Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 43

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It was about a mouse trying to bring cheese to a rat in a restaurant-type setting, yet not being able to get the door open to come out while holding the cheese.
Yeah, that's a repeat.

Hubert

Reaction score
I thought it might be, but I wouldn't know since I tend to slack on SST watching. Either way, it's a good sketch.

Regarding Elmo: The Musical, I'm really liking it so far. Being the music lover I am, this beats Elmo's World any day.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
After the ep, can someone post a full sketch listing please?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This was a good episode. I think it's episode number 4334 (hey, a number palindrome! And the first two digits are 43, like the season number!)

Here's a rundown. I might be forgetting something (in fact I forget what the letter of the day is, and of course I forget what letter segments were included), and I might be slightly off on the order, but here goes:
  • Street Story: Cookie Monster joins a cookie club
  • Word of the Day: Nibble with Hallie Berry and Elmo
  • Cartoon: A girl has to wait to do a number of different things
  • Abby's Flying Fairy School (wasn't really paying attention to the plot... There's some kind of talking tree involved)
  • By 5 with Train, Elmo, and The Count
  • Super Grover 2.0: Wedge of Cheese
  • Two-headed Monster: Glasses of Milk
  • Elmo the Musical!: Guacomole the Musical
I also noticed Cookie Monster's voice sounding a little different (I think deeper-sounding), but characters often sound different over time regardless if the performer changes or not. In this episode I also noticed David Rudman's half of The Two-Headed Monster sounding more like Cookie Monster. Never really noticed this before.

I missed the very beginning, but I didn't notice any dedications to Jerry Nelson (I assume it would come after the credits).

Drtooth

Reaction score
What a strong opener. Super Grover 2.0 repeat aside... this was a very good way to kick off the new season. A wonderfully hilarious Cookie Monster street story, a new Abby, and the new Elmo segment I'm going to gush about.

I really liked how Allen was comedically nervous about Cookie Monster popping up. You don't see him do too much of that. Just out of character enough to work and be some great comedic tension. David added a wonderful, almost Monty Python-esque comedic presence... I love how straight faced his first reaction to Cookie Monster was. And we really got to see Cookie Monster stretch as a character again. Plus, it's always fun to make fun of wine snobs. Imagine if he had to spit the cookies out, like in a real wine tasting?

Hallie Berry's segment was much more fun that I thought it would be, that segment about the girl waiting had some lovely animation, the Murray Tune ins were much less intrusive and cut to the point (except for the reused guessing game at the end)... Abby's segment was good as usual. And it's always great to see a new Two Headed Monster segment, especially one that holds up to the classic ones.

I will say the only thing that inhibited my enjoyment of the Five song was just the depressing thought about it being one of the last things Jerry did, and his passing is really starting to sink in.

But Elmo the Musical... where to begin? With Elmo's World, I feel that I could pull out a copy of War and Peace, read through the whole thing, and it would barely be through the insert film about children doing whatever the subject was. ETM? Sped by so fast, I almost couldn't believe it was over. Well, that's what happens when you have an engaging plot, fun music, and interacting with other characters. This was one of the best things to happen to Sesame Street for some time. Sure, Elmo's World had it's moments, but I don't think anyone's going to mourn the loss of that stale thing.

Hubert

Reaction score
I have to say that after watching the episode in whole, this is the absolute most I've enjoyed Sesame Street in years. I think the Elmo: The Musical thing really helped a lot with that, because the Elmo's World segments went so slow that it didn't give me a complete ending. This did, and I just thought everything was so well rounded in the episode. The street scene was awesome, the new Two-Headed Monster sketch, "Five By"...I just loved this episode so much...hopefully more goodness will be on its way this season.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I didn't think today's Elmo the Musical was too great. It's just one episode so far, maybe it'll get better later on, but it feels more like a typical kids show (like Blues Clues or Dora the Explorer). I like Velvet the curtain, and actually most of the CGI was impressive here. But so far this segment doesn't really do it for me. Interestingly, I really liked Elmo's World a lot better when it premiered but within a year got tired of it. Will the opposite happen with Elmo the Musical?

Why do I get the feeling that the first Sesame Street DVD of next year will be an Elmo the Musical release?

muppetlover123

Reaction score
I hope an Elmo the musical episode makes it to YouTube this week and maybe the cookie street scene

jgidley

Reaction score
Does anyone know if full episodes are posted on the website, or pbskids.org?