Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 39

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Some writer at Sesame Workshop must still think old-school methods work best...)
Just as long as that means that Oscar, Big Bird, Cookie, Count, and Prarie aren't reduced to filler.
[*]Elmo was confined to the Elmo's World segment--and even then, he interacted with more characters from the main show. It's good to see him act like one of the gang and not demand center stage, even when he has the title role.
Indeed. Hopefully it stays as such. It's not that I dislike Elmo, but him being in nearly every Street story along with his own segment does get a bit tiresome and does irk me a bit.
Sesame Workshop's new logo is more viewer-friendly; the "house/lightning/stars" graphic means less to casual fans, than Muppet graphics from Sesame Street itself.
Yes, but the logo's been that way for generations. Why change it now? Plus, tacking Elmo on it was a bit much, honestly.
(When older kids still watched Sesame Street, that might have gone differently; but I doubt anyone except the parents reacts that strongly to a star appearance now.)
I am sure that if Hannah Montanna or the Jonas Brothers appeared on the Street, the older kids of today's generation would be glued to the screen. XD

[*]Speaking of "Murray Has a Little Lamb", the basic idea (guessing what foreign words mean from context) is good. The segment itself could have been shorter, though, and relied less on odd sight gags. (A hot-dog vendor serving a karate-school green belt...what the [bleep]? ! ?)
I just hope that Murray doesn't become a Dora, and I question why Rosita--who already was billingual--didn't join Murray in his quest to learn Spanish?

As to the claymation Ernie & Bert, I certainly hope this doesn't replace the puppet characters, considering the two have been a Street staple since the show began (for personally, they--to me--are the Kermit & Fozzie of the show).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A'ight, Sesame Street's been set on the living room DVR, so looks like I'll be seeing the new episodes after all.

Too bad I still won't be able to do my reviews again this year since everybody else is doin' it, now it's no longer cool.

ISNorden

Reaction score
wwfpooh said:
Just as long as that means that Oscar, Big Bird, Cookie, Count, and Prarie aren't reduced to filler.
I don't mind seeing the classic Muppets on new episodes, but the way some Muppets appear in the "thing of the day" announcements (and little else!) feels like pigeonholing. Yes, Cookie Monster has been eating letters since Episode 1; but that wasn't what he was mainly designed to teach. And yes, the Count's punny name implies he was meant to teach numbers; but he's not the only character (Muppet or human) who's ever announced the number of the day.

wwfpooh said:
Indeed. Hopefully it stays as such. It's not that I dislike Elmo, but him being in nearly every Street story along with his own segment does get a bit tiresome and does irk me a bit.
Great minds think alike; old-schoolers who like Elmo do exist, so he's not a bad character in himself. The overexposure he got, on the other hand...*shrug*

wwfpooh said:
Yes, but the logo's been that way for generations. Why change it now? Plus, tacking Elmo on it was a bit much, honestly.
I guess that SW wanted something recognizable to all ages, and that whichever advertising firm works with them thought the change was a good idea.

wwfpooh said:
I am sure that if Hannah Montanna or the Jonas Brothers appeared on the Street, the older kids of today's generation would be glued to the screen.
Touché--although celebrity spots usually last for only a few minutes, and Sesame Street still gets stigmatized as a "baby show". Peer pressure does sometimes outweigh fan loyalty.

wwfpooh said:
I just hope that Murray doesn't become a Dora, and I question why Rosita--who already was billingual--didn't join Murray in his quest to learn Spanish?
Both good observations; the lesson material doesn't need to be dumbed down any further, and a Spanish-teaching segment without Rosita feels odd nowadays. (Then again, I complained about similar character pigeonholing earlier!)

wwfpooh said:
As to the claymation Ernie & Bert, I certainly hope this doesn't replace the puppet characters, considering the two have been a Street staple since the show began (for personally, they--to me--are the Kermit & Fozzie of the show).
Agreed on both counts. Yes, Jim Henson's own creative work with CTW extended beyond the Muppets; but Bert and Ernie have been puppets even before Sesame Street went national, and shouldn't have their original incarnations thrown away.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Episode: 4161 "The Triangle of Destiny"

Storyline: Loved it. Enjoyed all of Telly's scenes with Chris and Leela. And being that it was another Indiana Jones which made it even more fun to watch. And then Murray was there too! I had heard that Murray was going to be in one of the street scenes from the storyline i read over at Sesame Street.org. It was so cool to see Murray being that he hadn't been in a street scene at all. Glad to see him in there. Hope to see more of him either with other characters too.

Ernie and Bert's Great Adventrue: Tiny Town was cool to see. I had already seen it once because of the DVD "Count on Sports" that has it in there too but i'm going to love these. I just wished what it said over at Wiki that it was going to show Ernie and Bert looking at old pictures (that is the Puppet versions) and they take a trip down memory lane. But it's still cool to see.

Cool to see Gordon doing the Letter of the Day, # and the Sponers at the end. Cool beaners. Can't wait for more to come and to see other characters. Yeaaaaaaah!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
A'ight, Sesame Street's been set on the living room DVR, so looks like I'll be seeing the new episodes after all.
And you didn't think of that before because....?

Welll, at least I'll be able to tape the episodes now.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... Today's review.
Episode 4162: Telly's New Shoes.
Aired: August 12 2008.
Season: 39.
Sponsors: S, 10.
Word on the Street: Pirouette.
Street Story.
The Fairy Shoe Person's song... Ladies and gentlemen, Doogie Howser MD!
*Seriously, does anybody other than me even remember that as Neil Patrick Harris's signature TV role?
Chris: "You've got to do something!"
Fairy Shoe Person: "Sorry, if you have a problem you'll have to take it up with the manufacturer."
Points for the old cartoon elevator shoe gag.
Telly: "Monsters don't need shoes, we can do everything in them."
Sanitary issues anybody?
Film: Mr. Shoe asks about what do your shoes say about you?
Celebrity Word of the Day: Lorena and Lorna Feijoo with Grover explain "pirouette".
Film: Zoe (voiceover) comments on practicing ballet dancers.
Letter of the Day: Gabi and her feet teach the letter S, S is for sneaker, sandal, and sock.
Film/Song: S, You're The Best.
Animation: Seymour the Snake/Snail, not entirely sure.
Murray Has a Little Lamb: Farm School.
We have a cow, a pig, and a chicken... So let's kill and cook and eat them!
Song: Being a Pig.
Number of the Day: Gabi counts her toes to get 10.
Animation/Song: Animals in an Elevator, Going Down, Addition Version.
Muppet-Kid Moments: The Count counts to 10 in sign language with the help of Samara, Bob's niece?
Film: Explanation of the Human Body, this feels like something from Season 36 though I could be wrong.
Spanish Word of the Day: Professor Grover teaches his class about "zapato".
Muppets: The Twiddlebugs search for Thomas's missing snowshoe.
Song: Exploring In Your Closet.
Unknown Segment with Game Show type music.
Elmo's World: Getting Dressed.
Gabi presents the sponsors, then runs.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not so much Murray, but the Little Lamb. I reiterate, is there even time for anything else if these 2 are recurring daily segments? I really think they should be alternates or something (the other I refer to is the Ernie and Bert segment). I still think that taking characters out to the real world and interacting with real people is the most amazing thing I've seen on SS in years. I don't know why, but I feel Jim would have been proud to see that. It makes the characters real, IMO.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
That's a lot more segments that yesterday's.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score

Too bad I still won't be able to do my reviews again this year since everybody else is doin' it, now it's no longer cool.
You can still do it.