Your Thoughts on Sam Plenty

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I really don't know where to post this so if it has to be moved so be it. I have a question about Sam Pleanty, and here it is has anyone seen it, and if you have what are your thoughts about it.

WOCKA2416

Reaction score
I really don't know where to post this so if it has to be moved so be it. I have a question about Sam Pleanty, and here it is has anyone seen it, and if you have what are your thoughts about it.
I liked it. It was stupid, but funny stupid. I think it succeeded at what it was trying to do. It was different and fun. What did you think of it?

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
I've seen it now and I feel confident in commenting on it. I agree with Wocka2416, it's "stupid" funny, and normally I like "stupid" funny. And I'm not saying I really dislike this, but I just don't like it. It reminds me a lot of Adult Swim's Saul of the Mole Men, with the obviously fake backgrounds, purposefully bad acting, and an overall "it's so funny because it's so cheap and alternative" vibe. It's nice that they've got something on the web and in front of viewers in such a quick turnaround time, but it's just not for me. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:search: Pretty interface and richly developed niche content, but just not my taste. I predict that this project has been either launched too soon or too late to find its appropriate target market. I could be wrong; however I see a bad timing issue. Kudos to Henson for attempting something fresh and diverse. I still hope it works out for them. :scary:

Please just give us the Dark Crystal theatrical movie and this fanboy will be a very happy frogboy indeed! :excited:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I've seen it now and I feel confident in commenting on it. I agree with Wocka2416, it's "stupid" funny, and normally I like "stupid" funny. And I'm not saying I really dislike this, but I just don't like it. It reminds me a lot of Adult Swim's Saul of the Mole Men, with the obviously fake backgrounds, purposefully bad acting, and an overall "it's so funny because it's so cheap and alternative" vibe. It's nice that they've got something on the web and in front of viewers in such a quick turnaround time, but it's just not for me. :smile:
Yea I think it's going to be like Steve Erwin, when he was alive. Ethier you really like him or ya really don't. Now that don't mean he was a bad person, but his way of doing things with animals was not for everyone.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I may have posted this elsewhere, but...

It's probably the stupidest thing the company has ever done. That said, I think it's hilarious.

"There are thousands of us!"

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Just some random thoughts/comments/insights/ramblings....

I love Sam Plenty. It's so silly and over the top. It is very Henson-y (even if it doesn't have puppets).

This project is a labor of love. It is a "just for fun" kind of project that Henson is doing to nurture and develop talent, and have fun. This isn't a big money maker for the company -- there are no ads sponsoring the videos, no cost to purchase/access the content... this is basically being given away for free (and aside from a small link in the copyright of the site, not even really a heavy-handed promo for the Henson Company). It is something they did to simply have fun and entertain.

I can't get the sing-along song out of my head....yodelay-ee, yodelay-ee, yodelay-ee!

One thing I love about this is how simple it is. They use a lot of simple (and sometimes silly) film "tricks", and that's a great part of the charm. It goes to show how simple and fun film making can be. I hope this inspires some kids to get a camera, some friends and do something like this. Any 10 year old with a cheap camera and even the simplest video editor could replicate the effects seen in this. I hope people see this and see that you can make a fun action/adventure epic without all kinds of expensive equiptment/locations/costumes/sets/cameras/CGI/ect. When I was younger I made silly videos like this, they were lots of fun to make and used the same kind of tricks.

I love Sanso Pontapuntaquenia! He should direct more mainstream films.

Unlike the Henson Alternative project, this is fun for the whole family, and that's always nice to see.

I love how they built a whole website and a whole world for this production. They could have just slapped the individual videos up in the Henson.com video section or on a YouTube-like site. But they built a whole world to frame the show, and gave it a context and home of its own.

Has anyone decoded the messages with the decoder ring? I haven't.

I'd love to see Henson do more things like this -- not necessarily more live-action sci-fi/cowboy shows, but more original, and free, web content that's presented with such a simple and convenient site (no ads, no junk, no buffering/streaming, no pop-ups, not a lot of unneeded links, not content buried or lost in a big/cumbersome site, etc.) It's just simple, fun, hastle free, and an all-around sharp presentation.

The fake cast bios are loads of fun. If you haven't read them, I suggest that do so now.

Can't wait for episode 3...um, I mean 5.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Yea i can see how it is just for the fun of doing it kind of thing. I mean if I had a comapny like Henson and we would do something silly like this. I would also try and bring back Bozo the clown, but thats a whole other thread.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Sam Plenty...

Now, while I wasn't sure about his appearence in "Sam Plenty and the Runaway Lemons", was uneasy about his acting in "Sam Plenty Follows Fivel's Good Idea and Goes West...or Sort of North-Westrly," and "Sam Plenty Sits on the Porch and Sings", I completly adore this new series of his!

I think the director Sanso Pontapuntaquenia is inspired. His use of lighting is fantastic, and he has a pet parrot. His last movie, "Clay Eats the Woodwork" was recomended as Movie of the Year by at least two people three years ago.

But seriously, the first thing this story and setting and webisodes does (do?) is allow the use of the imagination. And for me, that is the most important thing for any movie, any series, any anything...

I am going to get behind this project. I adore it. I love everything about it.

Bea:zany:{And I'm sure the inspiration for this series had nooothing to do with MopFam...}regard

Beauregard

Reaction score
So...

Sam Plenty has put two new episodes up and I, for one, completly adore them. So funny and clever and...well, entertaining. I hope to see more of this series, and maybe a dvd release sometime!