Sesame Street Special "The Cookie Thief"

Luke kun

Reaction score
Ehhh, it was okay, I guess. So did the skits end it?

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
This special was fantastic! Like Frederic said, it was kinda like a Sesame version of MMW. The songs were great, the bits with Grover were funny, Prairie was funny. "I think I should retire" was definitely Fran saying goodbye to us. The WOTD bit was pretty good. I've already seen the B&EGA on a DVD so it wasn't new to me. Of course, I hated having the typical intro and closing credits, but hopefully that will change for the DVD. Overall, I loved it.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
This was such a cute special!! It totally reminded me of Don't Eat the Pictures with Cookie wanting to eat the cookie art. There were so many scenes I enjoyed: the musical numbers, the Grover skits/the paintings, etc...

I loved Prairie's role here, she's perfect as a tour guide. Rachel Dratch really stole the show here, And Terry Crews was so funny as always in his Word of the Day segment. It's cute that the segments after the special are all art-related.

I gotta admit, I'd love to watch this special again.:smile:

This special was fantastic! Like Frederic said, it was kinda like a Sesame version of MMW. Prairie was funny. "I think I should retire" was definitely Fran saying goodbye to us.
I know, right??!

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, if it's one thing that annoyed the heck out of me, and this is ALL on PBS, it's those stupid in show promos of the show we're watching right now! And the timing of them popping up was abysmal. At one point, they had a Cookie Monster the same exact size as the one onscreen dancing around, leading to an awkward moment of 2 Cookies on Screen with no distinction that it was a promo until 30 seconds later when "You are Watching The Cookie Thief" finally popped up.

Really, PBS?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't think so. They weren't useless, they were trying to do their job - they just, unfortunately, believed Cookie Monster was the cookie thief, but that was justifiable: Cookie was having trouble controling himself, particularly wanting to get a closer look at the Muncha Lisa, which was the first to disappear; as far as the cookie patrol was concerned, Cookie was the logical suspect.
The main thing that got me wondering about the uselessness was the fact that the guard just stopped guarding the first painting that got stolen to go on a cookie break, without getting someone else to guard it.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
There's a great complimentary article up on toughpigs about the various paintings seen in the MOMC during the special. It's especially informative for visually challenged viewers like myself. Although... I think they got a bit lazy with the spoof painter's names, just inserting the word "Cookie" wherever they could. C'mon guys, you're much cleverer than that. Do I have to go on a Tim Kazurinsky rant about the death of NY Times headlines here? *Wonders if anyone will get that reference.

Instead of Salvador Cookie Dali, why not Samoa-dor Dali.
Rather than Cookie Matisse, you could have gone with Henri Chocolate Chip Maltisse.
Forget Johannes Cookie Vermeer when you can go with Johannes Vanilla-Shmeer.
Rebrand Emmanuel Cookie Loots as Emmanuel Fig-Newtons.
Cookie Warhole? What about Andy Smoreshole?

Couple of missed opportunities.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
That was a pretty good special; I can definitely see it getting a DVD release later this year. The skits with Grover were great, I could see the international shows using them as Muppet bits. I liked the songs too; Cookie's song after they were thrown out was nigh-heartbreaking.

I do wish that it had its own intro and credit sequence, instead of giving it the standard SS theme opening.

And the ultimate in-joke: Fran's last line as Prairie is saying she needs to retire.
Wow, I agree. Yes, a better intro would have been better, and maybe instead of the same old "primary colors" song that is already featured several times on the show, we could have an actual scene of GETTING to the museum. You know like how in Peter and the Wolf we see Baby Bear going with Papa Bear to the orchestra. I also really wish Big Bird and Oscar could have been in it somewhere. Maybe a cameo or instead of random Anything Muppets in the end.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
You know, if it's one thing that annoyed the heck out of me, and this is ALL on PBS, it's those stupid in show promos of the show we're watching right now! And the timing of them popping up was abysmal. At one point, they had a Cookie Monster the same exact size as the one onscreen dancing around, leading to an awkward moment of 2 Cookies on Screen with no distinction that it was a promo until 30 seconds later when "You are Watching The Cookie Thief" finally popped up.

Really, PBS?
I know!! I got sort of freaked out when the ad first popped up because of the fact that there were two Cookie Monsters XD.

That ToughPigs article is super funny (I'm such an art nerd:wink:), and...

...oh my gosh!!!

D'Snowth

Reaction score

Really, PBS?
I know right? That really threw me off the first time it happened, especially considering they have Cookie Monster pop in first, then he was followed by the promo. . . . and if you think it threw us adults off, imagine how confused the little kids watching may have been when it's like, "Why is there suddenly two Cookie Monsters?"

But I honestly am surprised how . . . "commercial" PBS has gone recently. Not commercial in the literal sense, but the on-screen promos during show? Station ID bugs (which my PBS used to never do)? Full programming or station bumpers and promos between the end of a show and the credits? And I see in some cases, they're shrinking the credits for more promos, just like network and cable do.

IS THIS WHAT YOU WANTED, MEATHEAD ROMNEY?!
I know!! I got sort of freaked out when the ad first popped up because of the fact that there were two Cookie Monsters XD.
That ToughPigs article is super funny (I'm such an art nerd:wink:), and...
...oh my gosh!!!

Heh. When I saw that in the background, I thought how cool that was to give Walter something of a little shout-out nod.