emmys.