Your Thoughts: Muppets on the Nick & Jessica Variety Hour

wembleyfraggle

Reaction score
Sunrise said:
Did anybody else think that Piggy was not being performed by Frank Oz? It just did not ring true to my ear. Either she was being voiced by someone doing their best impression, or Oz's own voice has changed drastically. The bit was funny, but too short. If that wasn't Oz playing Piggy, Disney just slipped another few notches of respect. :mad:
Where have you been? Piggy/ Fozzie and all of Oz's characters haven't been played by him in a while! Did anybody else notice how ugly Piggy was? :mad: Her build looked tiny. Her face looked more like Annie Sue! I thought I heared somwhere that they were supposed to announce their new tv show.

Ty

McFraggle

Reaction score
I thought the segment was alright, it was what it was. By the way, does Frank not have anything to do with the Muppets anymore.

fragglerockr

Reaction score
Yeah,

I was over discussing the Piggy puppet with some of the guys at Toughpigs and I think we all came to the agreement that it has something to do with her eyes. It's the placement or something. It just makes her look different somehow.

Fragglerockr

jediX

Reaction score
Meh is all I can say about it. Wasn't good. Wasn't horrible. Just meh.

dmx10101

Reaction score
I saw the whole show, it was less of a variety show and more of a musical fest. It was a bit boring, I would have liked more regular skits and less singing. But the Muppet appearance was good, a bit short though, and I would have liked it if there would of been more Muppets on it.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
A bit too short for my liking; they could have found ways to stretch that bit out. Nick and Jessica could have fought it out with Kermit and Piggy (but mostly Piggy) for rights to the soundstage, for example. Plus, I dislike that Pepe has apparently usurped Scooter's role as go-fer/backstage manager.

Sunrise said:
Did anybody else think that Piggy was not being performed by Frank Oz? It just did not ring true to my ear. Either she was being voiced by someone doing their best impression, or Oz's own voice has changed drastically. The bit was funny, but too short. If that wasn't Oz playing Piggy, Disney just slipped another few notches of respect. :mad:
Don't put the blame on Disney for that. Frank has been distancing himself from the Muppets for a while now. Eric Jacobsen has since taken over Piggy, Fozzie, Bert, et al. And personally I think he's doing a pretty decent job with those characters.

-Kim

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Where to start

You guys amaze me. This was a great oppretuinty for the muppets and personlay i think what the show was really trying to do was put some people that have not been in the spotlight for some time and put them back in.

This was to kind of test the waters of a prime time audience to see if the muppets still had what it took for prime-time. I did however find pepee being there kind of funny but yet Scooter could have done a better job.

On the show itself i never watched the newly weds show. but i thought that this was very famly oriented and thats great!!! We need more of that, people are to much into non-famly stuff so even if the muppets did a show it would not last because people would not like it being to famly oriented.

G-MAN

Reaction score
The only thing I didn't like was the simple fact that even though it was supposed to be The Nick And Jessica Variety Hour, everything seemed to revolve around Jessica.

sk8er_kermie

Reaction score
Nick and Jessica Variety (Sour) Hour

that show was awful :boo: ! kermit and piggy did bring some excitement to it though :smile: ! if it weren't for them i probabaly would have changed the channel before i fell asleep:sleep:! Newlyweds is funny...that was just pure lame! oh and i agree with GMan that the show did revolve around Jessica. there was barely any Nick.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Didn't see it, but a few points to make on what I've read. Jessica's dad is her manager, and he likely had all this started somehow so that's why she's probably more focused on--that and she's a whiney baby from what I've seen on her show. Had I been Nick, I would have run the other way, but apparently he likes a challenge. I also read recently that she's getting all the spotlights and shows and awards and there's some jealousy on the homefront, but I paraphrase as I have no bibliography to back that up.

Frank Oz practically quit the Muppets like around 7 years ago or so with only a once in a while visit to perform anything on SS or otherwise; most of the Muppets productions have all been voiceovers which is why his characters weren't very funny in the last couple of films. Jacobson brought Fozzie back to life again for sure and is awesome on the other Oz characters.

Another hit against the show was likely the fact that there hasn't been a variety show (or writers for such) since the late 70's/early 80's. Once that kind of programming gets back on track again such shows could be famously funny again.

On the other hand, it's really sad that the Muppets had to depend on their breif appearance on this show to determine their popularity in achieving another show of their own. Basically saying: The unpopularity anymore of Mr. T or Nick/Jessica or whoever else could delay or deny the Muppets of their true calling.